Lorenzo Lingard

For me alot of that begins with an emphasis on special teams. Zero excuse for us not being top 5 in special teams yearly. We've been far too caught up in the emphasis of the clean return rather than the return or coverage in itself. When you have to fear kicking the ball to us it puts added pressure on the opposing team obviously. Anything were BUILT to exploit we should be.

Couldn’t agree more.

Your boy Butch doesn’t get enough credit for having us among the elite in blocked punts in the 90’s. It was Miami and VT going at it for most blocks. It changed when Coker came.

Advertisement
Agreed. This is what I'd do if I was Dan Enos:

There would be 4 static positions: 1 QB (Martell), 1 RB (Harris), 1 WR (Osborn), 1 TE (Jordan) on every play.

Dallas, Thomas, Mallory would play all-purpose roles, lining up all over the field and rotating constantly.

Dallas: split-back shotgun RB, slot, wildcat QB

Thomas: WR, slot, and split-back shotgun RB to run swing, angle, wheel routes

Mallory: in-line, slot, H-back

Lingard, Pope, Payton, Hightower, Irving, Realus, Harley, Wiggins, Njoku all get their number called randomly on game day, ensuring that they're ready and engaged at practice.

Burns, Few, Polendey, Hodges, Perry, Williams, Matocha bring everyone water and Powerade.

Like all his but id leave Burns out of any activity that demands movement....kid would hurt himself tripping over the Powerade bucket..

Pope was the guy whose game was most negatively affected by Richt's plain jane offense. He needed to be put in motion for a clean get off. Looks like Pope is doing the work to add to his skillset. This attitude, coupled with the overall talent the 2018 class provided could be scary. Time will tell.

DJ can ball. Crazy athlete. Geathers on a less talented team. Looking forward to seeing more of Lo, not sure why posters slept on a CC RB. Cam is a running back.

Go Canes!
Agree with this. Pope is elite. So many people on here say he can’t run routes. Completely false. His weakness last year had to do with strength.

For me alot of that begins with an emphasis on special teams. Zero excuse for us not being top 5 in special teams yearly. We've been far too caught up in the emphasis of the clean return rather than the return or coverage in itself. When you have to fear kicking the ball to us it puts added pressure on the opposing team obviously. Anything were BUILT to exploit we should be.

Been coaching scared for **** near 20 years.

Coker with not enough shotgun.

Shannon never wanted to blitz or throw in some zone coverages.

Golden trying go on cruise control too early and running prevent for red zone defense.

Richt not wanting to attack the middle of the field

One thing about Richt, he would go for it on 4th. But when you got Feags back there ****tin’ his pants, you gotta be aggressive on 4th down.

Advertisement
This is also why I love Lingard as well. Both Lingard and Cam have the "one cut and go style."

As for Deejay, I don't understand why he receives so much hate on this board. He is our starting running back, because in my opinion, he is the most ready running back, at this time. He may not have the tools as Lingard and Cam, but he has a very unique skill set, and I am a huge fan of the guy!

There were times last year when he looked better than Homer. I can't see a way where he is not the starter on 08/24. Either way, I can legitimately see us using 3 RB's, and why not, when you have 3 studs like we do. Clemson and Georgia both did it, and they have two completely different offensive systems!

Reg, I really believe Dallas gets some derision because maybe he doesn't look the part, doesn't pass that eye test. He isn't- or at least wasn't under Gus Felder - the shredded, ripped guy that we think of as the archetype of the UM running back. But all the guy does is consistently make plays. Whether it's running, catching passes or even returning punts. He's even made plays out of the Wildcat and in the slot(his freshman year vs UNC, was his first splash play as a Cane).

Im with you, he moves the chains consistently, has a thick build which allows him to run pretty tough inside and while not a sprinter, he's made his share of explosive long plays. He will never be a combine superstar, however, the guy is the consummate football player

Last edited:
Had 176yds against FSU in 90...and 142 against them in 91....Remember...It was a One back offense then...he had to split carries with Conley....It was more of an Air Raid...

Down 16-7 into the 4th quarter vs FSU in 91. Offense scuffling the whole game, and then the Brooklyn Bruiser put UM on his broad shoulders on the last two drives with some of the most hard-nosed physical big-game running this program has ever seen. I still recall him flat out lifting Leon Fowler off his feet on one run. He and Coleman Bell( who made an incredible catch on a 2nd and like 15) bailed us out that game.

