Lots of Good and a few gripes

Bennubird

Senior
This is a great win. Really happy for our guys. Lots of players stepped up. No question we have a QB. He's not perfect, but I'll take him. Love the heart he showed today. When he's on, he's as good as any QB in our conference not named Lamar Jackson. Rosier, Braxton, Herndon, Homer, and Langham made real big plays on the final drive.

I love Manny, we're again near the top in TFL, but we've got to shore up our run defense and he's got to stop putting guys into situations they are not prepared to handle. I get having confidence in players and wanting to build confidence. But unless every other safety was injured there was no good reason to have Knowles in the game with our backs against our endzone. Knowles blew the coverage, but Manny should not have had him in the game in the first place. Everytime I see 20 or 34 I have palpitations.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This is a great win. Really happy for our guys. Lots of players stepped up. No question we have a QB. He's not perfect, but I'll take him. Love the heart he showed today. When he's on, he's as good as any QB in our conference not named Lamar Jackson. Rosier, Braxton, Herndon, Homer, and Langham made real big plays on the final drive.

I love Manny, we're again near the top in TFL, but we've got to shore up our run defense and he's got to stop putting guys into situations they are not prepared to handle. I get having confidence in players and wanting to build confidence. But unless every other safety was injured there was no good reason to have Knowles in the game with our backs against our endzone. Knowles blow the coverage, but Manny should not have had him in the game in the first place. Everytime I see 20 or 34 I have palpitations.

Benn, the problems vs the run can be solved with better run fits and correctly setting the edge, etc. So that stuff is correctable(as is emphasizing better tackling, which hasn't been all that good for whatever reason)

What's more troubling is that teams are now deciphering Diaz's blitz schemes and timing them up. I honestly wish on 3rd downs he'd just simplify stuff and let the front four get after the QB

I love Manny, we're again near the top in TFL, but we've got to shore up our run defense and he's got to stop putting guys into situations they are not prepared to handle. I get having confidence in players and wanting to build confidence. But unless every other safety was injured there was no good reason to have Knowles in the game with our backs against our endzone. Knowles blow the coverage, but Manny should not have had him in the game in the first place. Everytime I see 20 or 34 I have palpitations.

Benn, the problems vs the run can be solved with better run fits and correctly setting the edge, etc. So that stuff is correctable(as is emphasizing better tackling, which hasn't been all that good for whatever reason)

What's more troubling is that teams are now deciphering Diaz's blitz schemes and timing them up. I honestly wish on 3rd downs he'd just simplify stuff and let the front four get after the QB

Wish i could upvote this ten times!

Lot of the run fits issues are the result of too much blitzing, leaving nobody to spill the ball to.

THIS. I've been saying it since week one against Bethune. The zone blitzes are killing us they are rarely working. On third down especially we are getting gashed because of it. We have the guys to just rush for or 5 and drop everyone else. We don't need to be sending 6 guys after the QB consistently

On the money k9

Advertisement

K9cane I definitely agree about setting the edge, but I went to the Duke game, and, to my untrained eyes, it looked as if our LBs were committing to a gap even before the runnng back, and if they guessed wrong it was a big gain. Today, on several of those long runs whoever was playing outside at the second level got caught either looking inside or biting inside. Got to shore that up this week. Please hit the dive play ever time.

Seemed like whenever there was a big pass play 20 was involved. Not sure what he was thinking on the last FSU TD.

Gap discipline, assignment Football & wrapping up.

We're not Tackling worth a **** this season, once we fix that our Defense will play to its full potential.

Agree with you 100% Obatala!

Last edited:

Wish i could upvote this ten times!

Lot of the run fits issues are the result of too much blitzing, leaving nobody to spill the ball to.

WilforkHOF, and Im not an anti-blitz guy - especially when you have guys like Pinckney - but they dont always have to be so exotic/complicated. And the other thing I dont like about them is that they come from so far away sometimes that they take forever to get there and guys like Jimbo who know what they are doing can slice and dice that stuff up.

