List of FBS Stadiums Sorted by Distance from Campus

sitzee

Freshman
School Campus Location State Home Games Played At Distance (mi)

Massachusetts Amherst Ma Off-Campus Stadium (Foxborough, MA) 68

Connecticut Storrs CT Off-Campus Stadium (East Hartford, CT) 19

Miami (FL) Coral Gables FL Off-Campus Stadium (Miami Gardens, FL) 17

UCLA Los Angeles CA Off-Campus Stadium (Pasadena, CA) 17

Texas-San Antonio San Antonio TX Off-Campus Stadium (San Antonio, TX) 15

http://www.footballgeography.com/list-of-fbs-stadiums-sorted-by-distance-to-the-campus/

Last edited:
Advertisement
I actually thought we'd be #1.

Interesting that UCLA's stadium is the same distance from their campus.

I'm pretty sure they're all the time hearing about how not having a stadium on campus is hurting them.

/sarc

Advertisement

I'm pretty sure they're all the time hearing about how not having a stadium on campus is hurting them.

/sarc

I think the distance thing is over-blown. The issue is capacity. We have a small fan base, period. So we should be in a smaller stadium. But lets see how new SLS works out.

Advertisement
UCLA has a student body 30,000 vs. U.M.'s 13,000

It's not even the size of the student body though, last year UCLA played Memphis in L.A. and they had a crowd of 77,000...

UCLA has a student body 30,000 vs. U.M.'s 13,000

It's not even the size of the student body though, last year UCLA played Memphis in L.A. and they had a crowd of 77,000...

Which proves the point that wins bring crowds. They were ranked 7th preseason 2014, after going 10-3 in 2013. They were undefeated going into the Memphis game, which was their first home game of 2014.

Advertisement
Now that Miami is basically sanction free (not that they were a big deal anyway) we are basically equal to UCLA.. both have off campus stadiums, now the adidas sponsorship, located in a huge city, recruiting hot bed, mediocre facilities etc. If we under perform to UCLA from here on, there is no excuse for it, they are even in a harder conference. The only difference is that they have a better coach who gives a ****

Advertisement
Now that Miami is basically sanction free (not that they were a big deal anyway) we are basically equal to UCLA.. both have off campus stadiums, now the adidas sponsorship, located in a huge city, recruiting hot bed, mediocre facilities etc. If we under perform to UCLA from here on, there is no excuse for it, they are even in a harder conference. The only difference is that they have a better coach who gives a ****

Actually, Miami should be better than UCLA. UCLA takes a backseat to USC, in importance and recruiting, in its own town. Could you imagine FSU being located across town from Golden? Admin would probably just turn football into a club team that uses flags.

/sarc

They've known it for decades. When I was at USC the Bruins still played at the Coliseum. USC fans often mocked UCLA fans when they exited the buses, chiding them for playing in another school's backyard.

I occasionally attended those UCLA home games, during weeks we were off or playing in a different time block. UCLA fans would grumble at the lousy bus service to and from the Coliseum. Many of the students would leave the game early to catch the buses in time to avoid the stampedes and lengthy delays if you waited until normal departure time. I was stunned the first time I experienced that. I was sitting alongside two very sharp UCLA fans and we were discussing the game. Midway into an extremely competitive 4th quarter they announced it was time to leave, that otherwise they wouldn't get back to campus for another 2 hours.

Those problems still exist at the Rose Bowl, with very little change, from every anecdotal evidence I've heard from Bruin alumni I know from Las Vegas.

Plus there's the lack of gameday atmosphere on campus and connection to the game. That's a huge minus. Tailgating in a parking lot connects a very small number of people. Isolated blocks. It may feel like a college atmosphere in that Sun Life lot but we're kidding ourselves. On campus the central areas host events and attract alumni and spectators all day long.

Actually, Miami should be better than UCLA. UCLA takes a backseat to USC, in importance and recruiting, in its own town. Could you imagine FSU being located across town from Golden? Admin would probably just turn football into a club team that uses flags.

Very true, I was considering the recruiting battles with FSU similar to USC but ya it's probably more difficult when they are literally minutes apart. But the point stays the same, with a good HC and staff we should never be underperforming UCLA

Advertisement
Back