Looking for opinions on how teams stop an opposing a #1 WR?

mikedeep97

Redshirt Freshman
I'm looking for what guys have seen as defenses against top-level HS WRs. I want to work with him on recognizing coverages and some other things..

What I'm looking for help with is how opposing defenses will try to take him away. A lot of teams in our area play primarily zone with some man mixed in. What have you guys seen as possible attempts to take away a #1 receiver.

We line up with two TEs and 1 WR about 40% of the time, we also line up often in 3WR sets with a TE either on the end of the line of scrimmage or flexed out, but almost always in a 2X2 set (not a lot of trips sets).

Advertisement
If they are playing a zone, and this guys is clearly the #1 option, I could easily see them dropping a LB in the flats to go with CB giving drop coverage and safety help over the top. Run him in motion and see if they stay at home or shift with him. That would almost tell you whether they are in man or zone unless they are playing a man underneath with zone over the top coverage or something along those lines.

I think you need to think about things more specifically. Go through your schedule and make a plan for each team. It'll serve the kid better if he can start thinking in narrow details, rather than broad ideas. It might be a hard task, but eventually his confidence level will be higher if he knows exactly what to do in each situation. Aim high; if you miss, then he'll still have a good understanding.

Advertisement
Me personally I would put my #1 CB on him all game long with a safety over the top. If he is as dominant as you say I would rather other players be forced to beat me than him. As for ways to get him the ball, unfortunately I would take a page from Jimbo Fishers book with the bunch 4WR sets. It's almost impossible to jam or double a specific WR and the defense will mostly likely have to play zone and you will have a LB on your WRs most of the time. You could give him isome motions and jet sweeps to put even more pressure on the defense.

Advertisement
There are several things the defense can do:

1. Bracket Coverage- This is essentially double coverage on a receiver with two players. There are two forms. First, there is Inside Out coverage. One defender, say the cornerback has outside leverage on the receiver and the other defender, often a safety has inside leverage, so each guy doesn't have to worry about an inside or outside move, because the other defender has that, they just maintain their leverage so that inside routes and outside routes can both be accounted for. The other method is Hi-Lo Bracket. One defender is pressed and up and will jump short routes while the other is off, taking deeper routes. This allows the short defender to be aggressive and bite while not worrying about the deeper route.

2. 3 Cloud Coverage rolled to the stud WR side- This is a 3 Deep 4 Underneath zone, rolled to the side of the stud WR. This is designed to overload the side of the stud receiver with zone defenders so all the most common routes he can run are covered. The CB will press him at the LOS and funnel him inside. That player will play the flat. The fact that he is up at the line and funnels the receiver inside eliminates the quick out and quick hitch. The slant is accounted for because the OLB plays curl coverage to that side. If the WR runs a fade, comeback, go or post corner the Playside safety plays outside third to that side, so that route is not open. The backside safety plays the deep middle third so the post is gone. The curl route or square in is gone because of that curl defender and a post to square in is probably gone because there is an ILB over the ball in hook zone.

Other common coverages you might see against a stud if lined up wide is Cover 2 man with the CB playing with inside leverage to discourage inside breaking routes and forcing the QB to throw an accurate out route (sideline is an extra defender) and having the deep half safety help for deep outside routes, but the half field safety could have to deal with a vertical threat from an inside receiver, so they probably wouldn't call this against your stud unless you have strong tendencies where the inside receiver on your studs side does NOT run vertical routes. If that is the case, they would also play Quarters. Quarters can result in the CB and S doubling your outside WR if the inside WR to that side (if there is one) does not run a vertical route. When you line up in sets where the stud is the only WR on that side of the center, you will likely see Cov 2 Man or Quarters because they don't have to worry about the slot WR or TE.

Last edited:
362.jpg

Really??? Putting a Nole up here? Great player but common.

Give me a player that'll shut down an entire field, not just one side. A player that will have WR's sh*tt*ng their pants whenever a play is called for them.

"Ay Q, can you audible to a running play? It's got me on a crossing route over the middle."

Sean-taylor-most-beloved-figures-in-miami-hurricanes-football-team-history1.jpg

When we played against Sammy Watkins and Dallas Crawford at QB in obvious passing downs we would have a low man high man double team on Sammy and Blitz from the side he was on so Dallas would have to stare down Blitzers as he threw it. The kid only caught 5 balls... 180 yds of receiving though.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back