Let's Talk WR Recruiting - Prioritizing SIZE

Yesss!! Where is Tommy Streeter and Laron Byrd when you need them?

Tommy Streeter would have been WR1.

Not even playing around.

Tommy Streeter's Junior year he was a 29% / 38% marketshare WR.

I know brother @HighSeas has gotten some **** about Lawrence Cager...but Lawrence Cager would have been at minimum WR1a on this team.

LaRon Byrd was like WR3/WR4 on a team that had NFL players in front of him with Leonard Hankerson (6'3" btw), Allen Hurns (also 6'3") and Travis Benjamin (midget, with some of the most elite speed on planet earf).

Not sure I see your point, brother. As a matter of fact...just makes my point for me. Thanks.

Advertisement
Love those tall rangy wr’s LSU and Clemson are trotting out there, but I also feel Miami should always have that one speedster on the roster that can take a short pass and house it anytime (Tutu, waddle, Santana, Tb)...Unfortunately for us we have neither, unless Payton and Redding are as advertised

Hightower made a great 50/50 TD catch in the first game of 2018 against LSU, and yet people don't want him back. As if we are in a position to be picky.
Fair but he also dropped perfectly thrown balls that hit him in the chest

Advertisement
Hightower made a great 50/50 TD catch in the first game of 2018 against LSU, and yet people don't want him back. As if we are in a position to be picky.
Darrell langham made one of the best catches I’ve ever seen against Tech..Jeff Thomas made a great contested catch vs FSU..we harping on one play?

Respect the **** out of you homie, but your take on Mark Pope is absurd.

He's a good WR, hasn't been given the opportunity to blossom, just watch what he does in a new system.

If you're selling all your stock on him that's fine, I'll buy it for cheap, but he ain't no DB by any stretch of the imagination.

Patience is a virtue, he will be good for us in due time.

Advertisement
Schools like LSU and Clemson rely on big receivers because they know at the highest level of CFB you face press/tight man coverage and need ballwinners to create chunk plays and punish defenses for being aggressive.

But small receivers have a place if they are reliable with routes and hands. On crucial downs in past years Clemson would look to Renfrow or Adam Humphries to get open and keep the chains moving.

I'm a fan of variety and route running at the WR position and Miami has that with the '20 class assuming Redding develops the nuances that he self-admittedly lacks.

Respect the **** out of you homie, but your take on Mark Pope is absurd.

He's a good WR, hasn't been given the opportunity to blossom, just watch what he does in a new system.

If you're selling all your stock on him that's fine, I'll buy it for cheap, but he ain't no DB by any stretch of the imagination.

Patience is a virtue, he will be good for us in due time.

Listen man, I'm selling stock in the whole **** room. Not a position room on the team has been more underwhelming with as many headaches as the WR Room. Constant problems. KJ Osborn's role here has legit been damning to the entire unit.

Look at the attrition, too. Hightower, Ezzard, Njoku, Sam Bruce, Dionte Mullins, Dayall Harris, Lawrence Cager...would wager this unit since the Richt Era leads the team in headaches and attrition and we got NOTHING from'em. I never want to see Jeff Thomas again.

So man, if I'm selling, its not like I don't have a reason to. You want to hold on to your Mark Pope lotto ticket. Good luck.

Surely, some of these guys will perform better in a different system with some maturity and accountability...but I don't care at this point. They cant do worse. None of these players are special enough for me to keep giving the benefit of the doubt, and that includes Mark Pope. Anyone could be Mark Pope at this point...and I hope you bump this post after he leads the team in yards and touchdowns in 2020...but he hasn't earned any benefit of the doubt at this point.

As for the suggestion he switches to CB...listen man, an oldie but goodie

some other articles...

Just sayin man...Im trying to give the young man a career. But if hes soft, hes soft.

We do need more size but not only size.

Clemson doesn’t have any versatility.

It hurts them on 3rd downs not having a pure route runner who can win and create separation for easy throws.

Advertisement
tl;dr -- TALL BOYS ONLY...here's why.

Just going to start this off by stating THE STANDARD. The standard is Clemson and LSU.

LSU's starting WRs followed by listed size followed by marketshare of YARDS / TDS

Ja'Marr Chase (6'1" 200) - 28% / 32%
Justin Jefferson (6'3" 192) - 26% / 32%
Terrance Marshall Jr. (6'4" 200) - 13% / 25%
*Racey McMath (6'3" 221) and Derrick Dillon (5'11" 183) round out contributors.

