Long Term “Business Decisions”

TRick72

Recruit
Premium
The Canes have had 56 different players make the Pro Bowl since game began. Bama has 31 players make the Pro Bowl. We’ve had a player make the Pro Bowl in 56 out of the last 57 years. Leading most to deem us NFLU.

Bama set their record of Pro Bowlers in one season with 6 in 2016. Before that they had 5 going in a season twice, in 1984 and 2014 (we also had 5 in 2014). Since 1984, we’ve had 5 or more Pro Bowlers in one season 14 times (starting in 1991 with 5). Of those 14 times, 7 times we had 7 or more players make Pro Bowl in 1 season, with 10 in 2010 and 11 in 2009 (this is not 15 years ago as some have argued, which btw we’ve had 90 Pro Bowl appearances in the last 15 years).

Finally, our school is #1 when it comes to players starting in the league both 4 years or more (Bama #9) and 8 years or more (Bama doesn’t even make Top 10). Bama maybe where you go to get paid NOW, but the U is where you go to get paid long term. For any recruits making LONG TERM “business decisions” the choice is CLEAR!!!

Advertisement
The Canes have had 56 different players make the Pro Bowl since game began. Bama has 31 players make the Pro Bowl. We’ve had a player make the Pro Bowl in 56 out of the last 57 years. Leading most to deem us NFLU.

Bama set their record of Pro Bowlers in one season with 6 in 2016. Before that they had 5 going in a season twice, in 1984 and 2014 (we also had 5 in 2014). Since 1984, we’ve had 5 or more Pro Bowlers in one season 14 times (starting in 1991 with 5). Of those 14 times, 7 times we had 7 or more players make Pro Bowl in 1 season, with 10 in 2010 and 11 in 2009 (this is not 15 years ago as some have argued, which btw we’ve had 90 Pro Bowl appearances in the last 15 years).

Finally, our school is #1 when it comes to players starting in the league both 4 years or more (Bama #9) and 8 years or more (Bama doesn’t even make Top 10). Bama maybe where you go to get paid NOW, but the U is where you go to get paid long term. For any recruits making LONG TERM “business decisions” the choice is CLEAR!!!

I get what you're saying but the problem is we're talking about 17-18 y/o kids here. Many of which come from pretty impoverished backgrounds. Long-term to a teenager is 2-3 years max, not 5-10 years.

I'll simplify the problem - hand almost any one of these kids $10K and tell him he can either spend it right now, or he can invest it into a mutual fund or ETF and guarantee it will be worth at least $50K in 5 years. I can promise you that very few, if any, would choose the investment.

Instant gratification is what many of them want - start right now, win rings right now, go pro right now, get paid right now. ****, Coach Calipari at Kentucky has made a fortune + guaranteed Hall of Fame status selling that culture.

I get what you're saying but the problem is we're talking about 17-18 y/o kids here. Many of which come from pretty impoverished backgrounds. Long-term to a teenager is 2-3 years max, not 5-10 years.

I'll simplify the problem - hand almost any one of these kids $10K and tell him he can either spend it right now, or he can invest it into a mutual fund or ETF and guarantee it will be worth at least $50K in 5 years. I can promise you that very few, if any, would choose the investment.

Instant gratification is what many of them want - start right now, win rings right now, go pro right now, get paid right now. ****, Coach Calipari at Kentucky has made a fortune + guaranteed Hall of Fame status selling that culture.

yep, it's not only that...it's also being taken care of while they're in school and opportunities after school with the networkl. That's much more tangible to a kid than making a pro bowl. JMO

I hate Bama. But those losers win right now an they are loaded. We need to keep moving in the right direction and then we will be back to putting the players in pro bowl.

Miami is a mindset that creates a family of winners. Alabama pays for mercenaries. If I am in a foxhole than I want brothers not mercenaries.

We will get there again. We have a great coach doing it the right way. It may take a year or two more but no more Golden BS. Our ship had a true captain!!

