Linebacker

Ethnicsands

All-American
In the ‘80s - early 90s era, we had: Winston Moss, Crum, Brophy, Clark, Shannon, Barrow, Armstead, D. Smith, Mira, Carter, Newbill

Even in the mid-‘90s, we had R. Lewis, Russell, Francis, Burgess, Marley, and Morgan and Webster enrolled in ‘97. Chris Campbell and H. Clark enrolled in ‘99.

In the ‘00s, we had Vilma, DJ Williams, Rocky McIntosh, T. Gooden, McClover, Beason. Then we started to miss assess even while signing some highly rated kids: J. Bryant, S. Adkins (good athlete but not great LB), L. Williams, W. Williams. Also Randy started looking for guys who reminded him of him: Cook, Houston, R. Davis. Sharpton was a solid enough athlete. McCarthy was very underrated.

In ‘08, we brought in Spence and A. Brown, both good recruits and players even if Brown ended up going elsewhere. R. Buch was a solid player and good recruit, imo, even if he was a tweener who never turned into what people thought. Futch was a bad eval, as was Marti.

In ‘09, Holton and K. Rob, both bad evals (wheels off the cart)
in ‘10, Cain, Cornelius, Gaines, T. Williams, K. Nelson (wheels gone from crash site)
In ‘11, E. Johnson, Paul, Perryman, Armbrister. Say what you want, Dorito could evaluate LBs. Still, only 1 had a real impact at UM.
In ‘12: Kirby, Blue, Terry, Witt
In ‘13: Figueroa, Grace
In ‘14: D. Owens, J. Young, McCray, Gayott, M. Smith
In ‘15: Perry, King, Gordinier
2016: Shaq, Pinckney, McCloud (Dorito evals)
2017: Wilder, Jennings, Steed (Diaz evals)
2018: Joyner
2019: Brooks, Huff

So basically, since 2008, we have Perryman. He’s the only LB we’ve had drafted since Spence. Everyone else is a coulda shoulda or below what a top level UM LB meant previously. Armbrister has stuck in the NFL as an UFA, and he wasn’t even an NSD commitment, IIRC. I believe Dorito added him after NSD.

Advertisement
In the ‘80s - early 90s era, we had: Winston Moss, Crum, Brophy, Clark, Shannon, Barrow, Armstead, D. Smith, Mira, Carter, Newbill

Even in the mid-‘90s, we had R. Lewis, Russell, Francis, Burgess, Marley, and Morgan and Webster enrolled in ‘97. Chris Campbell and H. Clark enrolled in ‘99.

In the ‘00s, we had Vilma, DJ Williams, Rocky McIntosh, T. Gooden, McClover, Beason. Then we started to miss assess even while signing some highly rated kids: J. Bryant, S. Adkins (good athlete but not great LB), L. Williams, W. Williams. Also Randy started looking for guys who reminded him of him: Cook, Houston, R. Davis. Sharpton was a solid enough athlete. McCarthy was very underrated.

In ‘08, we brought in Spence and A. Brown, both good recruits and players even if Brown ended up going elsewhere. R. Buch was a solid player and good recruit, imo, even if he was a tweener who never turned into what people thought. Futch was a bad eval, as was Marti.

in ‘10, Cain, Cornelius, Gaines, T. Williams, K. Nelson (wheels gone from crash site)
In ‘11, E. Johnson, Paul, Perryman, Armbrister. Say what you want, Dorito could evaluate LBs. Still, only 1 had a real impact at UM.

So basically, since 2008, we have Perryman. He’s the only LB we’ve had drafted since Spence. Everyone else is a coulda shoulda or below what a top level UM LB meant previously. Armbrister has stuck in the NFL as an UFA, and he wasn’t even an NSD commitment, IIRC. I believe Dorito added him after NSD.
The year-by-year really shows that we have no clue how Manny is at evaluating LBs. 17 and 18 classes are all injured and haven't really seen the field.

Tremendous amount of weird outcomes at this group too.

To start:

Eddie was an absolute animal but couldn't keep his head on his shoulders
Figueroa had a ton of potential and played a good game against the Gators as I recall...and then he raped someone
Grace was a potential second day pick and then got absolutely Shanghai'd by the NCAA
Witt, Gayott, Wilder all with career ending injuries

Also this is nitpicking but Kylan Robinson was a running back who converted to try and get playing time from the class of '06 or '07, and Holton was the same class as Spence, Brown, etc.

Well look at our LB coach. Is it Patke.... I really think we should hire a Ray Lewis or a Vilma as a consultant or as the coach. I am a firm believer that if you were all pro at the position you can teach/coach the position.
I really believe our recruiting issues are that the kids don’t believe in the position coaches, I believe that is a problem and the other is they want out of Miami

I do believe we are gonna be good next year with woh we have in waiting.
I do agree recruiting at LB and DB is a problem

Advertisement
J. Young,

Grace was playing great for us until he got kicked off the team for benefits. Plays on Sundays now but not an impact player. Shaq has had a down year but the kid has been an anchor for us for 2-3 years and has time to turn it around. I think Pinckney has been great and will have a pro career.

