Lingard injury question

Enos gonna have Martell prepared and RB’s and TE’s are gonna thrive and then JT4 with the dagger.

Advertisement
That injury was bad. I believe he tore his ACL, MCL and PCL.

That was also 25 years ago. Literally a different lifetime with regards for modern medicine.

****, look no further than Mel Bratton. He tore his knee up here and it basically ended his career in the 1988 OB. If that happened in the 2018 OB, Mel would've been 100% in a year. But 30 years ago, it ended his career.

That was also 25 years ago. Literally a different lifetime with regards for modern medicine.

****, look no further than Mel Bratton. He tore his knee up here and it basically ended his career in the 1988 OB. If that happened in the 2018 OB, Mel would've been 100% in a year. But 30 years ago, it ended his career.
What's your opinion of the Rusty Medaris injury in terms of what the prognosis would be with medicine today? I believe he suffered a rupture of the popliteal artery in addition to tearing ligaments.

You tear all 3 major ligaments - whether now or 25 years ago - and it’s a catastrophic injury that has the potential to end a career. Either way it changes who you are as a player.

Advertisement
You tear all 3 major ligaments - whether now or 25 years ago - and it’s a catastrophic injury that has the potential to end a career. Either way it changes who you are as a player.

Potential to end a career? Sure. There's potential. But unless it's accompanied by incredible trauma to arteries (Zach Miller, Mckenzie Milton, etc), you're still in very good shape to resume your career. 20 years ago, forget it. But reconstructive knee surgery is far, far easier to recover from now than it has ever been. Don't get me wrong, it's still a really big deal, it's a very serious injury and the rehab is a *****. There is a ton of work ahead for an athlete when he tears ligaments in his knee. I'm just saying people are talking about Randall Cunningham. It is literally an entirely different world medically today than it was when Randall Cunningham hurt his knee.

Again, another UM example. Willis McGahee. That was about a 9.5/10 as far as knee injury severity. And while it took Willis 2 years to get back, he did get back and he did have a productive NFL career. And that was 16 years ago. These guys are playing full-contact football 9 months after ACL tears now. Multi-ligament tears are a little longer usually, but there are VERY few examples of knee injuries ending careers lately. It's insane how much the process has improved in the last 20 years.

Rightfully so, he's not going to give specifics of his injury on a message board

So dumb. Why not? The kid doesn't have a disease. He's a football player and he was injured playing football. Lorenzo, like every student-athlete, wants to play the game professionally. If he were in the NFL, the exact details of the injury would've been available within days. And guess what, when it's time to play the game professionally, every single NFL team will have every single detail of his injury last year. What's the shroud of secrecy? Are we jeopardizing the kid's career by saying publicly what his injury was? Of course not.

So dumb. Why not? The kid doesn't have a disease. He's a football player and he was injured playing football. Lorenzo, like every student-athlete, wants to play the game professionally. If he were in the NFL, the exact details of the injury would've been available within days. And guess what, when it's time to play the game professionally, every single NFL team will have every single detail of his injury last year. What's the shroud of secrecy? Are we jeopardizing the kid's career by saying publicly what his injury was? Of course not.

Are you an adult?

Advertisement
Hickson said he's meeting with his players and getting to know them.

"I'm letting them know they have to trust me - I have to bring them in, get them to trust me, and after that we can start building from the inside out," Hickson said. "Once I gain their trust I think they'll play for me."

* Hickson said while RB Lorenzo Lingard (knee surgery) continues to rehab that he’s ahead of schedule. The expectation is he’ll be back full go for the season.

* Asked about transfer Asa Martin, Hickson said, “Asa is doing well in the off-season, is getting everything done and doing what we ask him to do.”

* Where might fullback Realus George fit in?

“Coach (Dan) Enos does a great job of using the fullbacks and tight ends, but we haven’t gotten into the details yet,” Hickson said.

"I'm letting them know they have to trust me - I have to bring them in, get them to trust me, and after that we can start building from the inside out," Hickson said. "Once I gain their trust I think they'll play for me."

* Hickson said while RB Lorenzo Lingard (knee surgery) continues to rehab that he’s ahead of schedule. The expectation is he’ll be back full go for the season.

* Asked about transfer Asa Martin, Hickson said, “Asa is doing well in the off-season, is getting everything done and doing what we ask him to do.”

