Lockley

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I will say this about Lockley, first God I hope he gets in, if he does, after watching and reading about him, Figs and Lockley are my two sleepers in this class. When I see and read about Lockley, Sean Taylor comes to mind. I know you guys will shout "BLASPHEMY!!" and no I am not going to say he will be the next ST, but I am comparing their qualities in high school, ST did everything at Gulliver, a true all around athlete, you look at Lockley and his film is impressive, physical as ****, a star in track, in basketball, did everything on the football team 1000 yard rusher, receiver, cb and safety and I even think LB. In other words this kid athletically his exploits are similar to ST in high school. God I hope I'm right

Pump the brakes with the ST comparisons. I had to hear this crap when Ray Ray was coming out of Sanford as well.

The majority of you never saw ST at Gulliver. He was something beyond a freak of nature. Nowadays it's not as uncommon as it use to be to find a big guy who can run fast in a straight line...the difference was ST had ridiculous stop/start change of direction abilities. He was dynamic in the open field and had ridiculous dexterity.

There's an extremely good chance there will never be another ST in our lifetime from a skill set standpoint. Let's just hope Lockley can get in and contribute somewhere....but I'd be willing to bet he's going to be too stiff to play safety and will likely outgrow it.

I'll say the same thing I said with Ray ray...stick him at linebacker or TE and let him learn the position well from day 1. Sometimes with these kids you do them an injustice by not projecting their long term position from the get-go.

Advertisement
I think the dude can come in and do a decent job as a power back. He looks better than Dillard running the ball. I also think he's more of a natural runner at this point in his career than Agustus Edwards. But I know we need some help with depth at Safety.

We'll see what happens...

Deep analysis in here. Love the Sean Taylor comparisons to every Safety prospect over 6 feet tall.

Again I never said he will be ST, but as usual to some of you guys its blasphemous to compare. Re read what I said, no it's not that he's over 6 foot and Jedi look again at Lockley, there is nothing stiff about this guy. All star in basketball, 1000 yard rusher, had also 600 yards receiving, I think, and all star in track. This kid on tape shows the explosion, athleticism, agility in high school that ST showed in high school. Again IN HIGH SCHOOL. that is where the comparison stops AND HOPEFULLY IT DOESN'T STOP THERE, but just comparing how similar their athleticism appeared in high school. And for a safety that is rare at that size like ST.

Advertisement
Yo Fzac75, The kid looks to have the goods and I think he is a better athlete then Ray Ray will ever be. But unfortunately, when you start bringing up the name of the greatest physical specimen that UM has ever seen you are never gonna win ANY argument no matter how you word it. Especially since the man is deceased. ST will always be a legend. Why dont we compare him to a guy like Daryl Willams who was just as big, athletic and intimidating as any Safety we have had. Just not the freak that ST was.

(And just so u know..I think Jamal Carter reminds me of Bennie Blades skillset wise and this Lockley kid reminds me of Daryl just taller.)

And I am not trying to make comparisons production wise with these Hurricane greats..Just skill set wise.

if the kid is really 6'4", then there is virtually zero chance that he will be a Safety (at least a good one)

I can only think of a couple that even played safety at that hight in college. usually (almost always) guys that are that tall dont have the agility, change of direction, etc to play in space at the safety spot

this guy will be a TE or LB i would bet

I'm sure I'm in the minority but if this kid really is every bit of 6'4" I would love the idea of reshirting him to give him time to put on some more weight.

With that frame he could grow into one **** of an edge rusher...either an OLB or maybe even a D end.

Thats the thing..I dont think he is 6'4. Usually those heights are always bumped by an inch or two..So lets say the kid is 6'2 1/2. Thats great size for a safety. And if he runs track and plays bball he might not have the frame to pack on that kinda weight but it also means he is a great athlete. And didnt the coaching staff say he would start out as a Safety anyway?

Advertisement
Back