Looking back while moving forward

wicks23

Recruit
So after last night's dominant 3 1/2 quarters followed by an 8 minute debacle....I'm wondering if you were swayed at all about this team's potential.

I may get blasted for this post but prior to the game, I was hopeful for a win but by no means was I confident. Honestly, the first 3 quarters of this game showed me what this team could look like if/when we play a complete 4 quarters. Guys were stepping up that we hadn't seen do that. I liked our play-calling on O and our scheme on D. Yet once the 4th quarter hit, I found myself saying "here we f****** go again." As s***** as it was though, kids lose focus (this happens at every level) when they have a big lead. They stop doing the little things that had made them successful and it's obvious that we just let our guard down as the game was well in hand.

Waking up this morning and looking back on the game, I somehow think it's safe to say that I feel better (not great, just better) about what this year's group can accomplish. So I guess for me the first 3 quarters are just weighing slightly heavier than the last one.

Just curious if anyone else feels a little more confident in this group or not based off of yesterday?

Advertisement
No doubt the D played a lot better last night and never gave up. They were hitting hard (see Bush and Carter), disrupting plays, forced a few turnovers, and for once in a very long time they were actually pretty active in the backfield. I didn't see much 3-4 and thank god. I happy for the players, but we all know a Golden led team is bound to lose to teams they are not supposed to. We will lose at least 4.

I have always felt people were selling Miami short with the talent on the team and at important positions. I didn't expect Miami's offense to come out throwing and blazing like that. It's clear the players on offense thrive on playing fast and not trying to chew clock up on offense. Plenty of times where we scored in 4 to 5 play drives. I want to improve the redzone play calling and efficiency. They have no problem getting down there but when they do its horrible in all phases

Last edited:
Last night was a tragedy.

We need some good ole fashion smash-downs to get the coach fired.

Anything less sets back progress.

Advertisement
So after last night's dominant 3 1/2 quarters followed by an 8 minute debacle....I'm wondering if you were swayed at all about this team's potential.

I may get blasted for this post but prior to the game, I was hopeful for a win but by no means was I confident. Honestly, the first 3 quarters of this game showed me what this team could look like if/when we play a complete 4 quarters. Guys were stepping up that we hadn't seen do that. I liked our play-calling on O and our scheme on D. Yet once the 4th quarter hit, I found myself saying "here we f****** go again." As s***** as it was though, kids lose focus (this happens at every level) when they have a big lead. They stop doing the little things that had made them successful and it's obvious that we just let our guard down as the game was well in hand.

Waking up this morning and looking back on the game, I somehow think it's safe to say that I feel better (not great, just better) about what this year's group can accomplish. So I guess for me the first 3 quarters are just weighing slightly heavier than the last one.

Just curious if anyone else feels a little more confident in this group or not based off of yesterday?

We looked like the best team in college football through the first 40 minutes.

We also looked like the worst team in college football the final 8 minutes of regulation.

I'm thinking the first 40 minutes are who this team really is, and the meltdown was what we have to guard against.

If we can minimize the bad, and if Coley can actually call a complete game with the pedal down, then we can run the table.

"Just curious if anyone else feels a little more confident in this group or not based off of yesterday?"

Not more confident.
Seen this story before and I can see the Al Golden late season collapse coming.
Build up hope only to lose your last x number of games.
Maybe it happens maybe it doesn't but Al's track record says it does.
So at least with me he has no credibility and obviously does not get the benefit of the doubt.

How in the world could you be a rational person, who decides things based on evidence, and really feel confident after last night's collapse?

OP, the reality is that last night was exactly what Al Golden's teams have done since he was hired here. If you want to delude yourself (because you aren't coming to that conclusion in any logical fashion) and think that us collapsing after leading 30-10, should make us confident, then be my guest. Don't expect many people to join you in your fantasy.

Remember, NU dropped several passes that ended drives. If most of those are completed, it's not a 23 point lead.

In short, the defense appeared better than it was, bc NU made mistakes they should not have. ****, we won the game on Armstrong's inexplicably horrid INT to Corn.

Advertisement

We also looked like the worst team in college football the final 8 minutes of regulation.

I'm thinking the first 40 minutes are who this team really is, and the meltdown was what we have to guard against.

If we can minimize the bad, and if Coley can actually call a complete game with the pedal down, then we can run the table.

100% agree

How in the world could you be a rational person, who decides things based on evidence, and really feel confident after last night's collapse?

OP, the reality is that last night was exactly what Al Golden's teams have done since he was hired here. If you want to delude yourself (because you aren't coming to that conclusion in any logical fashion) and think that us collapsing after leading 30-10, should make us confident, then be my guest. Don't expect many people to join you in your fantasy.

Tell me where I said that I REALLY feel confident after last night please...Thanks

Tell me where I said that I REALLY feel confident after last night please...Thanks

I'm not even sure how one feels the slightest bit of confidence after blowing a 20 point lead in 8 minutes.

But yeah, I totally see your point now after that correction.

When did any of our championship teams play like that?

Advertisement

That is not a good thing. On offense we won with big plays only, not methodical marching down the field. It good to have big play capabilities, but the best teams will march the football down your throat step by step and you won't be able to stop them. We are not that team yet. It facts, if I remember right, its the same as always. We survive on big plays, until we meet good teams who take away the big plays.

The defense is better and more aggressive(especially secondary). However the middle and the run were there for the taking. Not good sign. Good teams will definitely take them. I am not sure, but I don't remember there being a pass rush without bringing an extra man. Also a bad sign.

Capture_zps2ez8darw.png

Advertisement
the first quarter was reminiscent of the dominant canes of yesteryear. quick, easy scores, very good defense. was extremely impressed. a lot of hard hitting. turnovers. everything. even great playcalling. there is hope

:roll-canes2::roll-canes2::roll-canes2:

Advertisement
Back