Clemson's starting WRs followed by listed size followed by marketshare of YARDS / TDS

Tee Higgins (6'4" 215) - 28% / 33%
Justyn Ross (6'4" 205) - 20% / 20%
Amari Rodgers (5'10" 210) - 11% / 10%
*Diondre Overton (6'4" 210) and Joe Ngata (6'3" 215) round out contributors.

tl;dr - There are likely four first round wide receivers in the mix here with a few more Day 2 picks. You can extend this to more high draft picks if you look at these team's recruiting classes. Clemson, for example has Frank Ladson at 6'3" 192 sitting on the bench and redshirting. This isn't a case of "well, they have a couple big wide receivers"...no man, their entire roster is filled with monster mismatch wide receivers. Why is this important? They get vertical, they make contested catches, draw pass interference, muscle through trash defensive back tackling, extend drives by fighting for extra yards, have wide catch radius to make up for any ball placement and inaccuracy issues your QB may have. If you have ONE of these guys...easy to cover. You have FIVE? Well, good luck.

If you look into the statistics...I've posted enough about marketshare. If this concept is new to you, google it, I won't make this a Marketshare 101 class. Just know...its a great indicator of future success. 20% is the magic number. The younger you get there, the more phenomenal you are. Its a great tool that gets rid of any of the "yeah, well...look at who you have at QB"...listen man, it doesn't matter what offense you run, who your QB is, who your OC is...Calvin Johnson was racking up like 40% marketshare with Reggie Ball as his QB. Its a metric that literally wipes its *** with your excuses as for why a player does not produce. WR is a very simple position to evaluate. You either are, or you are not.

Now lets look at our roster and contributors in 2019 before we move forward. Name, listed size, marketshare results.

KJ Osborn (6'0" 206) - 17% / 19%
Mike Harley (5'9" 169) - 15% / 11%
Jeff Thomas (5'11" 174) - 12% / 11%
Mark Pope (6'1" 172) - 8% / 7%
Dee Wiggins (6'3" 192) - 10% / 15%

...moving forward

Jeremiah Payton (6'1" 188)
Michael Redding (6'2" 190)
Daz Worsham (6'2" 190)
Xavier Restrepo - maybe (5'10" 186)
Marcus Clarke - maybe (5'11" 175)

Statistical takeaway for returning contributors...

Some harsh truths. No one here is any good. There are likely hundreds of wide receivers in FBS college football who could have matched this production. You could get this ratio of marketshare with literally ANYONE. Nothing special here. For returning players...a SUNY-Buffalo WR2 (whose QB and WR1 were not drafted NFL players) walked into the University of Miami and took your job on Day1 and outproduced you all. Thats shameful. The collective needs to evaluate their future.

Also, sans underachieving, thus far pedestrian Dee Wiggins...yall are midgets. Replacement level ******* midgets.

I liked what I saw from Mike Harley here and there and he has emerged as a leader, but the reality is, right now, he's been nothing special. A decent little guy. I'd tell you to move to DB, but you're too small for that, too.
Mark Pope needs to go beg someone to go play DB. You're 6'0", barely 180lbs, and have provided barely register-able contributions to this team so far through the age of 20. Go play DB where what little size you have may be an asset. Walk into whoever coach's office and don't leave until they switch you over.
Dee Wiggins...step up or go play innermurals, brother. There is no reason why a 6-foot-3, nearly 200 human being on a roster of midgets should be WR4.
Jeremiah Payton...you couldn't see the field with these jobbers in front of you? Maybe we need to re-evaluate you, bruh.

Moving forward...if you're floating around 6'0" and have a modicum of athleticism, go play DB. I like the potential of players like Xavier Restrepo and Marcus Clarke on offense...but the reality is, they are very small players. Special teams and defensive back is their best pathway to early playing time and long term success...but I concede, they'd be fun on offense because they bring some explosiveness and grit to a juiceless core of WRs. I particularly like Restrepo.

We've discussed Michael Redding in previous posts, but he's the only WR on the entire roster that can do some things that the Clemson and LSU WRs can do downfield with contested catches...unfortunately, he's like 75% of their size. The eytest says he needs to be more developed, but unfortunately, we may need him to step up immediately, but thats a tough spot. Daz Worsham has gotten bigger, but looks slow on film. He's a more seasoned wide receiver, but still limited. Either way...both of these freshman need to be ready to play. If they can't play with these jobbers in front of them, idk what to tell you.

