Love this statement by Richt

Richt wants them home again. He didn't say they would be allowed on the sidelines. I believe the Admin put an end to that, not Golden. The decision was made following the Shapiro mess.

Hopefully, it's not just a BBQ on campus with the former players. They should be allowed on the sidelines. It's tradition. It sets a standard for current players.

I agree. I don't think there is anything wrong with former players on the sideline. It got out of the control with boosters and such and we saw what happened. I mean look at USC when Bush and them were there. They had fricken Snoop Dogg and movie stars on the sidelines...It's a great recruiting tool, but it's just going to bite you in the *** in the long run. I think it's something that is easily controllable if handled correctly.

Advertisement
Richt wants them home again. He didn't say they would be allowed on the sidelines. I believe the Admin put an end to that, not Golden. The decision was made following the Shapiro mess.

Hopefully, it's not just a BBQ on campus with the former players. They should be allowed on the sidelines. It's tradition. It sets a standard for current players.

I agree. I don't think there is anything wrong with former players on the sideline. It got out of the control with boosters and such and we saw what happened. I mean look at USC when Bush and them were there. They had fricken Snoop Dogg and movie stars on the sidelines...It's a great recruiting tool, but it's just going to bite you in the *** in the long run. I think it's something that is easily controllable if handled correctly.

Just restrict it to players and celebrities, no Nevin characters running around, once the sanctions are up players can be back on the sideline.

The reason why Richt will bring alumni back and why Golden closed things off from them, is that Richt has the clout and is respected enough to do his thing, while Golden proved to them he didn't deserve their respect.
Remember when we said these same things about Golden and Shannon? Not the part about clout, but just about bringing the guys back? Just bizarre how it ended up playing out.

Richt isn't a bull****ter trying to win votes and make new friends like the last guy was though. That's the big difference for me.

I keep thinking this. I don't want to be a downer, I like what's been done so far, I just remember that al said all the right things. He had players come back and talk to the team. I keep reminding myself that Richt isn't a snake oil salesman like al, but it's hard not to get flashbacks.

Lol. Golden ended the whole "welcome back with open arms" thing when he invited a bunch of former Canes into a defensive film session and guys like Julio Cortez (I think it was) started tearing Dno a new one with his questions about the 3-4 scheme. I remember Dave Hyde did an article about it in the Sun Sentinel. That was the "end of the end".

All that said, Richt is an alumni. He if anyone knows how important it is to have those guys coming back. Its apart of what makes Miami the "U"....We stop doing that and we are just another university.

here's the article referred to if anyone is interested.

Ex-Canes criticize Al Golden - Sun Sentinel

The first shot in this ugly Civil War? It wasn't former Miami star Philip Buchanon calling coach Al Golden "Al Folden'' on Twitter. It wasn't former lineman Joaquin Gonzalez tweeting, "I think it's time for a new (defensive) coordinator."

The first shot came, face to face, behind closed doors. Golden invited former players to watch video of the spring game with current players. It started pleasantly enough. Dozens of alumni stood up, introduced themselves. Ted Hendricks. Brett Romberg.

"I'm Edgerrin James, and this is my room,'' the great running back said in the meeting room he donated money to build.

Everyone laughed. That's how the day began. As the video began, Golden told any alum with a question to ask it.

Julio Cortes, a captain of the 1983 championship team, remembers raising a hand after a few plays.

"I was looking at No. 51, the linebacker, which is what I played, and he's not reading his keys,'' Cortes said. "I'm watching the guard pull. The linebacker doesn't read him. He gets smoked. If you follow your keys, that doesn't happen.

"So I said, 'What is that guy coached to read?' And then I said, 'And why is he not hustling when the ball's on the other side of the field?' It upset me. I didn't know No. 51 was Denzel Perryman, their best player. They didn't have names on their jersey.

"I just wanted to know what they were being coached. And I didn't get a good answer. They said, 'It's different now.' OK, I said, 'What's the linebacker taught? What's his keys?' "

Someone else jumped in with a question. And another former player. It began growing loud that day and has grown louder right through Saturday's loss at Georgia Tech to the point it's open season on Golden.

And now some former Miami players say they are being threatened with not being welcome in the building they once ruled if this continues.

Not if the losing continues.

The 'Cane-on-'Cane hating.

It's sad to watch if you've been around Miami at its best, its strongest, when the link between football generations set this program apart. Michael Irvin would call the phone in his old dorm room and talk up the freshman answering. Old quarterbacks counseled new ones. NFL stars worked out beside UM players.

Now they might not be welcome?

It's not a rosy time for anyone around Coral Gables, starting with Golden. He's actually one of the more sensitive men in that job. How many coaches cry after a tough loss (at Virginia Tech) or careen around the stadium after tight wins (Florida, at Georgia Tech).