Check out this list of biggest donors:

Most Powerful Boosters

Entire list is basically SEC. I do like that the Tennessee donor made his fortune selling counterfeit rugs and Bear Bryant's kid was basically a Peaky Blinder. I think UVA is the only ACC team on there.

Advertisement
yep, it's not only that...it's also being taken care of while they're in school and opportunities after school with the networkl. That's much more tangible to a kid than making a pro bowl. JMO
Of course they have a bigger after school network. Everyone knows how many Mc Donald franchises there are.

What are the numbers the last decade or so? What happened 34 years ago, 1984 (convenient as that's when we became relevant), doesn't matter one bit in today's game.

Bama's program is considered the top of the mountain right now. That will change in time, it always does, and hopefully we make it to the top again. I do not understand why that is so hard for people to accept. Handle our business, challenge them, and beat them.

I'd like to see a list of which school has the highest percentage of blue chip athletes (4 or 5 star) that make it to a second NFL contract. It's one thing to have players drafted, it's a whole different thing to produce guys who have actual NFL careers. Not just a year or two and then cut before making any money.

I understand these are 17-18 kids and most of them are going to go for instant gratification. Matter of fact, I would argue most adults are making decisions based on the next 2-3 years. However, I wouldn’t call what they are doing a “business decision”.
Now there are kids who are really making business decisions. We had some real studs last year who did so. There’s some kids this year who will really be making a business decision. However, if those recruits want to more than just pay lip service to the “making a business decision” line, they need to look past the next 2-3 years.

Advertisement
Check out this list of biggest donors:

Most Powerful Boosters

Entire list is basically SEC. I do like that the Tennessee donor made his fortune selling counterfeit rugs and Bear Bryant's kid was basically a Peaky Blinder. I think UVA is the only ACC team on there.

Yeah..., that reference:
giphy.gif

I think you're under estimating the new crop of kids that are going to start coming up through the ranks. There are some indications that generation Z kids in general are showing opposite characteristics of the recent instant gratification culture. They are more serious about their future and specifically their financial futures. I'm not saying there are going to be a thousand Charles scwabs running around or that bama and sec bags won't pull kids, but there is a lot more that goes into recruiting kids now. It is a multiple year process, lots of input and voices from family and other adult perspective, and a lot more goes into the decision making process ensuring a good long term decision is made.

Just my opinion but anything that can show solid credibility and success has a better chance of influencing recruits. Yeah they may not care about pro bowls specifically, but what other school can show those numbers when they were DOWN. Imagine what it is when we are up. Scary thought. For everyobe else.

What are the numbers the last decade or so? What happened 34 years ago, 1984 (convenient as that's when we became relevant), doesn't matter one bit in today's game.

Bama's program is considered the top of the mountain right now. That will change in time, it always does, and hopefully we make it to the top again. I do not understand why that is so hard for people to accept. Handle our business, challenge them, and beat them.

Actually I conveniently choose 1984 to benefit Bama, not us. They have had 5 Pro bowlers twice in a single season, 1984 and 2014 (when we also had 5 Pro Bowlers). Our first time having 5 was in 1991. They’ve had 6 Pro Bowlers in a single season once in 2016.

Starting in 1999, we’ve had 6 or more Pro Bowlers 9 times, with the most recent being 2012. In the last 15 years, we’ve had 90 Pro Bowlers, which is an average of 6 a year. This has all happened while we haven’t had a Championship team since 2002. Bama’s run of 5 titles started in 2009.

But let’s forget about Pro Bowls, last year we were both tied for 4th with 44 alumni on opening day rosters. Today we lead with alumni currently being starters in the NFL for both 4 years or more and 8 years or more. That’s when they actually see their second and third contracts. Remember this has all happened while we had 3 different clowns for coaches while Bama has had the Evil OverLord Satan himself lead them.

I’m not disputing that Bama is currently at the top of the mountain when it comes to College Success. However, even with our recent struggles, we are still producing elite NFL talent at a higher level than them and with Richt, that trend is going to continue. Recruits should take notice.

