Looks like Dabo may be considering the portal business...

This happened bc of the free year bc of covid. Even though they recruit at an elite level they still suffered depth wise. They lost two 4 star upperclassmen on the D line so they need to replace them. Welcome to new age 2021 college football. Covid is the best thing to happen to schools with hometown fertile recruiting grounds and schools that don’t have elite depth.

Advertisement
Since the tracking of Portal Transfers, I believe Clemson has been a team that have taken, literally, zero players from it. They’ve had many departures into it, just like Bama, & OSU.

Teams like Clemson ain’t going to be major players in The Portal. Guys leave do to competition & they are replaced. The guys that Bama got from The Portal were literally 2 star & UR guys. They pulled one blue chip OLman from FSU that started this yr for them.

I'm sure they already do "self-scouting and portal evaluations" and this new role was created to make room for another coach who Dabo feels will be a better recruiter.

If Dabo valued Pearman as a recruiter he wouldn't have processed him to an off-field role.
This is just a garbage role to keep Pearman on the payroll. This isn't the NFL where you could sign a player and he's on your team in a matter of days. Spending day after day looking at players you can only sign twice a year accoring to a school's academic calendar. Further, a team like Clemson would have little need for the portal having plenty of quality depth.

Quite frankly this is just silly to pay a person a fulltime salary to get at best 1-2 players in any given year that only occurs a few weeks each year in which the pool of players is constantly changing.

I wish them good luck trying their hand at the portal. They’ll need it. I want to see them try to sell coming ‘home’ to podunk scenic nowheresville; Clemson, South bleeding Carolina.
Yes...”you need to come here. We can plug you in on the bench behind these two five star kids that will be starting for the next two seasons.”

“Wait...you only have two years of eligibility left?”

Advertisement
Clemp$on usually has very few holes to fill, and the ones they do, they just fill with 4 and 5* HS players.

This move by Dablo is just to cover all the bases just in case.

Advertisement
Rack it up to a learning curve.
@LeedsCane has educated me in the ways of the flag of England. I didn’t realize Leeds was such a traditionalist. Here ya go, Leeds - have at it. Hopefully 1 of these St. George’s Crosses floats your Royal boat:

95D96FE7-5F7E-4BBC-99A0-930018AE1119.gif

08DDDC8E-4A5A-4A8A-9F1F-345A461CD53D.gif

639556B5-9635-47AF-A41A-4D533FB60015.gif

Surprised the board isn’t lampooning Dabo for promoting a former player with no on-field coaching experience (Spiller) to position coach!

Interesting to see that Dabo gave Pearman about as much responsibility as Manny gave to Blake Baker.
I'm sure they already do "self-scouting and portal evaluations" and this new role was created to make room for another coach who Dabo feels will be a better recruiter.

If Dabo valued Pearman as a recruiter he wouldn't have processed him to an off-field role.

Pearman got called by former players for making racist comments over the summer.

This move is nothing more than Dabo keeping his friend employed.

Clemson shaking up their staff a bit. Creating a new position which looks to be portal related.

From their 247 board:

C.J. Spiller is expected to be elevated from analyst to running backs coach; Tony Elliott will coach the tight ends instead of the running backs; and Danny Pearman will leave his post of tight ends coach/special teams coordinator and take up an off-field role specializing in self-scouting and transfer portal evaluations.

Feel rather confident in suggesting this won't mean that Clemson attacks the portal with the same vigor as many schools or even relies on the portal all that much. But I do think with the new transfer rules and shifting of how rosters are created that Dabo Swinney recognized the need to adapt to the changing college football culture, and that's significant.
Lol I could see them using it to facilitate bags to keep their players from transferring.

I don’t see schools like bama, osu, Clemson relying on transfers since they rarely have starting positions (other than a kicker) open for competition and if they did it would trigger an internal transfers.

Advertisement
Clemson shaking up their staff a bit. Creating a new position which looks to be portal related.

From their 247 board:

C.J. Spiller is expected to be elevated from analyst to running backs coach; Tony Elliott will coach the tight ends instead of the running backs; and Danny Pearman will leave his post of tight ends coach/special teams coordinator and take up an off-field role specializing in self-scouting and transfer portal evaluations.

Feel rather confident in suggesting this won't mean that Clemson attacks the portal with the same vigor as many schools or even relies on the portal all that much. But I do think with the new transfer rules and shifting of how rosters are created that Dabo Swinney recognized the need to adapt to the changing college football culture, and that's significant.
There are definitely holes that need to be filled.

I wish them good luck trying their hand at the portal. They’ll need it. I want to see them try to sell coming ‘home’ to podunk scenic nowheresville; Clemson, South bleeding Carolina.
They seem to be doing extraordinarily well. Stop the homerism....it sounds stupid.

Advertisement
I give u 50K to come to watch cows graze for 8 months then win the ACC and get to the playoffs for four months.

They need to. Recruit well but take small classes and find themselves way overmatched at some positions against OSU and Bama last year.

Advertisement
Back