List of most dbs in the league

Advertisement
We’ve had some very solid DBs over the past decade. Maybe not ST level, but no one is. We were spoiled to have the two best safeties ever to play football overlap in the early ‘00s.

Our DBs have been solid mostly, despite some truly Godawful evals and recruiting decisions by Shannon and Gluten. Not NFL elite but CFB plus to elite. Elder was really good. Bush. Jaquan. Burns. Howard and MJ were solid. We’ve had to play some guys early, and nothing explains Larry Hope or Kacy Rodgers or Keion Payne. But our issues should never be DB when our staff is doing its job.
good respectable reply from u as always Sands

Advertisement
In terms of Miami current roster vs Clemson in college? Yes as they do over every team not named bama
We need to get to a roster thats like that, the Miami way. Im dying for it to happen one day if that day ever comes

Advertisement
To the contrary, you’re the one trying to obfuscate here. If you think talent doesn’t matter, then you’re smoking crack. If you concede it does matter, then tell me why it's ‘parsing’ to discuss something that matters and is in fact a fundamental part of the team? Ironically, the folks starting these talent comparison threads are in effect conceding talent matters. They and you are just spinning and ducking around the inevitable follow up discussion.

There is nothing remotely controversial about observing that one important aspect of being a good cfb head coach is talent acquisition / roster management, and our last four head corches, in addition to doing other parts of their job poorly, left a lot to be desired at these aspects of their job.

What is really going on here is you and others are back to convincing yourself that Miami is an easy job. I hear this every time we need a new coach, and have said it’s false since Coker skipped around our sidelines. It is not an easy job, and it is most certainly not the case that any average coach can win big at Miami. There is no reason to believe that.

Miami is not easy. To the contrary, it is the hardest job in college football for the reasons I stated. It is all or nothing job. Win and NFL backs up money truck. Lose and good bye. It takes a man big enough for the job. Nobody since Butch has been.

I am lot a slice and dice type. I grew up in meat market and made tons of sausage. I learn to ignore all the little things inside and judge the final product. I don't care why a coach fails or succeeds for that matter. It is all about the title. You know more about football than me. I know a lot about enjoying the win and that is what I care about.

Since I am a big BBB guy, you do not have to sell me on talent acquisition. Manny ran defense for three years and now we here are without dear pair of DTs to step up this year. The most essential position in Miami football, by Manny's own admission, is huge question going into his forth year. Almost reason enough to fire him as DC.

Howard never said any coach could win at Miami. He said the only thing Miami needed a a good coach. He didn't win at Louisville or OU. JJ never won it all or even beat OU at OKS. Butch never won at UNC. At Miami, all were big enough men for the job and magic happened. Dennis, like Larry benefited from Butch recruiting and evaluations. Dennis was not so good at that a floundered once he had to live on his own but was smart enough to jump ship. If Mark have been big enough man, 2017 would have gone for four more wins. He wasn't and is gone.

Miami is not easy. To the contrary, it is the hardest job in college football for the reasons I stated. It is all or nothing job. Win and NFL backs up money truck. Lose and good bye. It takes a man big enough for the job. Nobody since Butch has been.

I am lot a slice and dice type. I grew up in meat market and made tons of sausage. I learn to ignore all the little things inside and judge the final product. I don't care why a coach fails or succeeds for that matter. It is all about the title. You know more about football than me. I know a lot about enjoying the win and that is what I care about.

Since I am a big BBB guy, you do not have to sell me on talent acquisition. Manny ran defense for three years and now we here are without dear pair of DTs to step up this year. The most essential position in Miami football, by Manny's own admission, is huge question going into his forth year. Almost reason enough to fire him as DC.

Howard never said any coach could win at Miami. He said the only thing Miami needed a a good coach. He didn't win at Louisville or OU. JJ never won it all or even beat OU at OKS. Butch never won at UNC. At Miami, all were big enough men for the job and magic happened. Dennis, like Larry benefited from Butch recruiting and evaluations. Dennis was not so good at that a floundered once he had to live on his own but was smart enough to jump ship. If Mark have been big enough man, 2017 would have gone for four more wins. He wasn't and is gone.
I have expressed smilar concerns about Manny’s recruiting under Pricht. I think he gets the difference as HC but we will see.

As for our past coaches, totally dksagree. JJ at his peak was the best coach not named Belichick I ever saw. Howard was a legend. Erickson was a schematic innovator and multiple time nfl head coach. And butch was the best talent evaluator of his generation. Saying Howard didnt win at Louisville is petty and stupid, imo. Ditto JJ at OSU. JJ rebuilt the 1-15 Cowboys into serial champs in a few years. He’s as good a Hc as anyone ever saw.

Oh, and Richt doesnt even belong in this discussion. He was awful.

We've had the players to win the coastal first the past decade. We should never have more than two conference losses a year even in the down years.

What's kept us from titles is coaching, player development, strength and conditioning and scheme. The talent has been there.
This ^^^100% .first time since butch was here I believe we finally have a hc who understands line #2.hopefully Diaz sticks around for a long time.and the university and the fans give him a whole bunch of love if he starts another dynasty instead of trying to ***** him in one way or another like they did butch.

