Linebackers discussion thread

Advertisement
the LB situation reminds me of that old joke: Miami is just a few LB's away from a good defense - Michael Barrow, Jesse Armstead and Darrin Smith

But on a serious note, here's hoping that Cave keeps coming on, and that Keontra Smith can become the guy we think he can. That position really needs an upgrade in athleticism and quickness

I'm not even a little bit concerned about our linebackers. Last season was an anomaly in that it was the first season since Diaz arrived that our linebackers combined for fewer than 200 tackles. Maybe cv19 had something to do with it. Maybe our DC was shìt. May have been a combination of factors. I'm 100% confident that Diaz has implemented a solution. Also, is nodody considering the fact that two our better defensive guys are linebackers? I'm counting Frierson as a linebacker since Striker is essentially a strongside linebacker, and I'm not ignoring the smoke out of camp that Keontra was one of if not the best performers on defense.

I am extremely concerned about our LBs. Other than last year, on paper it may be the weakest group we have had in almost 25 years. I go back to Morgan’s Freshman year. Think that would be 1987.

I'd like to see Brooks moved to WLB and Smith at SLB. I think the best way to use Brooks is to give him the freedom that Pinckney had and I think Smith can do a better job covering backs or tight ends since he's "moving over" from striker. Brooks needs freedom to blitz and use his athleticism.
I still don't think Flagg is the playmaker we need at MLB but I also don't think we have a better option.
Just going to throw this out there but smith was already basically a slb. The striker spot replaced the slb. Pickney was a wlb and that's where smith was moved to. In 2017 our last year in the 4-3 McCloud was the strong side linebacker quarter man middle pickney weakside. The wlb is the guy that would have freedom to make plays. The slb doesn't because he's covering the te or taking on the te blocking.

Advertisement
Put Brooks in the middle with Flagg, and have Keyontra, Chase, and Wesley rotate in at the outside backer spots for next year and problem solved

Just going to throw this out there but smith was already basically a slb. The striker spot replaced the slb. Pickney was a wlb and that's where smith was moved to. In 2017 our last year in the 4-3 McCloud was the strong side linebacker quarter man middle pickney weakside. The wlb is the guy that would have freedom to make plays. The slb doesn't because he's covering the te or taking on the te blocking.
That makes sense as the SLB, with coverage responsibilities traditionally for the tight end and slot in a pure 4-3 alignment would give way to a “striker” which is basically a SLB with more coverage ability and likely less proficient against the run.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back