Let's Talk Passing Statistics

Bennubird

Senior
Most of us feel that UM is the obvious smart choice for the receivers that we are recruiting - Smith, Thomas, Pouncey, and Harley - and that more over it makes little sense for elite kids from the 2018 class like Williams to already be committing to Bama.

I decided to take a look at cfbstats.com - College Football Statistics to see how Bama, Illinois, WVU, and other schools compare to UM statistically as a passing offense, and mind you I'm not talking about route trees or whether the passing yards they do get are from passing to runningbacks, which we all know is the case for Bama. But looking at the numbers it's pretty clear who is committed to passing the ball and whose not.

Rather than go player by player, I'm just going to place the numbers here and you reach your own conclusions. And yes, we will have a new QB next season, but again look at the numbers. Even Rosier in his one performance a year ago threw for 272 yards which is just two yards off our current team average of 274. If Weldon or Perry or Allison turn out to be better than Rosier, and I assume most would agree at least one will be, then we should be near our current team passing average next year because we are committed to passing the ball as clearly many of these other teams are not.

Here is the break down.

Team Passing
23 Louisville
27 UM
33 FSU
42 WVU
62 Tennessee
79 UF
81 Ohio State
85 Michigan
86 Nebraska
87 Alabama
101 LSU
109 Illinois

The only way an elite wide receiver recruit looks at bama at 87th in passing and commits there is because they either are not paying attention to their offense or the bags they are receiving are so big they are obstructing their view of the offense. Thomas is NOT going to Illinois. LSU has been bad at passing for years. To me the numbers suggest we are getting Thomas, Smith, and Pouncey.

What do you all think?

Last edited:
Advertisement
These elite receivers are paying attention to the fact that Bama has been in or in the race for the National Championship game for the past dozen years...and we just won our first post season game in a dozen years. Big time players want to win...and we just haven't done it...I am hoping that this changes quickly.

Win and they will come.

Bags+chance to play for a natty right away. That's it. Kids are young and immature and don't think of **** like this.

Kids are front-runners and obsessed with labels and posing on Instagram and Twitter. That's why they think going to Alabaga is the thing to do. It's a status thing. Makes them bigger social media stars.

Most of us feel that UM is the obvious smart choice for the receivers that we are recruiting - Smith, Thomas, Pouncey, and Harley - and that more over it makes little sense for elite kids from the 2018 class like Williams to already be committing to Bama.

I decided to take a look at cfbstats.com - College Football Statistics to see how Bama, Illinois, WVU, and other schools compare to UM statistically as a passing offense, and mind you I'm not talking about route trees or whether the passing yards they do get are from passing to runningbacks, which we all know is the case for Bama. But looking at the numbers it's pretty really clear who is committed to passing the ball and whose not.

Rather than go player by player, I'm just going to place the numbers here and you reach your own conclusions. And yes, we will have a new QB next season, but again look at the numbers. Even Rosier in his one performance a year ago threw for 272 yards which is just two yards off our current team average of 274. If Weldon or Perry or Allison turn out to be better than Rosier, and I assume most would agree at least one will be, then we should be near our current team passing average next year because we are committed to passing the ball as clearly many of these other teams are not.

Here is the break down.

Team Passing
23 Louisville
27 UM
33 FSU
42 WVU
62 Tennessee
79 UF
81 Ohio State
85 Michigan
86 Nebraska
87 Alabama
101 LSU
109 Illinois

The only way an elite wide receiver recruit looks at bama at 87th in passing and commits there is because they either are not paying attention to their offense or the bags they are receiving are so big they are obstructing their view of the offense. Thomas is NOT going to Illinois. LSU has been bad at passing for years. To me the numbers suggest we are getting Thomas, Smith, and Pouncey.

What do you all think?

hope these recruits are as smart as you, or at least understand what they are getting into, this info says it all. It's all about the money, these guys are getting paid early, but will not get as much later. Short term thinking.

Advertisement

I decided to take a look at cfbstats.com - College Football Statistics to see how Bama, Illinois, WVU, and other schools compare to UM statistically as a passing offense, and mind you I'm not talking about route trees or whether the passing yards they do get are from passing to runningbacks, which we all know is the case for Bama. But looking at the numbers it's pretty really clear who is committed to passing the ball and whose not.

Here is the break down.

Team Passing
23 Louisville
27 UM
33 FSU
42 WVU
62 Tennessee
79 UF
81 Ohio State
85 Michigan
86 Nebraska
87 Alabama
101 LSU
109 Illinois

What do you all think?

Great work, but I think it should be obvious by now that most top recruits aren't interested in what seems obvious to us.

If you all remember when you were that age, you were indestructible and would conquer the world by your early 20's. Recruits aren't any different and were you to show them these stats, they would emphatically state how that would change when they got on campus. They are the kings of high school football in their area, nobody will get in their way, and when they get to the NFL in three years they'll dominate there.

No doubt Chise, but I'm thinking Smith and Thomas are cut from a different cloth...hoping so anyway.

Kids are front-runners and obsessed with labels and posing on Instagram and Twitter. That's why they think going to Alabaga is the thing to do. It's a status thing. Makes them bigger social media stars.

Advertisement
It is shortsighted in the extreme. Hurts could barely get Ridley the ball on bubble screens. If it was one or two elite receivers at bama I'd shrug it off, but you have legit elite talent in our wheelhouse and they are signing up to be glorified run blockers.

Here is the break down.

Team Passing
23 Louisville
27 UM
33 FSU
42 WVU
62 Tennessee
79 UF
81 Ohio State
85 Michigan
86 Nebraska
87 Alabama
101 LSU
109 Illinois

What do you all think?

hope these recruits are as smart as you, or at least understand what they are getting into, this info says it all. It's all about the money, these guys are getting paid early, but will not get as much later. Short term thinking.

Indeed...but the numbers don't lie.

Here is the break down.

Team Passing
23 Louisville
27 UM
33 FSU
42 WVU
62 Tennessee
79 UF
81 Ohio State
85 Michigan
86 Nebraska
87 Alabama
101 LSU
109 Illinois

What do you all think?

Great work, but I think it should be obvious by now that most top recruits aren't interested in what seems obvious to us.

These elite receivers are paying attention to the fact that Bama has been in or in the race for the National Championship game for the past dozen years...and we just won our first post season game in a dozen years. Big time players want to win...and we just haven't done it...I am hoping that this changes quickly.

Win and they will come.

I agree with the doc. It's just that simple, win and they, in particular SoFl athletes, will come. We don't live in an age if realism or facts, these kids want instant gratification. Many lack proper guidance or are guided by street agents who expect something in return for delivering the kid and from the kid if he makes it professionally.

Indeed...but the numbers don't lie.

Here is the break down.

Team Passing
23 Louisville
27 UM
33 FSU
42 WVU
62 Tennessee
79 UF
81 Ohio State
85 Michigan
86 Nebraska
87 Alabama
101 LSU
109 Illinois

What do you all think?

True, but the problem is getting the kids to listen.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back