Next week at BC, McGuire was rolling early, then his knees get taken out. He was never the same. Claude Jones told me that the whole team literally was depressed, seeing him get taken off the field, he was a universally respected guy. Miami nearly got beat by a struggling Eagles team that cold Saturday night.

McGuire really is one of the programs forgotten great players.

Advertisement
Look at Mcgahee's Stats in 02....Show me a RB with similar Stats that didn't Win a Heisman??....Ridiculous is too nice of a Word....28 TDs...1,800yds...but give it to a QB who's team didnt even get to the NC.....smfh

I still say Chud (trying to be the next hot head coaching candidate) cost Willis the Heisman in 2002, it was sealed with that ill-fated halfback option play at the 2 yard line that Vatech housed for a TD, instead of giving McGahee his 7th TD. Every time Chud got away from the run game in 2002, our offense struggled that season for long stretches

Problem was two fold. Larry Johnson had over 2,000 yards rushing and while Willis came in 4th, Ken came in 5th. They cancelled each other out. The biggest joke was Brad Banks coming in 2nd. Willis was the best player in the nation.

without Willis in 2002, I think UM loses a game or two in the regular season. he was THAT dominant. That's when I started to see the cracks in Coker and his 'leadership'...

The main thing with deejay (and I love the boy. Great kid) is we arent using him correctly. He needs to be a complimentary back. He needs to be in motion at all times. Split him wide and let him take advantage of those mismatches. With our qb play and him running wheel routes, it wouldnt have been amazing. But that's not his fault. I see his game and I think Donnell Bennett or Jason geathers. Our starter needs to be either cam or lo. I'm curious how cams explosiveness holds up if hes getting a heavy load. That's something to monitor cause in short bursts that kid is a threat to bust every single play. Gotta say I was wrong about him. In high school he didnt impress me at all. He played img senior year and I just couldn't see it. I was wrong. Back to deejay the fumble issues were a direct result of being overused and he was playing through a separated shoulder. Kept popping out and it showed. Ease up on him. Realize hes not superman. He is what he is.

It's interesting, but the only play I can remember him making out of the slot, was his freshman year at UNC(where he had like a 50 yard play that set up a TD in the 4th quarter), I expected him to be a Swiss Army Knife type, as you described, being used all over, but with the prehistoRicht offense, he wasn't really utilized in a utility role

As for Lo, I see him as a James Jackson type, a guy who is a really straight line guy, sees a crease and can hit it for big plays, but not much wiggle

Advertisement
It's interesting, but the only play I can remember him making out of the slot, was his freshman year at UNC(where he had like a 50 yard play that set up a TD in the 4th quarter), I expected him to be a Swiss Army Knife type, as you described, being used all over, but with the prehistoRicht offense, he wasn't really utilized in a utility role

As for Lo, I see him as a James Jackson type, a guy who is a really straight line guy, sees a crease and can hit it for big plays, but not much wiggle
Loved JJ....Will never, ever forget the refs shorting him a 1st down (by 1/2 yd) against Penn St in 99 that would have literally ended the game...If instant replay were in effect the call would have been changed....Never saw Butch that Mad....

I don’t think Mark Pope is Elite. He’s not in that Jeudy, Ridley, Richards, Amari, group. He’s close to Stacy Coley. But Coley contributed his true freshman year.

Great discussion! June 1 and time to get the UM machine rolling baby!

DJ is an all purpose back. Does many things well but IMO nothing exceptionally great. Would like to see him in motion more this season, screen plays for him, delayed draws, etc. Cam is the best pure RB at this point IMO. He's shifty, has vision, solid one cut and go type of back. Better speed than I expected in the open field. Lo is fast, sees the hole and goes. I'd like to see him bring the pad level down as he appears to get hit and go down. Overall, we have a very solid 1-2-3 punch this coming season if all stay healthy. OL is key of course as they have under-achieved for some time now, years! Maybe implement more zone-block in the run the game...

Advertisement
Loved JJ....Will never, ever forget the refs shorting him a 1st down (by 1/2 yd) against Penn St in 99 that would have literally ended the game...If instant replay were in effect the call would have been changed....Never saw Butch that Mad....

Still angers me until this day. Those Big Ten refs ****ed us.

His ceiling is much higher. Hes definitely straight line but not because hes not able. Alot more fluid in the hips than u may think. I look forward to seeing him shine. To me that's a given.

Advertisement
Back