“Coach (Dan) Enos does a great job of using the fullbacks and tight ends, but we haven’t gotten into the details yet,” Hickson said.

Kind of a weird quote TBH

Doesn't tell much. If he did actually tear his ACL, they would still probably be saying they expect he'll be back full go for the season, but there's no way he's going to be 100% Week 1 and the same kid who he was pre-injury. Just not enough time.

And if it was just something secondary, like an MCL/PCL etc, then they'd probably say the same thing, that they expect him back for the season. But in that scenario, he absolutely would be 100%.

So again, we know nothing.

Advertisement
Potential to end a career? Sure. There's potential. But unless it's accompanied by incredible trauma to arteries (Zach Miller, Mckenzie Milton, etc), you're still in very good shape to resume your career. 20 years ago, forget it. But reconstructive knee surgery is far, far easier to recover from now than it has ever been. Don't get me wrong, it's still a really big deal, it's a very serious injury and the rehab is a *. There is a ton of work ahead for an athlete when he tears ligaments in his knee. I'm just saying people are talking about Randall Cunningham. It is literally an entirely different world medically today than it was when Randall Cunningham hurt his knee.

Again, another UM example. Willis McGahee. That was about a 9.5/10 as far as knee injury severity. And while it took Willis 2 years to get back, he did get back and he did have a productive NFL career. And that was 16 years ago. These guys are playing full-contact football 9 months after ACL tears now. Multi-ligament tears are a little longer usually, but there are VERY few examples of knee injuries ending careers lately. It's insane how much the process has improved in the last 20 years.

Agree on the arteries or nerve damage being a key component in the ending of a career. And you cited McGahee, which he did come back and have a very productive career, but he was never the same player again. ACL's as a standalone are completely different, you can completely return to what you were prior. But yes, tearing all 3 major ligaments effects who you are as a player permanently.

I guess you’ve never heard of HIPAA.

A person’s detailed medical information belongs that person only (well, obviously the physician, his caregivers, and the insurance company have access to the information - but they are bound by HIPAA) . This is as it should be.

I guess you’ve never heard of HIPAA.

A person’s detailed medical information belongs that person only (well, obviously the physician, his caregivers, and the insurance company have access to the information - but they are bound by HIPAA) . This is as it should be.

LMAO yeah man. It's a shroud of secrecy. Lorenzo Lingard's knee injury is a matter of national security.

Again, for the 3rd time, he's not dealing with some foreign disease. In that case, I get it. This is a knee injury to an athlete, which happens hundreds of times every single day to hundreds of athletes. And again, this kid wants to play in the NFL. If he were in the NFL now, we'd have known within 24 hours the EXACT diagnosis of his injury. Every **** detail. But since he's in college, god forbid it's talked about. Are you protesting outside the Dolphins facility during the season against HIPAA violations? You filed any lawsuits against the NFL for their injury reports? Of course not, because nobody cares. Injuries are literally part of the game.

I personally don't care....I'm a fan of this program and thus a fan of Lingard's and all I really care about is him being 100% on 8/31 and beyond so he can hopefully have a long and successful career here and in the NFL. I just find it humorous that it's some big secret. Announce what the injury is and let the kid get healthy. Are the gators going to hit him extra hard in his knee depending what the injury is? Nope. Is the NFL gonna be in the dark 0.000001% on what the injury was before he's considered as a draft pick? Nope. So what's the big secret?

Advertisement
From all accounts Lingard just tore his MCL and should recover just fine

I'd expect the line from the coaches to be "He's healthy enough to compete in Spring practice, but we're holding him out as a precaution".

He'll be 100% in Fall

From all accounts Lingard just tore his MCL and should recover just fine

I'd expect the line from the coaches to be "He's healthy enough to compete in Spring practice, but we're holding him out as a precaution".

He'll be 100% in Fall

This is what I've suspected as well. If it's just an MCL, he's fine now. MCL tears are only about a month, max. He was injured in October. But yes, I agree completely, they'll probably hold him out as a precaution in the spring, which is just fine with me.

If it was MCL only, he will be more than fine 8/31.

The school, coaches, doctors, & medical staff sat us down prior to surgery & asked us (as well as every other parent of an injured player) not to discuss details about injuries. I’m not sure how the details of his or any other player’s injury have any impact on anyone here. It’s a very odd thing to be this worked up about. IMO

Advertisement
Back