Again with threads like this. Kids don't care about which schools players made the most pro-bowl in the last 50+ years. This pro-bowl well is drying up fast I hope y'all realize this. We only have a few elite talent left and most of them are in their 30's (Olsen, Graham, Gore, Campbell)

WAIT! Let me guess! You think 4 and 5 star players should come to Miami to be the next, ALLEN HURNS! Because Andre Johnson, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis ain't in the NFL for this dwindling pro bowl argument . And even then we still weren't getting most of the top talent when those boys were dominating the league and putting like 7-8 canes in the pro-bowl a season.

The players we're putting out now are barely starting on their teams and some of them are on TERRIBLE teams. You can blame the coaching staff of their NFL team all you want but just remember when we were throwing real studs into the league they were starting almost immediately no matter how good or how bad the coaching staffs were.

2 of the 4 first round picks we put out in the last decade will be out of the league soon (Flowers & Dorsett) The other two are just okay contributing players.

Advertisement
Yeah..., that reference:
giphy.gif

Haha I like the gif. Peaky Blinders is a Netflix show about Irish gangsters who get their start by forcibly (e.g. lots and lots of murder) taking over the legal and illegal gambling operations in England. They are basically unscrupulous thugs who make a fortune off the desperate and the poor. I'm guessing it's not a concidence that Bear Bryant's kid took over greyhound racing in Alabama.

And let us not forget that every recruit that goes to BAma on a visit gets to take their picture with those Championship trophies. Kinda hard to forget about that...

How many players from each school started last year on opening day? I honestly have no clue.

What about on active rosters last year?

I do have a very hard time seeing how we supposedly are out producing them with elite NFL talents as you say, but our drafts have been down. I'm guessing you're looking at too big of a window here, so start at 2009.

Advertisement
Again with threads like this. Kids don't care about which schools players made the most pro-bowl in the last 50+ years. This pro-bowl well is drying up fast I hope y'all realize this. We only have a few elite talent left and most of them are in their 30's (Olsen, Graham, Gore, Campbell)

WAIT! Let me guess! You think 4 and 5 star players should come to Miami to be the next, ALLEN HURNS! Because Andre Johnson, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis ain't in the NFL for this dwindling pro bowl argument . And even then we still weren't getting most of the top talent when those boys were dominating the league and putting like 7-8 canes in the pro-bowl a season.

The players we're putting out now are barely starting on their teams and some of them are on TERRIBLE teams. You can blame the coaching staff of their NFL team all you want but just remember when we were throwing real studs into the league they were starting almost immediately no matter how good or how bad the coaching staffs were.

2 of the 4 first round picks we put out in the last decade will be out of the league soon (Flowers & Dorsett) The other two are just okay contributing players.

Where is @IndayArtHauz at? This dude seems a lot like this other member of the band:

1531177479230.png

How many players from each school started last year on opening day? I honestly have no clue.

I do have a very hard time seeing how we supposedly are out producing them with elite NFL talents as you say, but our drafts have been down. I'm guessing you're looking at too big of a window here, so start at 2009.

...when Bama started winning all those rings.
I think I already know how that ends.

Starting in 2009, Bama has had 25 Pro bowlers, UM has had 49. Even if you remove 2009 (when we had an absurd 11) and 2010 (10), it’s 28 us, 21 them. Last 3 years they are beating us 12-6, but we are completely obliterating them before then. Could not find any info on active rosters for last year aside from the stat I posted earlier that we have the most Starters playing longer. Of the Top 100 players last year they had 5, we had 2. Before then, they only had 1 (Jones). So they are improving, but it is not commensurate with the success they’ve had since 2009. This isn’t UCF that just had a Cinderella season.

It’s hard to find a lot of info on the success of Bama players as a group in the NFL. What you do find is a lot of articles questioning Bama’s success in the Pros (including from Bama sites). Apparently it’s routinely discussed among scouts. The Bama sites try to excuse it from as the Players play too long a season, they are so well coached at Bama that no NFL coach can get more out of them, and finally to bad luck with injuries.

Advertisement
Back