It can't be easy being the target of so much anger from the very people from whom you expect support. But that's the state of this program. And these players who built it, win by win, see their proud tower being dismantled.

Heisman Trophy winner Gino Torretta told 790 The Ticket that on a scale of 1 to 10 his confidence in Golden is a "five." Allen Bailey tweeted that "major changes" need to come. Clinton Portis. Warren Sapp. Randal Hill. They've had their say.

You never dismiss passion. That's what made this program great. And it's no surprise these players won't sit quietly on the sideline if you followed their careers.

"I don't listen to it,'' Golden said this week of the criticism.

That's hard to believe. Sure, listening would make his ears bleed. But it's one thing to dismiss my column wondering why Miami didn't adjust to Georgia Tech's power running game.

It's another thing to dismiss generations of past Hurricanes, from Buchanon to Torretta all the way back to Cortes, the captain of the first national title team.

"I'm watching the TV wondering why that middle linebacker is lining up nine yards downfield," Cortes said. "That center for Georgia Tech didn't have a nose guard on him, and so he came out and immediately goes after the middle linebacker — Perryman.

"Cover the center so the linebacker can run more freely or move him up to five yards to have a chance. I screamed at the TV. I turned it off. I couldn't take any more."

For the past decade, Miami hasn't been Miami. It hasn't won in double digits. It hasn't been to a major bowl. This 3-3 start underlines that fact. It's been ugly at times. But what's turning uglier than that is this unholy Civil War.

Advertisement
Let's remember Richt IS one of those alums. He wants his brothers on the sidelines with him. His brothers will know not to interfere, but to support. He's all Cane and the boss.

Go Canes!

Lol. Golden ended the whole "welcome back with open arms" thing when he invited a bunch of former Canes into a defensive film session and guys like Julio Cortez (I think it was) started tearing Dno a new one with his questions about the 3-4 scheme. I remember Dave Hyde did an article about it in the Sun Sentinel. That was the "end of the end".

All that said, Richt is an alumni. He if anyone knows how important it is to have those guys coming back. Its apart of what makes Miami the "U"....We stop doing that and we are just another university.

The first shot in this ugly Civil War? It wasn't former Miami star Philip Buchanon calling coach Al Golden "Al Folden'' on Twitter. It wasn't former lineman Joaquin Gonzalez tweeting, "I think it's time for a new (defensive) coordinator."

The first shot came, face to face, behind closed doors. Golden invited former players to watch video of the spring game with current players. It started pleasantly enough. Dozens of alumni stood up, introduced themselves. Ted Hendricks. Brett Romberg.

"I'm Edgerrin James, and this is my room,'' the great running back said in the meeting room he donated money to build.

Everyone laughed. That's how the day began. As the video began, Golden told any alum with a question to ask it.

Julio Cortes, a captain of the 1983 championship team, remembers raising a hand after a few plays.

"I was looking at No. 51, the linebacker, which is what I played, and he's not reading his keys,'' Cortes said. "I'm watching the guard pull. The linebacker doesn't read him. He gets smoked. If you follow your keys, that doesn't happen.

"So I said, 'What is that guy coached to read?' And then I said, 'And why is he not hustling when the ball's on the other side of the field?' It upset me. I didn't know No. 51 was Denzel Perryman, their best player. They didn't have names on their jersey.

"I just wanted to know what they were being coached. And I didn't get a good answer. They said, 'It's different now.' OK, I said, 'What's the linebacker taught? What's his keys?' "

Someone else jumped in with a question. And another former player. It began growing loud that day and has grown louder right through Saturday's loss at Georgia Tech to the point it's open season on Golden.

And now some former Miami players say they are being threatened with not being welcome in the building they once ruled if this continues.

It's sad to watch if you've been around Miami at its best, its strongest, when the link between football generations set this program apart. Michael Irvin would call the phone in his old dorm room and talk up the freshman answering. Old quarterbacks counseled new ones. NFL stars worked out beside UM players.

It's not a rosy time for anyone around Coral Gables, starting with Golden. He's actually one of the more sensitive men in that job. How many coaches cry after a tough loss (at Virginia Tech) or careen around the stadium after tight wins (Florida, at Georgia Tech).

It can't be easy being the target of so much anger from the very people from whom you expect support. But that's the state of this program. And these players who built it, win by win, see their proud tower being dismantled.

Heisman Trophy winner Gino Torretta told 790 The Ticket that on a scale of 1 to 10 his confidence in Golden is a "five." Allen Bailey tweeted that "major changes" need to come. Clinton Portis. Warren Sapp. Randal Hill. They've had their say.

You never dismiss passion. That's what made this program great. And it's no surprise these players won't sit quietly on the sideline if you followed their careers.

