Lonnie entering the draft

Ugh. Such a diametrical opposite of Walker here. As you said, Lonnie is going to get millions to develop his game and the NBA is fine with being patient (and paying) guys that get drafted where he is going to go.

Brown on the other hand is in very dangerous territory if he drops so far. This isn't the NFL. There is no front office attachment- financial or reputational to 2nd round picks. This kid could find himself playing in Bumfuk in the G League or in Israel or Asia sooner rather than later all because he couldn't wait one more year here to try to play himself at least into the late 1st round. Fingers crossed that he ends up with a team that really loves his game.

I'm not sure if coming back another year would have helped Brown Jr. He's already old by NBA draft standards (22 in August). nbadraft.net currently projects 5 Jr.'s (and zero seniors) in this year's first round. If Brown Jr. came back, he would be the age of a senior (actually an old senior) in the '19 draft. He could have come back, improved his shot, and still been a second rounder in '19 because he'd be pushing 23. The more I think about it, he made the right move in leaving now, regardless of where he gets picked. It's a shame last season was a washout for him. Kind of a Mark Walton Jr. situation in that they both got hurt in their "contract" years.

Advertisement
Washington Post noted this morning that LW might be the Wizards choice. Noted, as a negative, was that he comes from a system "with no ball movement." Now, where have I heard THAT before?

Advertisement
Back