Look to the Transfer Portal: Discussion thread

Meanwhile Mario.....
Fail Fun And Games GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement
This makes total sense. I mean just look at that last 2 recruiting classes. :stephenahand:
Portal is different obviously as they're 1-2 year guys who want to win now so not the same thing and I'd say the portal results reflect that:stephenahand:

Also, Miami has to pay more than other schools in high school recruiting as well due to the poor performance on the field so thanks for further priving my point.

That Andrew Rodgers MSU connection sure was a dud as far as being the transfer guru
Probably because he's a former Theatre major in college that has never played football. Who would have guessed?

The kid had dreams of being in sports broadcast and fell up into an internship with Mel Tugger at Colorado.

Glorified admin position that has no business making any kind of evaluations.

Portal is different obviously as they're 1-2 year guys who want to win now so not the same thing and I'd say the portal results reflect that:stephenahand:

Also, Miami has to pay more than other schools in high school recruiting as well due to the poor performance on the field so thanks for further priving my point.

I've said it before... portal recruiting is different than HS recruiting. For the most part the people you are recruiting are older and wiser to the game. Their motivations are different. And the recruiting windows and time to build relationships are much, much narrower and shorter. You aren't selling a vision, you're selling the present. None of that plays to Mario's strengths as a recruiter (except for portal OL).

Mario is a methodical guy who takes time with his decisions. He doesn't seem to do well with accelerated timelines. His strengths are that he is a charismatic, hard working, and authentic guy who generally comes across as humble. The type of guy you'd meet as a parent and feel good about how he'll treat your son. He does better with more time because he is a relationship builder (and that's a huge part of his formula for success as an elite HS recruiter).

There's less time for all of that in the portal process. The kids are older and more mature, so they and their parents (to the extent parents are even involved in these decisions) are less in need of that sort of guidance/mentorship. And generally the better portal players are more concerned with short-term success, immediate playing time, playing in a scheme that maximizes their strengths, NIL opportunities, and maximizing their value to the NFL.

Probably because he's a former Theatre major in college that has never played football. Who would have guessed?

The kid had dreams of being in sports broadcast and fell up into an internship with Mel Tugger at Colorado.

Glorified admin position that has no business making any kind of evaluations.

I think Mel Tugger and this jabrone we have in an office in the Hecht owe a majority of their bank accounts to Kenneth Walker III. Not sure one player has made two scrubs more money than Kenneth Walker in recent vintage.

Advertisement
I think Mel Tugger and this jabrone we have in an office in the Hecht owe a majority of their bank accounts to Kenneth Walker III. Not sure one player has made two scrubs more money than Kenneth Walker in recent vintage.
I said the same back in 2021 about Tugger

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back