Looks like Dabo may be considering the portal business...

Hoyacane1620

All American
Premium
Clemson shaking up their staff a bit. Creating a new position which looks to be portal related.

From their 247 board:

C.J. Spiller is expected to be elevated from analyst to running backs coach; Tony Elliott will coach the tight ends instead of the running backs; and Danny Pearman will leave his post of tight ends coach/special teams coordinator and take up an off-field role specializing in self-scouting and transfer portal evaluations.

Feel rather confident in suggesting this won't mean that Clemson attacks the portal with the same vigor as many schools or even relies on the portal all that much. But I do think with the new transfer rules and shifting of how rosters are created that Dabo Swinney recognized the need to adapt to the changing college football culture, and that's significant.

Advertisement
Clemson shaking up their staff a bit. Creating a new position which looks to be portal related.

From their 247 board:

C.J. Spiller is expected to be elevated from analyst to running backs coach; Tony Elliott will coach the tight ends instead of the running backs; and Danny Pearman will leave his post of tight ends coach/special teams coordinator and take up an off-field role specializing in self-scouting and transfer portal evaluations.

Feel rather confident in suggesting this won't mean that Clemson attacks the portal with the same vigor as many schools or even relies on the portal all that much. But I do think with the new transfer rules and shifting of how rosters are created that Dabo Swinney recognized the need to adapt to the changing college football culture, and that's significant.
I wish them good luck trying their hand at the portal. They’ll need it. I want to see them try to sell coming ‘home’ to podunk scenic nowheresville; Clemson, South bleeding Carolina.

I wish them good luck trying their hand at the portal. They’ll need it. I want to see them try to sell coming ‘home’ to podunk scenic nowheresville; Clemson, South bleeding Carolina.
FDDC46F3-9683-4212-840D-6E7015E56DB3.gif

From their 247 board:

I'm sure they already do "self-scouting and portal evaluations" and this new role was created to make room for another coach who Dabo feels will be a better recruiter.

If Dabo valued Pearman as a recruiter he wouldn't have processed him to an off-field role.

Advertisement
It seems like they demoted the guy and had no where to put him so they just created this position.

**** this could've been Rumph if DVD would've stayed in his role

The way they recruit, I doubt they use the portal that much.
I don’t know, the portal is now a double edge sword for the big boys. They can’t keep stacking 5*s and not have dudes wanting out if there are no restrictions on transfers sitting out. On the flip side, they might be an attractive destination for maybe late blooming players who develop/show out at a lower program and can fill a hole in the roster as a result of said players transferring out. Also the big boys are going to have to start dropping bags in installments to keep these dudes around for at least 3 years lol.

Advertisement

From their 247 board:

Remember C.J. Spiller breaking my 14 year old heart when he returned that kick off in 2009, first Canes game as well the *******

Advertisement
Seems like it would be harder for portal kids to get affected by the bag game, so it would come down to the actual team and location to influence their decisions. Not many places beat Miami, when there’s no money involved. And for everything that’s gone wrong, more kids are staying than leaving this year.

Advertisement
Dabo probably saw our best players were all transfers and saw how they were all conference and saw maybe could help them be better, even bama has had some in recent years who help them.. Adapt or Die

From their 247 board:

A big nothing burger. If you have depth with quality players there's no need to be in the portal. Guys are not going to transfer to Clemson to sit on the bench or share a significant amount of snaps. That's the very reason they're in the portal in the first place.

The portal will benefit the other 100+ teams not in that elite group of teams. Sure they'll get a guy here or there, but for the most part teams like Clemson are going to be portal losers because they'll have more guys not satisfied with playing time who'll look to transfer elsewhere. I see them having a hard time replacing a backup player who transfers to be a starter at another school vs finding a portal player willing to be a backup to replace the guy that transferred out.

From their 247 board:

Interesting to see that Dabo gave Pearman about as much responsibility as Manny gave to Blake Baker.

Advertisement
Back