W hats the beef about .a db is not good because they made it on an nfl roster but aren't pro bowlers or hall of famers.give it a break there's a lot of good players out there on the streets not good enough to be on an nfl roster.typical cane can gripping about peanutbutter getting on his jelly on a pbj sandwich.

Advertisement
Anytime I see these lists, I compare our QB's over the last 15 years to other schools listed, and think - have the other schools had better QB's?

Yes always seems to be the answer.

On this list it's Alabama, LSU, Ohio St, Florida, FSU, Georgia - all are a yes.

It's amazing that we haven't been able to recruit better QB's, and how much it's killing us.

I have expressed smilar concerns about Manny’s recruiting under Pricht. I think he gets the difference as HC but we will see.

As for our past coaches, totally dksagree. JJ at his peak was the best coach not named Belichick I ever saw. Howard was a legend. Erickson was a schematic innovator and multiple time nfl head coach. And butch was the best talent evaluator of his generation. Saying Howard didnt win at Louisville is petty and stupid, imo. Ditto JJ at OSU. JJ rebuilt the 1-15 Cowboys into serial champs in a few years. He’s as good a Hc as anyone ever saw.

Oh, and Richt doesnt even belong in this discussion. He was awful.

I think we are agreeing but you like to slice some to disagree. That’s ok. Heck, I’m a old trial lawyer so it is virtual dna for me. JJ was still learning and got used by Majors and old Pa, but still in a class of his own at his peak. I’ve know Howard for years and Legend is exactly correct. Still it was at Miami where his star shined the brightest. Erickson lack only your favorite skill, evaluations and recruiting. Not that he was bad, just not good enough. BBB. Still, everyone who fails at Miami ends in the desert. Clearly not every coach can succeed here. Those that do are immediatle admitted into the elite. We need a good coach and when we get one we’ll are scary bad mothers who demand all the attention, as witnessed by those first ten games in 2017.

Manny has the bling and drama going well, but we need to see the field results. Is he good enough? I don’t know. But if he is, watch out world, cause the Miami boys are back. I hope so. I’m old and want to live through another run before I join our departed brothers in the Orange and Green room in that great OB in the clouds.

I think we are agreeing but you like to slice some to disagree. That’s ok. Heck, I’m a old trial lawyer so it is virtual dna for me. JJ was still learning and got used by Majors and old Pa, but still in a class of his own at his peak. I’ve know Howard for years and Legend is exactly correct. Still it was at Miami where his star shined the brightest. Erickson lack only your favorite skill, evaluations and recruiting. Not that he was bad, just not good enough. BBB. Still, everyone who fails at Miami ends in the desert. Clearly not every coach can succeed here. Those that do are immediatle admitted into the elite. We need a good coach and when we get one we’ll are scary bad mothers who demand all the attention, as witnessed by those first ten games in 2017.

Manny has the bling and drama going well, but we need to see the field results. Is he good enough? I don’t know. But if he is, watch out world, cause the Miami boys are back. I hope so. I’m old and want to live through another run before I join our departed brothers in the Orange and Green room in that great OB in the clouds.
Yes. I like to use Dennis as a proof of the UM coaching situation. He was a serious football mind, innovator, good enough to get two nfl head coaching gigs. And won two titles at UM with JJ’s guys. But even he couldn’t maintain the UM program. Because, as you know, evals and recruiting. Which just proves my overriding point, which is that you do have to be good at evals and recruiting, and it is not enough to just be a good coach at UM. (Especially if you have to build it rather than inherit the talent.) But Dennis was lazy around recruiting. I do believe you can build a recruiting process at UM which would work without meeding to be Butch Davis on the qualitative insights. The info available today is just so much better than 20 or 30 years ago.

Advertisement
Maybe they’re are not all starters but, they are on a NFL roster and only a small % of players make it that far. So these guys are talented starters or not. Way talented enough to win more than one coastal title.

Maybe they’re are not all starters but, they are on a NFL roster and only a small % of players make it that far. So these guys are talented starters or not. Way talented enough to win more than one coastal title.
Exactly

Yes. I like to use Dennis as a proof of the UM coaching situation. He was a serious football mind, innovator, good enough to get two nfl head coaching gigs. And won two titles at UM with JJ’s guys. But even he couldn’t maintain the UM program. Because, as you know, evals and recruiting. Which just proves my overriding point, which is that you do have to be good at evals and recruiting, and it is not enough to just be a good coach at UM. (Especially if you have to build it rather than inherit the talent.) But Dennis was lazy around recruiting. I do believe you can build a recruiting process at UM which would work without meeding to be Butch Davis on the qualitative insights. The info available today is just so much better than 20 or 30 years ago.

Ah, the problem we are having is definition of good coach. For me a college coach who can’t evalute or recruit is not very good at all. I agree it can be done without a Butch Davis, Howard did it, but it sure is easier with Butch. Now what we have to see is who close does a coach need to be to Howard level to be good enough. 2017 proved we catch fire easy. Had Mark been good enough to just win two of those last three, who knows what that recruiting class would have ended up being. May we land both those 5* dbs.

Advertisement
Back