Advertisement
I'm old enough to remember JR Mounts

J.R. Mounts Key West (Key West, FL)
RB
5-11 / 215 4.42 40 yard
0.9000 4 Star
National 123 RB 13 State 17
Miami
Mounts probably thought he sucked when he was third RB on the team competing against a prime Frank Gore and Willis McGahee after being out of football for several years playing semi pro baseball. They were the two best running backs in the country. That is a long time to be out of football and trying to get to their level. If I can remember right, he quit after the first week but should have stuck around and just been third best in the country and then Gore tore his ACL. I think Payton was injured as well.

J.R. Mounts Interview​

• by Bryan Knoll
  • Mar 6, 2002
"I feel I'm getting the hang of it out here and can compete with these guys," said Mounts, the 23-year-old tailback who returns to the football field after a five-year career playing Minor League Baseball. "I think I've performed well, but I know I'll have to impress the coaches a lot more because of the competition out here."

Mounts, a 1997 graduate of Key West High, turned down several football scholarships, instead playing for the White Sox and Angels. After five seasons of Single A baseball, Mounts figured it was time to give football another chance, a chance he's really looking forward to this time.

"It's like a new beginning for me and I think I can handle the pressure because I'm a little bit older and can deal with the expectations," said Mounts. "I'm just coming out here and trying to earn a spot. I'm not worried about anything else."

Despite the age difference between Mounts and the rest of the tailbacks, the 6-0, 195-pounder is encouraged by how supportive his teammates have been. Already Mounts has developed a good relationship with sophmore Willis McGahee, who is expected to play ahead of Mounts.

"Willis is my dog. He's been a lot of help and kind of taken me under his wing."

UM head coach Larry Coker likes the early returns on Mounts, but admitted on Tuesday that the ex-ball player would have to produce an exceptional spring and training camp to move up the depth chart. Aside from Gore and McGahee, Mounts has junior Jarrett Payton to worry about as well.
"It's a good problem to have, but we have Frank, Willis and Jarrett back there," Coker said. "He'll have to be extremly good to get a shot."

Mounts wants to remain in the offensive backfield even with the logjam.

"I know I have to open a lot of eyes. I'm ready for the challenge," Mounts said.

Advertisement

The only thing I can think of is a player can just leave a school and go enroll in another, perhaps the window was to be eligible for this year. If he does not care about being eligible this year then maybe he can be in the portal and know he has to sit a year. Didnt we have a player Manny's last year dip mid year? IDK why I seem to remember like Mark Pope, Dee Wiggins, maybe gurvan? dipping with a few games left.

Michigan State and Louisville got raided this year
MMMmmmmmmm salty...
b57ff78210fd5626f23dd81f1037b4eb.gif

Advertisement
Mailbox rule.

If he gave the paperwork to South Carolina on May 1st, then all is good. Regardless of Clearinghouse and/or South Carolina delays.

Advertisement
The only thing I can think of is a player can just leave a school and go enroll in another, perhaps the window was to be eligible for this year. If he does not care about being eligible this year then maybe he can be in the portal and know he has to sit a year. Didnt we have a player Manny's last year dip mid year? IDK why I seem to remember like Mark Pope, Dee Wiggins, maybe gurvan? dipping with a few games left.
Before there was a portal window, someone hit the portal during FSU week. I think it was Gurvan.

I am going to make a prediction.

Some random player who JUST GRADUATED IN THE SUMMER (but gets beaten out in August practice, the same way that Savion Riley was in spring practice) is going to challenge the "May 1st Portal Deadline" rule in court...AND WILL WIN. Allowing any other graduates who want to transfer...to transfer...

Advertisement
Back