X's and O's LIVE STREAM - Defense Film Study UVA 2023

Advertisement
West, curious what UVA did to have some success against our run fits? We've been pretty stout all year...
Not West, but we had dudes in conflict all afternoon. #4 on their team was a gigantic headache out of the slot, and it stretched out our D.

Moten finally got some burn inside and was a mixed bag. Some good stout reps, some losing his lane.

We are NOT GOOD YET against tempo.

And, we also just desperately need an outside corner who can play the bigger WRs. Davis had some nice plays early in the year (TAMU) essentially playing a different role. Now, he’s just being asked to contain guys he cannot handle in isolation. Ellis Robinson might start for us right now. Like next week.

All in all, I think Guidry did a slick job of holding them under 5 yards per play.

Not West, but we had dudes in conflict all afternoon. #4 on their team was a gigantic headache out of the slot, and it stretched out our D.

Moten finally got some burn inside and was a mixed bag. Some good stout reps, some losing his lane.

We are NOT GOOD YET against tempo.

And, we also just desperately need an outside corner who can play the bigger WRs. Davis had some nice plays early in the year (TAMU) essentially playing a different role. Now, he’s just being asked to contain guys he cannot handle in isolation. Ellis Robinson might start for us right now. Like next week.

All in all, I think Guidry did a slick job of holding them under 5 yards per play.
Tackling improved as we woke up later in the game.

I addressed most of the running miscues. It was outside zone to the boundary. Yes, we were put in conflict with the jet motion, but we didn't play sound up front. I can't say the exact reasons as I don't know play calls or rules, but we got reached inside and we got reached on the edge. Some of those big cutbacks on outside zone, we had no one in both A gaps. On others, our edge defender got reached. That boundary end position is young and thin right now. #18 had some good snaps and some not good snaps and #12 is what he is.

We looked bad against tempo again and UVA picked some good times to use it. They should have used it more.

I love #22 as a football player, but outside corner is not his best position. He can play everything in the secondary and do a good enough job, but I agree he is limited out there. I just hate being too critical of him because he is obviously a team guy playing filling a team need while we get some of the younger corners up to speed. #2 isn't much bigger than him, but he has longer arms.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back