Lets talk our best position group!

Hurns set the Miami single season receiving record, catching 62 passes for 1,162 yards and six touchdowns as the primary target for Stephen Morris. He accounted for 45 percent of the total yards by the wide receiver group.

With that being said, Miami returns every other member of the 2013 wide receiver group and they figure to be a stronger unit as a whole. Expectations are high for sophomore Stacy Coley after his stellar freshman campaign in which he totaled 591 receiving yards and a team leading seven receiving touchdowns. Coley also ran for 80 yards and one touchdown and returned one punt and one kick for a touchdown.

Coley stepped up in the second half of the season, stepping up as a playmaker when running back Duke Johnson was lost to a season ending injury at Florida State. Coley scored seven of his ten total touchdowns in the final five games of the season. He finished the season with tremendous momentum and carried that into the offseason by showing a tremendous work ethic.

“Stacy has a really good work ethic,” coach Al Golden said. “He just has to keep gaining weight and strength. We don’t have a problem asking him to study football and work. If anything we have to pull him out. We just have to get his overall strength and size increased this offseason.”

“He is so smart, he works hard,” offensive coordinator James Coley said. “If he continues doing what he’s doing and stays positive and continues with his attitude, the sky is the limit.”

Coley is working hard because he has set high goals for himself in 2014.

“Most definitely (I want to get 1,000),” Coley said. “Before Allen left he told all of the receivers to go out and break his record. He set the record high so the receivers are working hard trying to break that record or even get close to the record.”

Malcolm Lewis Is Healthy And Productive

Malcolm Lewis

Perhaps no player had a greater transformation this spring than sophomore Malcolm Lewis.

Lewis started the spring in a red non-contact jersey while he recovered from offseason groin surgery. He progressed to a yellow limited contact jersey and during the second half of the spring he was a full participant.

That is when Lewis’ spring took off and he started to return to the form he showed before dislocating his ankle as a true freshman in 2012.

Lewis was Miami’s most productive receiver in the final two scrimmages of the game as he looked to have his quickness and explosion back as he developed a nice connection with Kevin Olsen. In the scrimmage prior to the spring game, Lewis caught five passes for 103 yards and one touchdown.

“I feel like I have done well this spring,” Lewis said. “I am getting in and out of my breaks quick again and better with my routes. I feel like I am all the way back. I just need to keep working. It is the best I have felt since my freshman year. My explosion and coming out of my routes is back to where it used to be.”

Also helping Lewis return to his freshman form is his commitment to improving his conditioning. Lewis has lost nine pounds since last season and is in much better shape. Lewis’ teammates and coaches have also noticed that he is a different player than he was in 2013.

“He is back to being the Malcolm we know,” Howard said. “He is back to making plays and being that fast and quick receiver we all know he can be. I am so happy for him. He is my best friend. We have been playing football together for a long time. I am glad he is back.”

Lewis figures to be a big part of Miami’s 2014 offense as the slot receiver that can work the short and intermediate routes.

Rashawn Scott

“It just took a long time for him to come back,” coach Al Golden said. “He is in great condition and he has really done a great job. The twitch is back for him.”

Rashawn Scott On The Right Path

After sustaining a shoulder injury in the season opener against FAU, senior Rashawn Scott never cracked the playing rotation again in 2013.

Back in 2012, Scott was establishing himself as a big part of the offense as he totaled 512 yards and three touchdowns through nine games. He was then suspended for the last three games due to an off-the-field issue. Ever since then he has had to work his way back into the rotation.

This spring, Scott worked with the first team offense and says he has put his troubled past behind him.

“Things have been a lot different now,” he said. “I’m just thinking more about doing the right thing and just not going places. The little things get you in trouble. I just have to focus on that because it’s nothing ever big. It’s something little and then it all builds up and then it explodes to something big.”

Coach Al Golden has seen a difference in Scott too.

“A process and maturity,” Golden said. “Just forgetting about all of the outside stuff, letting go of immature things, just growing up and understanding just how precious this time is. He doesn’t have a lot of time. He’s had a really good approach. I think Ryan Williams has had a great influence on him. I think they’re creating a bond there and that’s good. Ryan has been a positive influence on him and Rashawn has done well so he has to keep coming on for us.”

If Scott is able to continue down the right path, Miami is confident he can fill the role of being the big receiver for the offense.

“He’s a big body at 202 pounds, he’s over 6-foot, is a big strong kid who can do a lot of things for you,” Golden said. “We missed him last year and we obviously had some injuries on top of that, that really deflated that group. We missed him and I’m glad he’s really taken responsibility and doing a good job right now.”

Phillip Dorsett Moving Forward

Phillip Dorsett was just starting to find his rhythm when he sustained a knee injury that knocked him out of the majority of the 2013 season at North Carolina.

In Miami’s first scrimmage of the spring, Dorsett showed no effects of the injury as he beat cornerback Tracy Howard deep for a 60-yard bomb.

“They dropped the safety down in the box, so I knew I was going to be one-on-one with the corner,” Dorsett said of the play. “Nobody was back, so I looked at Ryan and I knew he was going to check it and I ran a get open route and it was there. We took a chance and it worked out.”

Dorsett’s speed is one of the potent weapons the UM offense has in its ****nal. Last season he totaled 272 yards and two touchdowns while averaging 20 yards per catch. In 2012, Dorsett led the team with 842 yards and four touchdowns.

Former UM receiver Allen Hurns is excited to see what Dorsett does in 2014.

“Phillip Dorsett got banged up last year and I am excited to see how he bounces back,” Hurns said. “I know he will because he works hard. You can’t forget about his sophomore season.

D’mauri Jones In The Rotation

D’mauri Jones hasn’t played much during his Miami career.

After a strong showing this spring, Jones figures to have a much larger role in 2014 and as the tallest receiver on the team, Jones would like to be a redzone target.

“That’s one of the things I would like to specialize in and I will continue on improving on that too,” he said. “I’m a jump ball guy, but I also want to improve on my ball skills and stuff like that too.”
Jones was one of the most consistent receivers this spring. His play got the attention of his teammates too.

“He has been good,” cornerback Tracy Howard said. “My freshman year, he was whatever, but now you have to get ready when you go against him. He is coming around. He is going to climb the ladder and get that ball. He is going to get 70 percent of those balls.”

http://miami.247sports.com/Article/...ation.Success=You+have+successfully+logged+in!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back