Looking at that list its just plagued with great players that were head cases / made mental mistakes (E. Johnson, Paul, Blue, Figueroa, Grace, J. Young) and Injuries (Witt, Kirby, Owens, Wilder, Gordinier, Gayott)

Our 2016 evals have provided the only consistency in 10 years.

I always appreciate a former cane perspective. Good post my Cane brother!

IMO...

the fall came when former coach MARK RICHT let go the last staff member in the previous regime - A good friend of mine and family . Coach " Hurlie Brown" Who at the time had LB's playing at its highest level. Helped develop D. Perryman Before making a switch to Rb position. He was a monsta on the recruiting trail and was a great closer. If i don't recall our last highly regarded star studied Lb core. Shaq, Pickney, Mccloud it wasn't Dorito's. From there it has drop significantly recruiting and on the field.

South Florida / North Fla/ Central Communities were upset that this happen. We all thought if anything he or Larry Scott would be able to stay but the cards did not work in their favor.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I always appreciate a former cane perspective. Good post my Cane brother!
I don’t want anyone on this board to misunderstand - this isn’t Ethenic Sands. Just a screen name that links to his name the way others have done for other players. Goes back a long way on these boards. But happy to share a view. Sorry if anyone been confused.

The year-by-year really shows that we have no clue how Manny is at evaluating LBs. 17 and 18 classes are all injured and haven't really seen the field.
I don’t agree. We can pretend it’s all unknowable, but Jennings, Joyner and Wilder aren't looking like Sundays players to me. Things can change but that doesn’t mean the trend is wrong or undiscernable.

Grace was playing great for us until he got kicked off the team for benefits. Plays on Sundays now but not an impact player. Shaq has had a down year but the kid has been an anchor for us for 2-3 years and has time to turn it around. I think Pinckney has been great and will have a pro career.

Looking at that list its just plagued with great players that were head cases / made mental mistakes (E. Johnson, Paul, Blue, Figueroa, Grace, J. Young) and Injuries (Witt, Kirby, Owens, Wilder, Gordinier, Gayott)

Our 2016 evals have provided the only consistency in 10 years.
Head cases are an eval issue as much as athletic ability is. Injuries have hurt but it’s football - everyone has them. All I notice is the program that had the best LBs in America for 20-25 years has been off the map since 2010.

I don’t want anyone on this board to misunderstand - this isn’t Ethenic Sands. Just a screen name that links to his name the way others have done for other players. Goes back a long way on these boards. But happy to share a view. Sorry if anyone been confused.

This whole time I thought u were ethic sands and was thinking “man he is a bitter ex player”

But naw you keep it pretty str8 forward.

Not exclusive to our LB room, we’ve had talent but have failed to keep them focus and get the most out of them.

A lot of that has to do with the culture and also our lack of winning.

All players need to be developed on and off the field. Some come from very difficult backgrounds.

We failed many of theses players in both areas.

I think with McCloud staying plus huff and brooks we will see a serious upgrade to our athleticism at the position.

Advertisement
I don’t agree. We can pretend it’s all unknowable, but Jennings, Joyner and Wilder aren't looking like Sundays players to me. Things can change but that doesn’t mean the trend is wrong or undiscernable.

Joyner is a freshman and looked good in the spring game (only snaps he’s played as a LB).

I guess I agree that Wilder probably won’t be playing on sundays, given the career ending injury, but idk what that says about manny as a talent evaluator.

This whole time I thought u were ethic sands and was thinking “man he is a bitter ex player”

But naw you keep it pretty str8 forward.

Not exclusive to our LB room, we’ve had talent but have failed to keep them focus and get the most out of them.

A lot of that has to do with the culture and also our lack of winning.

All players need to be developed on and off the field. Some come from very difficult backgrounds.

We failed many of theses players in both areas.

I think with McCloud staying plus huff and brooks we will see a serious upgrade to our athleticism at the position.
Well said. haha not bitter but after almost 40 years of watching this team, definitely some bluntness and skepticism in my assessment.

It's okay. My name's not Jack Daniels, John Deere, or Jimmy Dean and I don't have a JD degree.

Advertisement
Joyner is a freshman and looked good in the spring game (only snaps he’s played as a LB).

I guess I agree that Wilder probably won’t be playing on sundays, given the career ending injury, but idk what that says about manny as a talent evaluator.
Okay. I don’t want to go far down this road because it requires talkin about guys still here and trying. I know what UM’s great LBs looked like on field. It didn’t take a rumor about looking decent in the spring game to see what many of them brought to the field. I don’t want to judge manny yet on this account but the absence of proof he’s good at it is noticeable.

What’s not to like and reminisce about Ethnic Sands. Love the screen name.

dog confused.gif

Advertisement
Back