Lightfoot, Wilson, Blount vs Bain, Mesidor

Applecane

Recruit
Premium
Joined
Nov 5, 2011
Messages
1,680
How close are we to matching the ability of last year's DEs?
Lightfoot and Wilson at least are wreaking havoc. I'm not seeing any obvious problems setting the edge.
Of course, the opposition hasn't been the same -- no ND and no playoff teams.
But I'm starting to think we're not that far away. Scroggins is growing on me, too.
Remember Bain and Mesidor refused to come off the field. We've got a really good rotation now. Folks can stay fresh.
 
ND Oline will be the playoff eye test! I’m beyond pleased with the progress so far though. Wilson is really starting to earn his $ worth, Lightfoot has silenced doubters about being an every down DE, Blount is not a downgrade when he plays DE. Scroffings has looked like a player. Pickett has even shown flashes.
 
How close are we to matching the ability of last year's DEs?
Lightfoot and Wilson at least are wreaking havoc. I'm not seeing any obvious problems setting the edge.
Of course, the opposition hasn't been the same -- no ND and no playoff teams.
But I'm starting to think we're not that far away. Scroggins is growing on me, too.
Remember Bain and Mesidor refused to come off the field. We've got a really good rotation now. Folks can stay fresh.
Honestly, we’re not far away if at all. Lightfoot and Wilson get to the quarterback quicker than Bain and Mesidor did last year. And well they’re not as good at setting the edge, there has not been much drop-off at all in that department. We have the number one rush defense in the country. We have a monster defensive line.
 
Honestly, we’re not far away if at all. Lightfoot and Wilson get to the quarterback quicker than Bain and Mesidor did last year. And well they’re not as good at setting the edge, there has not been much drop-off at all in that department. We have the number one rush defense in the country. We have a monster defensive line.
I think we have set the edge better this year. We've given up fewer non-garbage time explosive runs (10+ yards) thus far, although our schedule has been easier this year. Anecdotally, I remember Mesidor usually being good for a rep or two in which he would freelance and an edge wouldn't get set.
 
So is Lightfoot good? Saw he got hurt and never heard anything about it afterwards. What’s the update on him?
 
I think the only things I am waiting to see are leadership, hyping up the team and other intangibles. Bain and Mesi really energized the team when they were on the field. They had the old school swag and intimidation factor going for them as well.
 
Bain wasn’t our best pass rusher last season. I thought mesador was the best pass rusher. But Bain gave us great run stopping and could collapse a pocket.

Collapsing the pocket was his strength. I don’t see anyone who could collapse the pocket and stuff the run at the efficiency he did.
 
If Blount gets right and starts wreaking havoc this DL might be better. The reason wouldn’t be bc they are better, but bc of the rotation and keep players fresh.
 
Back
Top