Listening to Dabo presser

Cribby

All-American
Premium
He mentioned a couple things that caught me off guard. The first one being this was the first game they were out gained all year. Even in the FSU game they held them to 17 points of offense in regulation, 311 yards and 22 yards rushing on 20 carries. Which is crazy with all the multiple looks they give in the run game mixed with a dual threat qb.

Later in the presser he discussed their running game and how we dared them to pass. We stayed in a bear front most of the night with one safety deep. I thought the media misspoke when they asked about holding them to 31 yards on 34 carries ( 0.9 ypc). But that was in fact true. Lastly he mentioned our 200 + yards rushing while they were selling out to stop it. I would’ve never expected that with a first time starting Fr qb.

Which leads me to my point. This isn’t your same Clemson from years past but don’t get it twisted , that’s a playoff caliber defense we pushed around even though they were playing downhill. With a very good good secondary. Their Ol although not great but more than good enough got mauled by our DL , with most of our starters playing majority of the snaps. Clemson had outplayed most of their opponents this year but they continue to have the same issues, mostly losing the turnover battle and having a flaming idiot at qb. That trend continued Saturday. I will say the biggest area they’ve fallen off is skill guys out wide. They don’t have their typical dudes stretching the field. I think the air is coming out of the ballon there.

This game showed what I’ve been saying since the summer “ this Miami team is different , from leadership , mimd set on down to work ethic. They’ve had multiple times to fold camp , quit and they refuse to do it. They continue to be resilient.

Now the next test will be how do they handle success and a big win. Can we start a trend of consistency, which is an important step with building a program. After UVA’s win this weekend the coaches shouldn’t have to try too hard to get players attention.

Last edited:
Advertisement
He mentioned a couple things that caught me off guard. The first one being this was the first game they were out gained all year. Even in the FSU game they held them to 17 points of offense in regulation, 311 yards and 22 yards rushing on 20 carries. Which is crazy with all the multiple looks they give in the run game mixed with a dual threat qb.

Later in the presser he discussed their running game and how we dared them to pass. We stayed in a bear front most of the night with one safety deep. I thought the media misspoke when they asked about holding them to 31 yards on 34 carries ( 0.9 ypc). But that was in fact true. Lastly he mentioned our 200 + yards rushing while they were selling out to stop it. I would’ve never expected that with a first time starting Fr qb.

Which leads me to my point. This isn’t your same Clemson from years past but don’t get it twisted , that’s a playoff caliber defense we pushed around even though they were playing downhill. With a very good good secondary. Their Ol although not great but more than good enough got mauled by our DL , with most of our starters playing majority of the snaps. Clemson had outplayed most of their opponents this year but they continue to have the same issues, mostly losing the turnover battle and having a flaming idiot at qb. That trend continued Saturday. I will say the biggest area they’ve fallen off is skill guys out wide. They don’t have their typical dudes stretching the field. I think the air is coming out of the ballon there.

This game showed what I’ve been saying since the summer “ this Miami team is different , from leadership , mimd set on down to work ethic. They’ve had multiple times to fold camp and quit and they refuse to do it. They continue to be resilient.

Now the next test will be how do they handle success and a big win. Can we start a trend of consistency, which is an important step with building a program. After UVA’s win this weekend the coaches shouldn’t have to try too hard to get players attention.
When Ray Ray Joseph decided to come to Miami instead of Clemson, that was a huge shift in my opinion.

He's the kind of kid that could have helped them a ton on Saturday that they apparently don't currently have on the roster.

Clemson seems to have dared Miami to pass for the past five meetings, and they couldn't do anything about it. They couldn't throw. They couldn't run the ball. This year, Clemson dared them to pass again, and Miami ran it down their throats.

UVA will have the same problem, as far as getting up for the next game, after a huge win. Their win was bigger, technically, than Miami beating Clemson. That said, DL/OL play tends to be consistent. It's not just turnovers, but the small mistakes, like drops, penalties, missed assignments, where kids lose concentration, that kill drives.

Advertisement
Some interesting comments about Clemson from ESPN.

Few answers for slumping Clemson

Times are tough in Death Valley. Clemson is 4-3, with three losses in ACC play for the first time since 2010. The Tigers' playoff hopes, conference title hopes, hope in general -- they're all gone. Just days after Dabo Swinney suggested a few losses might cull the herd of ungrateful fans on the team's bandwagon, Clemson fell in overtime to Miami and that bandwagon is just an empty car speeding off a cliff.

For the second time this year, Clemson blew a double-digit lead and lost in OT.

For the third time this year, Clemson lost a game Swinney knows his team had no business losing.

For the first time in a long time, there seems to be no clear path forward for a program that dominated the ACC for the past decade.

What's so frustrating is the underlying metrics largely suggest a very good football team. Clemson is 18th in the Football Power Index (FPI), 19th in SP+, ninth among Power 5 teams in successful play differential and 11th in explosive play differential. Swinney now must fix something that doesn't really appear to be broken.

