List of FBS Stadiums Sorted by Distance from Campus

Advertisement
Isnt the Colosseum off campus for USC?

It's off campus but a short walk across Exposition Boulevard. That walk is a major aspect of game day activities. The band starts playing on campus and then marches to the Coliseum along with fans. The tradition is for fans to "moo" like a herd of cattle while crossing the street from campus toward the Coliseum.

The university basketball arena that was built a half decade ago is also off campus, at least campus proper, the one I knew. It's also across the street, but at a different angle. USC has acquired lots of adjacent land recently, and used it for the Galen Center and other projects, like modernizing the University Village shopping center. Unfortunately that option is not readily available to the Canes given the basic realities of Coral Gables land as opposed to South Central Los Angeles.

Interesting about UCLA's situation. I've never cared enough to wonder how far the stadium was from their school. Do the fans talk of having their own stadium like we do? Or is the Rose Bowl just too awesome to complain about?

Now that Miami is basically sanction free (not that they were a big deal anyway) we are basically equal to UCLA.. both have off campus stadiums, now the adidas sponsorship, located in a huge city, recruiting hot bed, mediocre facilities etc. If we under perform to UCLA from here on, there is no excuse for it, they are even in a harder conference. The only difference is that they have a better coach who gives a ****

30000 isn't different than 3000?

Interesting about UCLA's situation. I've never cared enough to wonder how far the stadium was from their school. Do the fans talk of having their own stadium like we do? Or is the Rose Bowl just too awesome to complain about?

They tried to get an on-campus stadium many years ago. Don't know what happened to that plan, but they used to play in the Coliseum until the early 80s when they moved to the Rose Bowl.

Advertisement
What % of a stadium can be filled if every single student goes to a game so it has a benefit to being on campus? not even half. The other majority have to dirve through all the BS traffic and BS 30 mph speed zones to get to the stadium so the drunk *** students can walk there?

UCLA has a student body 30,000 vs. U.M.'s 13,000

It's not even the size of the student body though, last year UCLA played Memphis in L.A. and they had a crowd of 77,000...

Which proves the point that wins bring crowds. They were ranked 7th preseason 2014, after going 10-3 in 2013. They were undefeated going into the Memphis game, which was their first home game of 2014.

Lol at the size of the student body not mattering. Larger student body = larger alumni base = more alumni attending games. In addition to that, UCLA is a state school. State schools bring in a higher portion of in state students that are more likely to live in the area/state once they graduate. The exact opposite can be said for UM which brings in a lesser portion of local students & a lot of northeast students that do not stay in the area post graduation.

I actually thought we'd be #1.

Interesting that UCLA's stadium is the same distance from their campus.

I'm pretty sure they're all the time hearing about how not having a stadium on campus is hurting them.

/sarc

I think the distance thing is over-blown. The issue is capacity. We have a small fan base, period. So we should be in a smaller stadium. But lets see how new SLS works out.

It's not the distance or the stadium. I live in Hawaii and our stadium is 10 miles from campus (this is far in Hawaii). The traffic and parking sucks and student section is always empty. BUT when we were undefeated in 2007 we were still able to sell out. The problem is we need to win more games.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Somewhat similar to the Canes situation. Westwood residents would never allow it. That area and the surrounding areas are wealthy and powerful. The Canes have more chance of an on-campus stadium than UCLA at this point.

There was an an attempt decades ago. From what I heard the stadium was supposed to be built into a hillside, on the current site of the Drake track and field venue. Several universities with prominent on-campus hills built their stadium to blend in nicely. The UCLA plan fell through when the influential residents found backing from political sources.

That Drake stadium is terrific, BTW. Nice tranquil area on their campus. I always enjoyed attending the major track and field meets, which featured Olympians and future Olympians.

The Rose Bowl is light years more impressive as a college football venue than Sun Life but few in the UCLA program kid themselves that it's ideal, compared to an on-campus stadium. I remember Terry Donahue lamenting the differences.

Unfortunately I couldn't attend the Canes' 2001 title victory in the Rose Bowl but I was there for the lopsided defeat to UCLA to open the 1995 season and Butch Davis' tenure. UCLA fans thought it was hilarious all day to yell out ridicule toward O.J. Simpson, even though he didn't seem to be playing, nor USC. It was in the late stages of O.J.'s famous trail. In fact, that day I took a tour of all the prominent sites in Brentwood, including ducking under a yellow police tape at the back of Nicole's condo. A policeman confronted me within 30 seconds but I managed to get to the important areas and snap pictures.

It's not the distance or the stadium. I live in Hawaii and our stadium is 10 miles from campus (this is far in Hawaii). The traffic and parking sucks and student section is always empty. BUT when we were undefeated in 2007 we were still able to sell out. The problem is we need to win more games.

Yeah, that stadium doesn't have a feel of a college venue, either. Kind of clunky. It's much closer to the Pearl Harbor sites and some of the prominent high schools than the university, which is much further east toward Waikiki. I was very surprised at that, the first time I visited.

I thought it was amusing that they have a flea market in the stadium parking lot on weekends.

Yeah, that stadium doesn't have a feel of a college venue, either. Kind of clunky. It's much closer to the Pearl Harbor sites and some of the prominent high schools than the university, which is much further east toward Waikiki. I was very surprised at that, the first time I visited.

I thought it was amusing that they have a flea market in the stadium parking lot on weekends.

Ha! I remember that! We went to the flea market on our last day of our trip there to finish up our shopping. This was back in ....1990. dayum

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back