But if you have the front seven Miami does sometimes the KISS philosophy(keep it simple, stupid) is best. ****, some of the best Miami defenses did this.

Lastly, I know there is an emphasis all across football to de-emphasize heavy hitting in training camp and practice to keep guys fresh and healthy, but seriously, even guys like Shaq are getting run through on tackles. I dont recall us being this bad tackling last year

Advertisement

On the money k9

Yeah, and it was mentioned by WilforkHOF is in the other reply on your thread. But I think this is where Diaz gets the rap for trying to be the smartest guy in the room to his own detriment. I know our secondary is suspect(especially at safety) but this front seven is laden with future NFL talent and should be more stout vs the run

K9cane I definitely agree about setting the edge, but I went to the Duke game, and, to my untrained eyes, it looked as if our LBs were committing to a gap even before the runnng back, and if they guessed wrong it was a big gain. Today, on several of those long runs whoever was playing outside at the second level got caught either looking inside or biting inside. Got to shore that up this week. Please hit the dive play ever time.

Diaz often will overload zone blitz against the run. Its a staple of his belief on how to stop read option. It doesnt work, and never has. Looks good on the chalkboard and thats about it.

Diaz often will overload zone blitz against the run. Its a staple of his belief on how to stop read option. It doesnt work, and never has. Looks good on the chalkboard and thats about it.

What's funny is that it's not exactly a staple of FSU's offense, lol

Seemed like whenever there was a big pass play 20 was involved. Not sure what he was thinking on the last FSU TD.

It was painful to watch because as soon as he started forward, you knew what was going to happen. Knowles and Perry should get time either in blowouts or on noncritical downs early in the game.

Advertisement

Correct but I think he uses it universally. He also has some reeeally obvious tells, the biggest being when the DE to the short side stands up. Guaranteed hes dropping to the curl and exchanging with a LB. its not fooling anyone. Zone blitz shouldnt be the most utilized play in your playbook. But lucky us!

Correct but I think he uses it universally. He also has some reeeally obvious tells, the biggest being when the DE to the short side stands up. Guaranteed hes dropping to the curl and exchanging with a LB. its not fooling anyone. Zone blitz shouldnt be the most utilized play in your playbook. But lucky us!

And any play with Joe Jackson dropping in coverage, to me, is like having Barry Bonds lay down a sacrifice bunt.

I get it, Diaz runs a high-risk, high-reward defense but there's absolutely nothing wrong with just consistently setting up 2 and 8, rather than 2 and 12(while giving up more big 'splash' plays per series).

BTW, Zach McCloud's game this year hasn't progressed. I thought after the strong bowl game he'd be a monster this year. Thus far, that hasn't been the case

Anyone else think Shaqs weight loss was a mistake? I’ve seen him handled more than a few times. Maybe I’m wrong, but he does not seem to hit with the same impact he had last season.

Advertisement
It's a high risk high reward defense. It's based on penetration and getting to the backfield with the tradeoff that one guy missing a tackle or busting a gap creates chunk plays. That won't change we just have to be disciplined and tackle. We will still see chunk plays but also the TFL.

The zone blitz stuff is just one aspect of us being a mediocre zone team overall. Manny isn't overly complicated with these blitzes and most of them are 4-5 man rushes. When a guy is seen wide open in the short passing game that is an error--no defense is designed to be imbalanced. Dropping DE's can amplify it because they're asked to do something they don't do much, but overall we're just not a great zone team right now. We can't do much IMO but work through it. We're still relatively inexperienced on the back end and we can't just be a man team.

We miss Jenkins and Carter, basically. Everybody gets **** on by us while they're here, but those guys were reliable and experienced. We don't have a single guy at safety who you expect to make a play right now.

Manny can defiantly tone it down a little. I would prefer that when we blitz we crowd the line and then send blitzees we did it once in the 3rd quarter and it worked.

Advertisement
Back