Losers..

Advertisement
In all fairness to them, 9 SEC games plus FL St. and Miami is a death wish. I don't blame them.

In a 10 team SEC conference as it was in the 80's, it was a weak argument and chicken **** to boot. With a 14 team SEC conference and as much money is at stake thanks to Title IX and revenue sharing rules, cant say I blame them. We cant even win a 12 team weak ACC conference. We can still meet them in bowl games, the bowl committees seem to like regional matchups that favor tv ratings, so more than likely we will play them from time to time.

In all fairness to them, 9 SEC games plus FL St. and Miami is a death wish. I don't blame them.

Oh no, how could a team ever run the gauntlet of teams like Kentucky, Arkansas, Auburn, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Missouri and make it out alive?

Throw in Alabama once every four years and it's just nightmarish.

Advertisement
In a 10 team SEC conference as it was in the 80's, it was a weak argument and chicken **** to boot. With a 14 team SEC conference and as much money is at stake thanks to Title IX and revenue sharing rules, cant say I blame them. We cant even win a 12 team weak ACC conference. We can still meet them in bowl games, the bowl committees seem to like regional matchups that favor tv ratings, so more than likely we will play them from time to time.

We'll play them every year in the 4 team playoff for the National Championship... Book It... Ships on the way beeeyatches

The "SEC is so hard" excuse is bunk. Ten years ago it woud not fly, and it shouldn't fly now because the college landscape may well change again down the line. Further, one of the main excuses seems to be that they don't want to play away games as part of their non- conference schedule--they only want to schedule cupcakes that won't insist on home & home scheduling (as if they make so much money playing the Jacksonville States and Georgia Southerns at home). In reality, it boils down to the same thing it did back in the '80's: 1) they're scared of playing Miami when Miami is at full strength; 2) they recognize that we have attendance issues down here and that their fans (and Canes fans who don't go to most games) will sell out Canes games when they come to Miami, thereby increasing Miami's revenue and making it even more difficult for UF to compete.

The pansies would drop FSU too if the Florida legislature would permit them to do so. Perhaps we should start lobbying the legislature to require UF to play Miami on a periodic basis. (I know, private school -- but voters vote and if there are enough of them...).

The "SEC is so hard" excuse is bunk. Ten years ago it woud not fly, and it shouldn't fly now because the college landscape may well change again down the line. Further, one of the main excuses seems to be that they don't want to play away games as part of their non- conference schedule--they only want to schedule cupcakes that won't insist on home & home scheduling (as if they make so much money playing the Jacksonville States and Georgia Southerns at home).

When half your conference starts in the top 15, and every team in the conference starts 3-0 or 4-0 off cupcakes, it makes every game from October on look like a clash of the Titans, when in reality it's usually one good team vs. one very overrated team.

Georgia got a top 5 preseason ranking coming off a season where they had 11 wins, 1 was UF, the other 10 were: Buffalo (4-8), Missouri (5-7), FAU (3-9), Tennessee (5-7), Kentucky (2-10), Ole Miss (7-6), Auburn (3-9), Georgia Southern (FCS), Georgia Tech (7-7).

What the **** makes that a Top 5 team?

The "SEC is so hard" excuse is bunk. Ten years ago it woud not fly, and it shouldn't fly now because the college landscape may well change again down the line. Further, one of the main excuses seems to be that they don't want to play away games as part of their non- conference schedule--they only want to schedule cupcakes that won't insist on home & home scheduling (as if they make so much money playing the Jacksonville States and Georgia Southerns at home).

When half your conference starts in the top 15, and every team in the conference starts 3-0 or 4-0 off cupcakes, it makes every game from October on look like a clash of the Titans, when in reality it's usually one good team vs. one very overrated team.

Georgia got a top 5 preseason ranking coming off a season where they had 11 wins, 1 was UF, the other 10 were: Buffalo (4-8), Missouri (5-7), FAU (3-9), Tennessee (5-7), Kentucky (2-10), Ole Miss (7-6), Auburn (3-9), Georgia Southern (FCS), Georgia Tech (7-7).

What the **** makes that a Top 5 team?

ESPN?

