Let’s talk about recruiting from a staff perspective (not about recruits)

Ethnicsands

All-American
There is a lot of talk about recruiting in connection with the staff changes. I myself have expressed concerns about Manny in this regard. Others have talked about whether someone is or isn’t a good recruiter based on their selling ability, or perceived evaluations. Given how important this topic is to the future of the program, I thought it was worth a thread - not on the recruiting board, but here, as a matter of team management.

First, recruiting is about both evaluations and selling. I have been yapping about evaluations on these boards since early in the Coker years. But evals and selling are outcomes. You don’t get there effectively without a detailed plan and disciplined process. That’s where I’d start.

From the HC and staff perspective, a good recruiting plan requires clear prioritization. What approach, what qualities/types of kids, how to approach local schools and kids and issues, where and how and when to assess kids, how much information is enough, where the bar is set by position and year, how to balance roster spots amongst positions, how to balance types of kid by personality, ceiling, risk, dependability, readiness, etc., how many offers to send out, and when, what spots in any given year you go out of area for earliest, how to divide recruiting responsibilities amongst staff members, how to support recruiting in this new social media era, how to make sure staff members are doing their jobs well as the year unfolds, how to collectovely assess so it’s not different coaches deciding differently based on position groups, how to balance settling vs. holding out for better prospects, how to handle communications with HS coaches and parents, how to move on from a kid while minimizing fall-out, how to maintain contact and have back up plans, how to create perception of momentum, and on and on. And importantly, how to pay enough attention (and who to listen to) so that you don’t have message board regulars better informed than our staff, which has clearly happened in many instances over the past many years.

All of these issues require thought, a process, and a Head Coach to monitor them. Importantly, most to all of that can be done by a good manager. It does not require a great salesman, though that obviously helps. And it does not require a Hc to be a great evaluator, though that clearly helps also. It requires only the right plan, and the right input into evaluations, a discipline to stick to the process and know what you want, and urgency at getting at it. The salesmen can be assistant coaches. And while the HC needs a view on evaluations, a good process can narrow the choices a lot and help generally improve selections.

This stuff sounds obvious, but our last three coaches did an absolutely awful job on this topic. Not only in their down years but even their supposed good years. Recruiting used to be a lot about knowing local high school coaches and picking amongst local kids. Those things still matter, but in this new era, it’s totally changed. There is so much more information on so many more kids. It’s ripe for a Money Ball type approach with data and dicipline to free up coaches to spend their time in the best ways possible, in recruiting and otherwise.

IMO Manny can get this right, if he recognizes the importance of recruiting and prioritizes and resources around it. But I have no idea if he will. His record as DC was not comforting as far as recruiting goes, but his approach so far as a HC gives me some optimism.

@LuCane

Last edited:
Advertisement
Honestly the recruiting part is so worrisome, I don’t think you have a stud on defense and offense we don’t know yet obviously but Diaz would be wise to use the RB, WR, and TE position as your recruiters. Miami needs some heavy hitters or we’re going be having same problems with recruits as we did with Richt.

Honestly the recruiting part is so worrisome, I don’t think you have a stud on defense and offense we don’t know yet obviously but Diaz would be wise to use the RB, WR, and TE position as your recruiters. Miami needs some heavy hitters or we’re going be having same problems with recruits as we did with Richt.
This is an interesting topic especially as it relates to Diaz. Given what we know about Diaz in terms of personality traits I find it quite odd that he has not been much more of a force on the trail. Manny is passionate and energetic with an elite talk game. I dont know anything about his recruiting history at Texas, La Tech or Miss St but I have to at least consider the possibility that his lack of presence in recruiting may have been a function of a control freak like Richt being the head coach.

As far as recruiting is concerned moving forward under the Diaz regime I would think that it would be trending in a very positive direction just based on the excitement of having a new sheriff in town who seems to have his finger on the pulse of college football and the needs of our program. When kids see that Miami is going with an offensive philosophy that is modern, fun, exciting and aggressive, their outlook on our program will change accordingly. When these kids see that UM is running schemes that are tailor made for showcasing their talent they will be much more receptive.

Still, scheme and philosophy only serve as a solid foundation. We still need elite recruiters to compete in the current landscape of college football. To that end I would fully expect the upcoming hires of offensive position coaches to be comprised of excellent recruiters. The recent mentions of JuJuan Sieder and Trooper Taylor being considered would confirm this.

Advertisement
I wouldnt blame Richt for manny’s recruiting the past few years. Manny is analytical and smart, but the son of the mayor. He’s not a guy from the hood. And he’s not really warm. More personable but driven. He may not have the patience or emotion or connectivity to be a great recruiter. But he can manage recruiting, if he sets his mind to it. And yes, he needs good salespeople amd he needs good evaluators.

Great topic and great points and concerns. I said this earlier and it might be unlikely. We need to find a role for butch davis if he would take one either in admin or on field coach.

