Let's talk about Patke

Insanecane

Junior
Banned
I'll preface this by saying Manny Shannon is terrible and needs to go, along with pEnos, Baker, Barry, Stubbs, and probably one of Banda or Rumph.

Now, that said, I've looked into Patke and I don't know that he's not one of our most decent coaches. Let's take a look at the two things he coaches, striker and special teams.

Striker: Finley has played phenominally in my opinion. Sure he's not perfect but dude is always flyin around the field making tackles. He is one of the few guys who will man up against the TE or RB and successfully cover. This is a fairly young position and I thing Patke has done a solid job with it.

Special Teams: he took over special teams from last year. Last year's special teams were a disaster in every phase. Coverage was poor, we gave up several long returns and TDs last year. Our return game was a joke, and punting and kicking was lolers. This year the kicking was terrible, part of that I blame on Baxa. Baxa went completely off the reservation cookoo. But Patke eventually settled on a guy who's made more than misses and our kicking has improved. Our coverage has been very solid this year and we've even made some fairly great returns.
Our punting situation is light years better as well. My point is that social teams have improved and have gotten better as the season progressed. That can in part be attributed back to Patke.

I was not sold on the Patke promotion and felt it was very premature. And Patke the recruiter has left a lot to be desired. But his U its have I proved and played well. He might be a solid young coach after all.

Thoughts?

Advertisement
He's not ready to be DC, but I don't have huge problems with any of the defensive staff besides Baker. Banda and Rumph are definitely question marks, but not the most urgent problem.

To be determined still. Right now I'd upgrade if possible but that's not going to happen so we'll see.

I’m more concerned with the offense. I’d kick Enos, Barry, and Stubblefield to the curb. The RBs and TEs were okay. On defense Baker needs to go.

Punt team--All Big Lou
Return Team--All KJ
Kicker--A dumb *** would have switched to Camden at some point.
Striker--All Finley.
Patke--Meh.

Advertisement
Actually Finley was bad and played slow and uninspired after his little flash of excellence the first few games.
A coach who does so little should be a beast recruiter

Advertisement
Back