Advertisement

The "SEC is so hard" excuse is bunk. Ten years ago it woud not fly, and it shouldn't fly now because the college landscape may well change again down the line. Further, one of the main excuses seems to be that they don't want to play away games as part of their non- conference schedule--they only want to schedule cupcakes that won't insist on home & home scheduling (as if they make so much money playing the Jacksonville States and Georgia Southerns at home). In reality, it boils down to the same thing it did back in the '80's: 1) they're scared of playing Miami when Miami is at full strength; 2) they recognize that we have attendance issues down here and that their fans (and Canes fans who don't go to most games) will sell out Canes games when they come to Miami, thereby increasing Miami's revenue and making it even more difficult for UF to compete.

The pansies would drop FSU too if the Florida legislature would permit them to do so. Perhaps we should start lobbying the legislature to require UF to play Miami on a periodic basis. (I know, private school -- but voters vote and if there are enough of them...).

There isn't any "law" or "legislature" forcing Florida to play FSU (never was) we could drop them at any moment.

Oh no, how could a team ever run the gauntlet of teams like Kentucky, Arkansas, Auburn, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Missouri and make it out alive?

Throw in Alabama once every four years and it's just nightmarish.

This +111111 UF Plays in the East Their record vs those teams over the last 10 years doesnt seem like it's an NFL Schedule by any meens

There isn't any "law" or "legislature" forcing Florida to play FSU (never was) we could drop them at any moment.

I'm fairly certain that UF only started playing FSU because it was required to do so by state law. You may be right abou it not being a law enacted by the legislature, but rather an administrative order of some sort required by the governor. I certainly am not an expert on UF-FSU relations, but Linda Robertson reported today that the game is even today "required by state law." See below. If that isn't accurate, rest assured, the legislature would get involved if UF tried to cancel the series. It's truly remarkable that UF is using the same excuses today for ducking games against UM that they used in the 1950's to duck FSU.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/09/05/3606483/no-effort-given-to-keep-rivalry.html

I'm fairly certain that UF only started playing FSU because it was required to do so by state law. You may be right abou it not being a law enacted by the legislature, but rather an administrative order of some sort required by the governor. I certainly am not an expert on UF-FSU relations, but Linda Robertson reported today that the game is even today "required by state law." See below. If that isn't accurate, rest assured, the legislature would get involved if UF tried to cancel the series. It's truly remarkable that UF is using the same excuses today for ducking games against UM that they used in the 1950's to duck FSU.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/09/05/3606483/no-effort-given-to-keep-rivalry.html

Trust me dude, not trolling.

FSU or UF could drop the game at any time.

Advertisement

So you guys can play 4 nobodies...............whatever dumbazz!!!

Trust me dude, not trolling.

FSU or UF could drop the game at any time.

There isn't a "law" however is it was ordered by the board of control to prevent laws from being passed. Neither school can drop the game.

So you guys can play 4 nobodies...............whatever dumbazz!!!

Yup.

Advertisement
"With the SEC likely moving to a nine-game conference schedule and the Gators already committed to playing Florida State, this leaves UF with only two remaining games. The Gators want those two games to be played at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, where a UF official says they net about $2.5 million per game."

To paraphrase, UF will never travel more than 2 hours to play a non-conference game, only play FSu cause the "have too" and will never, ever, ever, leave the state.

Miami's AD should make an effort to schedule regular home & home series with Tennessee now that the gators won't play Miami. This would cement the perception that the gators are scared of Miami nationally and expose their "the SEC is so hard" excuse as a fraud. Look at that, UT plays in the SEC and they aren't afraid to schedule Miami... I know, I know, the gators will then try to distinguish their situation b/c UT doesn't need to play FSU too -- the "being in the State of Florida is so hard" excuse. I think you know how that whining will be perceived.

Reasons Tennessee may go for this: 1. UT has agreed to a home & home with Miami in the past and I believe the teams split;
2. It would give UT exposure in the fertile S. Fla. HS market - perhaps they could supplant the gators down here;
3. They have nuts - Oregon on the schedule this year;
4. They have been down for the past decade, like Miami, and really have nothing to lose in this arrangement, and most importantly;
5. It will make the gators look really bad, and they would enjoy that as much as we would.

Advertisement
Back