Local 4-star DE Anderson feels the hometown pull to UM

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2022 Homestead (FL) 4-star DE Dante Anderson is shaping up to be one of the Miami Hurricanes top priorities this cycle, and Anderson says he is feeling the love from the local school thus far in his recruitment.

“We have a conversation everyday. Even this morning, one of the coaches called me,” Anderson said of UM.

Anderson’s main point of contact with Miami has been DL coach Jess Simpson, who came on board with the UM staff just two months ago.

“Coach Simpson and I will get on the Zoom calls, just building a relationship,” Anderson said. “He wants me to commit already. They want a guy like me that can get vertical (rushing the passer).”

Although Anderson’s relationship with Simpson is new, his connection with the UM program is not – the Homestead star was offered by the Hurricanes back in the summer of 2019 and Anderson has been on campus at UM numerous times, including their last event before the COVID shutdowns back in January of 2020.

“We watched film in the film room, they showed us a video about their legacy,” Anderson said of his last Miami visit. “Then we ate and played games. It was a good time.”

Ultimately, Anderson’s attraction to the Miami program stems from the Canes being the hometown school.

“It’s the crib, it’s home,” Anderson said of UM. “I was always a fan of them growing up and I see great things from them in the future. I know they’ll be good this year.”

The 6’3” 205-pound prospect has multiple friends that he grew up playing football with stay home at Miami, including one of UM’s starting receivers last season.

“I know Mark Pope, a few others,” Anderson said. “They told me they made the right decision going to UM and I should go there too.”

When speaking about others involved in his recruitment, Anderson singled out Florida State, Tennessee, and Oklahoma as schools that are beginning to stand out aside from Miami. Even though staying close to home is a consideration for Anderson, he points to getting on the field early in his college career as a key focus when choosing a school.

“I want a place I can go and play right away, playing time is an important factor for me,” he said.

As the Canes and others push to lock up Anderson’s commitment, the pass rusher says he prefers to play things out and make his decision on Signing Day in December. Until then, he wants to focus on improving his junior season numbers as a senior in 2021, which included 27 total tackles and 19 TFL.

“I played good this year considering the amount of games we had – we only played 5 games and I had 10 sacks,” Anderson said. “I still feel I have a lot to prove, though, I want to go out having my best year yet. It’s my last season, so I have to make it count.”

Advertisement
Trivia and comparison question for the old timers....

Who was the last undersized edge rusher we took from Homestead? How does this kid compare to him? The kid I am referring to ended up being pretty productive for us before he left UM too.

Obviously potential is there with this kid, but if he is LISTED at 6’3 205 then that means there is a 99% chance he is atleast an inch shorter and 10 pounds lighter lol. For the people who have seen this kid up close, how big can he truly get? Is the frame there atleast to pack on weight? Good thing is we probably won’t need him to play immediately so he will have time to do so.

Last edited:

Who was the last undersized edge rusher we took from Homestead? How does this kid compare to him?

Obviously potential is there with this kid, but if he is LISTED at 6’3 205 then that means there is a 99% chance he is atleast an inch shorter and 10 pounds lighter lol. For the people who have seen this kid up close, how big can he truly get? Is the frame there atleast to pack on weight? Good thing is we probably won’t need him to play immediately so he will have time to do so.
Rivals has him at
6-4 216

Who was the last undersized edge rusher we took from Homestead? How does this kid compare to him? The kid I am referring to ended up being pretty productive for us before he left UM too.

Someone that seen him in person a couple weeks back said he looked more like 6’1-6’2 195lbs

Advertisement

Marcus Robinson

Advertisement
Maybe he's a package deal and we have to get him to get his teammate I don't know. He seems really small for defensive end.

Advertisement
Advertisement
He's more of a slender hybrid fast type DE/Rush Backer. LSU and GA have had success with those types. I still think the staff wants 2 or the more traditional DE's available this year. Kelly, Jones, Jackson etc.
Was going to ask who the board thinks are better prospects than Anderson so thanks for the names. I know Jones and Kelly are full-time monsters at DE, but what are our chances % wise with either of the two, especially Jones since Pops played at FSU. If we slow play Anderson the more likely he’ll look elsewhere. But even at 6’3” and 205lbs that’s WAY too light to think he’ll play at any big time program as a true frosh. I thought that was a disingenuous statement from him. He’s got to bulk up, and a lot, before he will see playing time that early.

He’s a HUGE priority. He’s much higher on our board than any of you are giving him credit for. He’s elite and any other opinion of his game is misinformed. He will be a Cane. 💯

Advertisement
Back