"This team is in a position to win," Swinney said after the loss to Miami. "I don't have an answer. I just don't."

There are ample places to point fingers, but none reveal a true villain.

Swinney has blamed turnovers, and indeed, Clemson has an issue with fumbles. But the Tigers are in the middle of the pack in turnover differential, a margin created by little more than some bad luck and the law of averages.

Fans are rightly upset with quarterback Cade Klubnik after he changed a playcall on fourth down that ended the game in double OT, but since Week 3, he has accounted for 11 touchdowns, just one interception and a 70.7 Total QBR, just a step behind UNC's Drake Maye.

The defense certainly didn't live up to expectations given Miami was starting a freshman quarterback (Emory Williams) with little prior experience, but that unit, too, has been one of the most consistently stifling in the country, posting a successful play rate in line with those of Michigan and Alabama.

Garrett Riley's offensive scheme has frustrated some -- too many short throws, not enough big plays. But Clemson averages 10 explosive plays per game, the same rate as ACC leader Florida State.

After last year's Orange Bowl frustrations, Swinney fired his OC. DJ Uiagalelei, the favored punching bag in each of the past two years, left for Oregon State (where he has been one of the better QBs nationally). The defense is loaded with NFL talent. The Tigers have been in every game.

And yet, here they are -- losers of six of their past 11 Power 5 games, with little room to maneuver in another direction. The only plan might be to stay the course, and that's a plan almost certain to send whatever fans remain on the bandwagon diving for cover. -- David Hale

I know cade has talent, and he played relatively well

I just can't imagine ignoring a 2 time national championship winning HC's play call when you've only started a few games (and won nothing of value for Clemson as a starter up until this point) and proceed calling your own number to decide the game and being wrong and losing the game

what would this board be like if TVD did that? sheesh

Advertisement
I posted an entire thread about this, but it bears repeating about 500x more times because it’s incredibly impressive but…

Miami held Clemson to 31 rushing yards.

That’s their lowest number in FIFTEEN SEASONS (and maybe more, I only went back to 2009) except for ONE GAME. UGA in 2021 (won the natty) held them to single digits.

So over the last 15 seasons, probably approaching 200 games played, Miami just held Clemson to their 2nd lowest rushing output.

That is absolutely Herculean.

Advertisement

This game showed what I’ve been saying since the summer “ this Miami team is different , from leadership , mimd set on down to work ethic. They’ve had multiple times to fold camp and quit and they refuse to do it. They continue to be resilient.

Clemson betas Fsu if they Don’t give up a fumble for a TD in the 4th. They actually dominated Fsu. FSU got very lucky to win just like they did against BC.

Clemson isn’t very explosive on offense but their defense is still very legit. Miami wore them out and ran it down their throats in the 4th quarter. **** impressive.

Clemson betas Fsu if they Don’t give up a fumble for a TD in the 4th. They actually dominated Fsu. FSU got very lucky to win just like they did against BC.

Clemson isn’t very explosive on offense but their defense is still very legit. Miami wore them out and ran it down their throats in the 4th quarter. **** impressive.
Fsu has so much lining up for them. Just like Duke losing their qb.

There's a reason why many people thought we had what it took to win the ACC. We have some absolutely legit talent in the trenches.

Albeit, we're a little thin, but our starting OL and DL can play with anyone. Our LBs have just enough speed to keep most teams from beating us on the edge.

We have beat ourselves up in those 2 losses. Obviously not a great gane against GT, and a straight dumbass decision by our coaches.

Then we just shot ourselves in the foot too many times against UNC.

We're definitely better than our record, when it comes to talent, but as a team (coaches included) we have made some mistakes. And of course the consistency is key.

Advertisement
There's a reason why many people thought we had what it took to win the ACC. We have some absolutely legit talent in the trenches.

Albeit, we're a little thin, but our starting OL and DL can play with anyone. Our LBs have just enough speed to keep most teams from beating us on the edge.

We have beat ourselves up in those 2 losses. Obviously not a great gane against GT, and a straight dumbass decision by our coaches.

Then we just shot ourselves in the foot too many times against UNC.

We're definitely better than our record, when it comes to talent, but as a team (coaches included) we have made some mistakes. And of course the consistency is key.
Essentially we killed ourselves with turnovers in those two losses - we're not good enough to overcome losing the turnover battle. Yet.

Agreed @Cribby.

I was super impressed with Clemson's defense. They were fast & aggressive, and played down hill all night. Jerimiah Trotter Jr. is a beast.

With that said, you could tell that their front seven was getting worn down by the mid 4th quarter. Dabo even faked an injury just to let his defense get a rest. What's crazy is that you typically see coaches do the fake injury thing against teams running tempo on on offense. We were running a slow, methodical, power run game and Dabo still felt the need to give his defense a rest.

Advertisement
Back