Local or National? A look at Miami Recruiting (2010-2015)

View as article
Those guys got here after the sample period. So we'll need to update this list in a couple years.
[/QUOTE

our admin have cut corners with our program in some veryimportant areas and coaching is one of them! Stop hiring so many inexperienced coaches!

Advertisement
The problem is the good national guys are even less likely to come here. And we've consistently done a bad job with OOS sleepers.

The only real solution is to play better with what we have.

It’s amazing how people don’t get this.
The further you have to go, the more money you have to spend, and the more diminishing returns you’re good to get for that money.

I’d also love a Venn diagram between “People that Thought Enos was a great, big boy hire” and “We need to start recruiting far away.”

Laviska Shenault and Jaelon Reagor would have jumped at a Miami offer.

They would have jumped at a lot of offers. It’s hard to evaluate everyone in a big state like Texas.

It’s even more difficult the further away you get and the less relationships you have. And if you find a good one in the HUDL era, it’s hard to keep him a secret. That’s why our OOS players bust at a higher rate.

My hope is that King becomes a superstar and puts us on the map in Houston. It is the best metro in America after Miami. But we need something to sell.

Advertisement
INteresting stat from last night:

This.

Texas can be mined but you need to start building relationships at those power house schools like duncanville, south lake, north shore etc...

Cant show up late...have a **** recent record... and then be like hey kid I know you’ve been recruited by a lot of great local schools (TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, OSU etc..) but hey come to Miami because Beaches and NFLU bro

Schools like thsoe I listed above have been murdering it by sniping kids that UT and TAMU miss out on...

Another angle that doesn’t get played is how well coached these kids are... it’s obvious with this staff they need to have kids come in with a good base because they struggle to improve kids

They would have jumped at a lot of offers. It’s hard to evaluate everyone in a big state like Texas.

It’s even more difficult the further away you get and the less relationships you have. And if you find a good one in the HUDL era, it’s hard to keep him a secret. That’s why our OOS players bust at a higher rate.

My hope is that King becomes a superstar and puts us on the map in Houston. It is the best metro in America after Miami. But we need something to sell.

I sent Laviska's name to someone back when he was a senior. They just gotta listen to me. :)

Tons of you guys do not understand recruiting & it shows.

Making an emphasis on OOS players is easier said than done...recruiting is hard & it’s almost impossible to do what y’all want without winning 10/11 games regularly.

OOS players aren’t tuning in to watch hurricane games unless it’s a national game broadcast.

& how are we to build relationships with out of state kids that you cannot drive & see? Text messages & phone calls? 🤣🤣🤣 What type of recruiting budget do yall think we have? We aren’t winning 10/11 games & generating the pay outs from major bowl games so who foots the bill for all of this OOS recruiting.

Imho miami should focus more on the athletes from the country parts of Florida like Auburndale, Lake City, Fort Meade, Plant City, etc

Auburndale has 4 kids with about 10-20 offers a piece...not one Miami offer.

I agree....we literally ceased DUVAL fromt he time Golden got here. Continue there.....but think Tampa is for the take as well somewhat.

Orlando isnt our spot.

Go Tampa, and Duval HEAVY imo.

Advertisement
This.

Texas can be mined but you need to start building relationships at those power house schools like duncanville, south lake, north shore etc...

Cant show up late...have a **** recent record... and then be like hey kid I know you’ve been recruited by a lot of great local schools (TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, OSU etc..) but hey come to Miami because Beaches and NFLU bro

Schools like thsoe I listed above have been murdering it by sniping kids that UT and TAMU miss out on...

Another angle that doesn’t get played is how well coached these kids are... it’s obvious with this staff they need to have kids come in with a good base because they struggle to improve kids

Miami without a doubt should sh*t on the schools u listed above if they put any interest in those texas kids. It recently showed with te lb kid we got from North Shore last class. Baylor, TCU wont beat miami out for a kid unless he just wants to stay near to home.

UM needs additional guys in their RECRUITING DEPARTMENT.

I honestly would leave my current job for an entry level recruiting department gig at UM.

I think UGA are paying those guys 30k plus...we pretty much hired some local guys who i like..but those guys recruiting prowess dont extend pass west palm beach.

This^^^^^^
We have the opportunity now to grow the relationships we have with a few of these schools through connections of our coaches and players (King, Corey Flagg, Rangone). No one is saying we have to shift all recruiting to OOS kids, but we should try to bring in a few every cycle from a few different areas: Texas, Louisiana, Georgia, Northeast, West Coast. It keeps the locker room honest, too, by bringing in different work ethics and attitudes..

Advertisement
There are fans that want us to compete with Texas Tech and Baylor and TCU for recruits?
The benefit of this out of state recruiting is it allows us to steal recruits away from Tier II and Tier III level programs, thereby causing us to become a Tier I program? How does that work?

The OOS recruiting argument isn't about one region being better than the other, it's about supplementing our lack of local recruiting with getting equally good players from OOS.

No one disagrees that South Fla produces some of the best players in the nation, there's no argument or debate on that... Here's the problem, They don't come here & haven't for over a decade now.

A heavy South Florida recruiting strategy has always been our attack plan & how has it worked out? It's Groundhog Day every recruiting season every year, "we gotta lockdown South Fla!", then what happens? The top talent from South Fla goes to UGA, Bama, Oh St, LSU, Auburn, UF, FSU & everywhere else but Miami.

So what do we do? Keep doing the same thing over & over again expecting a different result, or try a new strategy & see if we can yield some good results?

The fact is, the upper echelon South FLA talent does not give a shìt about our program & is not interested in coming here & that's been the case for a while, they're not going to seriously consider us until we string together multiple winning seasons & become playoff contenders, that's not happening anytime soon, so instead of chasing after disinterested players maybe we should try to get some kids nationally that may be more interested?

The recruiting strategy should be, find the kids who will sign with Miami & want to play for us, not chase after kids who will play games with us all year long, decommit at the drop of a hat & treat us like a $2 dollar prostitute.

I agree, that we should always be able to sign the best players locally, the reality is, we can't & we haven't, so we either settle for 3rd & 4th options locally, or try to make an effort nationally & find some good quality players that still have respect for our brand.

The OOS recruiting push is not one of choice, it's one of necessity.
Aside from the obvious solution to HIRE BUTCH DAVIS YOU DUMB *** FOOLS, what you said is as good as any idea. What strikes me is the DT recruiting. St Bobby always if you want to beat Miami take all the DTs way from them. That has happened for years now. Sure losing best WRs out of SO Fl to Bama every years is a face wound with viable blood dripping down our shirts but DT has always been the essential position for Miami. Hurricane defense cannot be played without Hurricane quality DTs.

Even Butch slipped a little at DT, except of course for Big Daddy. But he made up for it with frigging unbelievable secondary recruits and lbs. So unless we start have NFL HOF safeties and 3 to 4 first round secondary picks with another at lb, we **** well better start finding and securing Miami quality and style DTs -- not too tall, not to wide, nimble footed grizzle bears to collapse the middle of the backfield and tackle everyone on the way to the QB. No qb has a good day if he has one hand covering up the pee spots running down his frigging legs. More than ever QB is THE position in football, so scaring the living **** out of qbs and having them running for their lives remains the best defense. Ever notice the Fins could bet Brady better than other teams -- they hit him more than other teams. Even the GOAT got gun shy when hit enough(okay never when the game mattered but still)

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back