Off-Topic Linguists have identified a new English dialect that’s emerging in South Florida

Advertisement
Anyone else remember the first time they said they were eating **** to somebody who wasn’t from south Florida?

Not Like That Crying GIF by ION

There is a strange dialect based around northern Florida I hear. They say it somewhat resembles English but is mostly unintelligible, primarily spoken by poorly educated folk wearing orange and blue, usually missing a substantial number of teeth and generally lacking in hygiene.

Advertisement
Seriously, is this really news? Been going on for decades.

Thus my "duh" comment. But if I understood correctly, South Florida has gone beyond "Spanglish" to new phrases and ways to say things.

Advertisement
Thus my "duh" comment. But if I understood correctly, South Florida has gone beyond "Spanglish" to new phrases and ways to say things.

I guess the difference is that it's more pervasive than before? When we were kids we used to chuckle at the Cuban born older folks making comments like these. Now, US born kids are talking like it. I guess that's the difference?

I guess the difference is that it's more pervasive than before? When we were kids we used to chuckle at the Cuban born older folks making comments like these. Now, US born kids are talking like it. I guess that's the difference?

If someone would have said "the house red" instead of the red house they would have been corrected in past times, but not now, I guess

If someone would have said "the house red" instead of the red house they would have been corrected in past times, but not now, I guess
So now do I call my friend Mi hermano Cubano or Mi Cubano hermano?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back