That's hard to believe. Sure, listening would make his ears bleed. But it's one thing to dismiss my column wondering why Miami didn't adjust to Georgia Tech's power running game.

It's another thing to dismiss generations of past Hurricanes, from Buchanon to Torretta all the way back to Cortes, the captain of the first national title team.

"I'm watching the TV wondering why that middle linebacker is lining up nine yards downfield," Cortes said. "That center for Georgia Tech didn't have a nose guard on him, and so he came out and immediately goes after the middle linebacker — Perryman.

"Cover the center so the linebacker can run more freely or move him up to five yards to have a chance. I screamed at the TV. I turned it off. I couldn't take any more."

For the past decade, Miami hasn't been Miami. It hasn't won in double digits. It hasn't been to a major bowl. This 3-3 start underlines that fact. It's been ugly at times. But what's turning uglier than that is this unholy Civil War.

That right there is sure disaster for any coach that comes to Miami. Turning the former players away from the program and worse yet ****ing them off in the process. **** Golden.

Im so excited for the upcoming season cant wait havent been this excited for canes football in a few years:duke_stiff:

All the former players that i talk new Golden was a dog**** coach and a **** control freak. The main thing I kept hearing from them is that he wouldn't allow the kids to practice or play with any emotion. They simply couldn't be themselves he wanted all the kids to act alike and not have any personality!

As much as I despise that fat incompetent boob, I never knew he went that far. That just blows my mind! Wouldn't let the players practice or play with any emotion? That's flat out disturbing. I'm now convinced that dude was much worse than a bad coach. The guy was bat sheet crazy. I'm talking serious personality disorder. Dude needs therapy in a bad way. I'd like to see him try to pull that in the NFL. LOL

Advertisement
All the former players that i talk new Golden was a dog**** coach and a **** control freak. The main thing I kept hearing from them is that he wouldn't allow the kids to practice or play with any emotion. They simply couldn't be themselves he wanted all the kids to act alike and not have any personality!
giphy.gif

How do you think F,A.G came up with the cheeseburger philosophy?

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, The Mad Stork was there as well, and let D'No have it concerning LB play.

Ted Hendricks was considered one of best instinctive LB's to play the game, btw.

The reason why Richt will bring alumni back and why Golden closed things off from them, is that Richt has the clout and is respected enough to do his thing, while Golden proved to them he didn't deserve their respect.
Remember when we said these same things about Golden and Shannon? Not the part about clout, but just about bringing the guys back? Just bizarre how it ended up playing out.

Richt isn't a bull****ter trying to win votes and make new friends like the last guy was though. That's the big difference for me.

I keep thinking this. I don't want to be a downer, I like what's been done so far, I just remember that al said all the right things. He had players come back and talk to the team. I keep reminding myself that Richt isn't a snake oil salesman like al, but it's hard not to get flashbacks.

Apples and oranges.
Proven P5 coach with 38 wins against ranked teams vs. unproven P5 coach with 3 wins vs. ranked teams.

Advertisement
I will say the Admin has already set up the Alumni pretty well for game days. The entire endzone club level is reserved for former players for free. They get drinks and food. For bigger games, they actually rent out several other boxes around the stadium to meet the demand for tickets. I think that's why they have turned down the sideline passes. With the large amount of notable alumni, how could you possibly pick who gets to be on the sideline and who doesn't.

I watch a good bit of football, but I don't claim to be an expert. That said, I was screaming this very thing at the tv. I couldn't believe how obvious it was that gt saw a huge hole up the middle and went after it. I just kept wondering when the coaches would notice. I can't describe how gross it was to watch dudes in UM unis being embarrassed by such a simple concept. If it's glaringly obvious to me what the other team is doing and you can't see it, then you are a very, very bad coach.

I will say the Admin has already set up the Alumni pretty well for game days. The entire endzone club level is reserved for former players for free. They get drinks and food. For bigger games, they actually rent out several other boxes around the stadium to meet the demand for tickets. I think that's why they have turned down the sideline passes. With the large amount of notable alumni, how could you possibly pick who gets to be on the sideline and who doesn't.

Simple:

Allocate a certain amount of passes for each game, and provide them on a first come, first served basis. And you could allow the same pass to be used by multiple players, if they preferred to split quarters or halves.

If you really need further qualification, do so based on the number of varsity letters held, donation level, college awards won, or NFL status.

Other programs figure it out ... Not sure why Miami would be incapable of doing so.

Advertisement

Simple:

Allocate a certain amount of passes for each game, and provide them on a first come, first served basis. And you could allow the same pass to be used by multiple players, if they preferred to split quarters or halves.

If you really need further qualification, do so based on the number of varsity letters held, donation level, college awards won, or NFL status.

Other programs figure it out ... Not sure why Miami would be incapable of doing so.

Because we have more NFL guys then everybody else. BOOM.

Advertisement
Back