What does this mean for recruiting moving forward...ENOUGH OF THE MIDGETS. ESPECIALLY if you ain't special...and I mean REALLY special. Not fringey four-star "special" (thats not really special). There needs to be a hard, steadfast recruiting rule moving forward. TALL BOYS ONLY. 6'3", 6'4" go straight to the top of the board.

Miami has missed out on guys like 6'2" Marcus Rosemy...nearly 6'4" Xzavier Henderson...6'4" Malachi Wideman...6'3" Darin Turner...6'4" Leonard Manuel...6'3" Rome Odunze...6'3" Ocho Cinco Jr...6'4" Kentron Poitier...6'3" Elijah Cannon...6'3" Ajou Ajou...6'5" Kaleb Long (still available)....6'5" Damien Alford...among others we didn't even offer. In many cases these tall boys were simply misevaluated, too. Even people here nitpicked them apart. I don't care. Numerous players listed there are like Plan C, D, E, F types to this staff that can't evaluate anyway. At some point...6'4" is 6'4" and if you're flawed, that is what coaching is for. You can't teach size.

To offset this horrendous recruiting effort...Miami needs to go out to the transfer portal once again..they need to go out and get some tall boys. I hate quitters, so I am passing on Brian Hightower. Tarik Black, Justin Shorter, Dee Anderson...listen man, these guys would be immediate WR1 here. Go get some of these guys. Its necessary.

Starting in this next cycle...complete reshuffling of our board with tall WR prospects moving straight to the top. I got no time for midgets anymore. The game has changed. If Miami is going to some sort of legit spread, they need big wide receivers to make it happen.
The problem with that is it doesnt matter how big or fast your widerecivers are they need to be able to create separation and one problem miami especially has is catching the ball. Those guys yes while they are physically talented they are really good at creating separation and catching the ball in traffic. It looks great to the eye to see these monsters on the field but I would take a 5-11 reciever who constantly gets open over a 6-3 guy who gets open rarely

Schools like LSU and Clemson rely on big receivers because they know at the highest level of CFB you face press/tight man coverage and need ballwinners to create chunk plays and punish defenses for being aggressive.

But small receivers have a place if they are reliable with routes and hands. On crucial downs in past years Clemson would look to Renfrow or Adam Humphries to get open and keep the chains moving.

I'm a fan of variety and route running at the WR position and Miami has that with the '20 class assuming Redding develops the nuances that he self-admittedly lacks.

You've got to aspire to be at the top if you want to be at the top. Top teams have monster WRs. They aren't all manchildren like Tee Higgins, but they're often stacked with a variety of skillsets, but in pro bodies. People in here are really "whale actually...ALABAMA" as if they aren't all over 6'0" and special human beings. Are there outliers? Sure. On these top teams, do they have a role for midgets? Absolutely. Are they your WR1 or WR2...they shouldn't be. We've had roles for them, too - Berrios, Benjamin. They aren't useless, but they are best in limited roles and in limited quantities and they should be special in some way. We've legit got a roster full of them and they've all been JAGS so far. We're trotting out there with Jeff Thomas, Mike Harley, and KJ Osborn in 3WR sets...like, wtf are you supposed to do with that? Clearly, not much.

It’s all about having a variety of receivers. Sure , have you bigger types but you better have your smaller shifty type of guys too that you can rely on to get open quickly
Yea LSU and Clemson are different. Those WR have size, are really fast, run good routes, and are quick.

Advertisement
We need tough kids who can catch with their hands, go get the ball, and create separation.

Size, bigger and faster is great. But we’ve seen big fast waste after big fast waste since 2002 on this team. How’d Jolla do? Leggett? Moore? So many highly rated whatevers.

The Patriots run with 5-10 Edelman and 5-10 Dorsett. Let’s get guys who make plays.

Tommy Streeter would have been WR1.

Not even playing around.

Tommy Streeter's Junior year he was a 29% / 38% marketshare WR.

I know brother @HighSeas has gotten some **** about Lawrence Cager...but Lawrence Cager would have been at minimum WR1a on this team.

LaRon Byrd was like WR3/WR4 on a team that had NFL players in front of him with Leonard Hankerson (6'3" btw), Allen Hurns (also 6'3") and Travis Benjamin (midget, with some of the most elite speed on planet earf).

Not sure I see your point, brother. As a matter of fact...just makes my point for me. Thanks.
You can have Streeter and Byrd. I’ll take Wayne and Moss.

Advertisement
Back