LIU Brooklyn vs #15 Miami

Couldn't be more wrong. Casey is arguably our best player currently coming off the bench. Not saying he's the most skilled or promising, but he's the most prepared to step in and help right now. Doesn't look as lost out there as some of the other guys coming off the bench. That's not to say that none of the others will end up taking his minutes. I'm just saying that right now, for better or worse Casey is one of, if not the top guy currently coming off the bench.

Not sure why you've soured on AJ Casey. AJ is not a banger, who's going to be a menace on the boards and in the paint. That's not his game. AJ is not a 5. He's a hybrid forward. He's a face-up 4 that can play some at the 3 and when he has a mismatch can go in the post.

No question needs to continue improving, but to say "Casey is done here. He's got nothing." is way too premature.
I know it was against LIU but, as Coach L said, he did end up with 7 boards. With our overall size, that's a definite area of need. Norchad can't do all the inside work.

Advertisement
I know it was against LIU but, as Coach L said, he did end up with 7 boards. With our overall size, that's a definite area of need. Norchad can't do all the inside work.

Yeah, too many of our porsters act like the only stat that matters is points. As if AJ Casey needs to fill up the bucket when he gets in. But there's only one ball and we have plenty of scorers, so I'd rather allow him to rebound and use his 5 fouls for now, and then let his offensive game build up as he gets organic opportunities.

Let him build confidence and minutes, and then he can give us more in March.

Yeah, too many of our porsters act like the only stat that matters is points. As if AJ Casey needs to fill up the bucket when he gets in. But there's only one ball and we have plenty of scorers, so I'd rather allow him to rebound and use his 5 fouls for now, and then let his offensive game build up as he gets organic opportunities.

If he rebounds and plays solid, anticipatory defense (something he was known for in HS), he can def help. More scoring may come naturally, and that would be a bonus.

His offensive efficiency is the problem. He’s shooting under 40% which is bad for a 4. He can and will definitely contribute but he’s not at George or Watson’s level. Watson is like 65% from the field… I’d actually like to see him be a little more aggressive but he is clearly embracing his role and trying to play defense and prioritize efficiency on the offensive end.

If he rebounds and plays solid, anticipatory defense (something he was known for in HS), he can def help. More scoring may come naturally, and that would be a bonus.
I really want Casey to work out, since he would be someone that could give us valuable bench minutes at both the 4 and the 5... but he almost seems to be trending towards an Anthony Walker type of trajectory. He still is only 25% into his sophomore season so I won't lose hope just yet, but we have seen so many of these bigs struggle to develop over the years I am biased towards him not working out.

Advertisement
Most of these bench players look like they're drunk, unable to handle the ball, look clumsy on the move, can't seem to handle a pass and send up bricks.

Casey and Robinson especially look like they suffer from massive insecurity when they are on the floor. Mental.

I hope for their sakes they can shake what seems to be some major head trips out there.

My apologies up front for playing amateur psychologist....but, man.....

Most of these bench players look like they're drunk, unable to handle the ball, look clumsy on the move, can't seem to handle a pass and send up bricks.

Casey and Robinson especially look like they suffer from massive insecurity when they are on the floor. Mental.

I hope for their sakes they can shake what seems to be some major head trips out there.

My apologies up front for playing amateur psychologist....but, man.....

At this point, the only glimmer of hope is Watson taking the next step and George coming on stronger.
Casey plays timid..
Nwoko has no clue how to play off the blocks on either side of the basket or with his back to the basket... what happened to using the glass? Ridiculous when a big tries to finesse drop it into the basket.. either slam it or kiss it off the glass.

Advertisement
The dropoff between starters and bench really looks like a chasm, but our starters are also really good..

They're wet behind the ears. Give them time to gel. ... btw, we should never be scheduling games this lopsided. worse than Savannah State in football.

They're wet behind the ears. Give them time to gel. ... btw, we should never be scheduling games this lopsided. worse than Savannah State in football.
Need a few of these games in order to develop your bench and young players. I agree that it would've been nice if it were a bit more competitive, but you can't fault Miami for that. There have been a number of low major programs that have been very competitive against high major teams. In fact, some have even beaten the high majors. LIU looked like a high school team but that's on them.

Last edited:
Everyone does. You gotta fill a schedule.

Everyone does. You gotta fill a schedule.
The smaller schools use it to finance their athletic department. LIU has 18 road games, including UCLA, Peperdine, and Rutgers. Weird thing is I went to Lafayette and they also did a Peperdine UCLA West Coast trip this year.

Advertisement
1702057537418.png

1702057284567.png

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back