One thing I am curious to see is how Manny handles recruiting in light of his prior comments of making sure kids are a 'good fit.' While we should always be relatively selective, being particular has to be balanced with considering the abundance of local talent. Many fans bemoan the lack of offers to players that have real interest in being Canes. This doesn't mean that everyone who wants an offer should receive one. But there is ample evidence every Saturday of kids that we didn't even offer that are productive players on P5 schools nationwide. I think this a key component of evaluating, recognizing kids that may not be the obvious 5* that every program seeks but can still be major contributors. What will be his philosophy in identifying kids that can contribute while making sure that we aren't trolled by ones that do not value the opportunity to be a Cane?

His plan/process for developing kids will also be important. As noted above, kids know they can go to many different schools and still get national TV exposure. That will be appealing to the majority of kids. The difference makers, however, realize they have unlimited options. So their concern is on being developed for the NFL, just like a top students want to know how the university will prepare them for gainful employment. Having a process in place to help the blue chip student athletes reach their goals will determine how many of them consider Miami to be a preferred option.

Great topic and great points and concerns. I said this earlier and it might be unlikely. We need to find a role for butch davis if he would take one either in admin or on field coach.

Butch (allegedly) wants to be the HC, why would he take an assistant or admin position?

Advertisement
I wouldnt blame Richt for manny’s recruiting the past few years. Manny is analytical and smart, but the son of the mayor. He’s not a guy from the hood. And he’s not really warm. More personable but driven. He may not have the patience or emotion or connectivity to be a great recruiter. But he can manage recruiting, if he sets his mind to it. And yes, he needs good salespeople amd he needs good evaluators.

I don’t think Manny not being from the “hood” has anything to do with his recruiting prowess. JJ Johnson while having a hard life, was not from the hood. Butch Davis was certainly not from the hood. I don’t think his socioeconomics having anything to do with can he recruit. It may be a personality thing. He just may not resonate, connect or be relatable to recruits. Him being more of a “thinker” type, a person can see why he doesn’t do well in that area.

bennyhillwtf.gif

One thing I am curious to see is how Manny handles recruiting in light of his prior comments of making sure kids are a 'good fit.' While we should always be relatively selective, being particular has to be balanced with considering the abundance of local talent. Many fans bemoan the lack of offers to players that have real interest in being Canes. This doesn't mean that everyone who wants an offer should receive one. But there is ample evidence every Saturday of kids that we didn't even offer that are productive players on P5 schools nationwide. I think this a key component of evaluating, recognizing kids that may not be the obvious 5* that every program seeks but can still be major contributors. What will be his philosophy in identifying kids that can contribute while making sure that we aren't trolled by ones that do not value the opportunity to be a Cane?

His plan/process for developing kids will also be important. As noted above, kids know they can go to many different schools and still get national TV exposure. That will be appealing to the majority of kids. The difference makers, however, realize they have unlimited options. So their concern is on being developed for the NFL, just like a top students want to know how the university will prepare them for gainful employment. Having a process in place to help the blue chip student athletes reach their goals will determine how many of them consider Miami to be a preferred option.
I alluded to this above in asking where the bar is set. What do you do with rare talents who fit the spec with reservations? Johnny Ford, say, or Anthony Schwartz. Or the small CBs that come along every cycle. Small DTs also are a Q.

The defensive recruiting left a lot to be desired these last couple of cycles with the current staff. Despite the defense clearly having more buzz than the offense, its recruiting lagged behind the offense. Why? Year 1 was a transition calls, but we had Kool and didn't bring in the proper numbers. Year 2 we only bring in two DL total. Unacceptable. Why did Diaz, as the DC, allow Kool to not carry his own weight?

How do we lose our top DB targets year-in, and year out? Why so late in the year are we circling back to a guy like Kaiir Elam instead of being on him all cycle long?

These last three years with Diaz heading the defense, our defensive recruiting has been completely mismanaged despite the defense producing at a top level and having all the positive press a defense can get. I worry about the organization of the board and evaluation of defensive recruits. Also, it doesn't seem like we have any closers on the defensive side of the ball at all. If our best recruiter on defense is Banda then we're in trouble.

Advertisement

Great assessment of Diaz

For what it’s worth, I continue to believe that we should err on the side of more local kids each cycle. Build the relationships that pay dividemds over time. And evaluate well. There are always talented local kids who go overlooked.

Great topic.

My concern with Manny is his inability to fill the roster up with less than elite players at multiple positions. I get it, Surtain & Campbell get bags dropped on 'em, but I'll take a Malek Young & Redwine in some of these classes too. Its Miami, Florida and those kids are everywhere, so why do we only have 2 DBs committed? I hope, if Applewhite is the OC, then the rest of the staff is filled out with the very besg recruiters. Coley, Trooper, Seider, etc.

Advertisement
For what it’s worth, I continue to believe that we should err on the side of more local kids each cycle. Build the relationships that pay dividemds over time. And evaluate well. There are always talented local kids who go overlooked.
Malek Young was a solid player in our D, so why didnt we pursue a guy like Jaden Davis? Similar players imo.

They thought they were getting campbell, surtain, probably a few others.
Davis is a '19 kid...
Maybe they thought... after a 10-0 start and a 15-0 run they were really close to being back and that they could try for bigger fish? Idk, just seems to me we need many more quality bodies every year. Even our 2001 team had guys that were solid, not elite players.

Advertisement
Back