Let's take inventory at LB

The problem is we don't have a "Mike Smith" who can provide Shaq a breather and be dependable not to F anything up in the process. That is why there should be cause for concern. Same with Pinckney. Who is his reliable backup? We cant depend on them to play whole games especially against team that will require them to chase.

Don't even try. You're talking to people who play Madden with the fatigue setting off.

Mike Smith is a great example....kid played a lot, had 40+ tackles, including 7.5 for loss. You have to have a kid like that. 55 & 56 play maybe 70% of the snaps. Who is backing them up? The answer this year is, who the f knows?

But again, we don't have to talk in absolute extremes. Is LB depth a concern? Of course. Is it cause to shut down the program or will it cause Miami to go 0-12 this year? Of course not. So I hate the people who say "relax". It's 9:30 in the morning on a random Tuesday in the spring. We're all relaxed. But we're discussing the state of this program, and unequivocally, the LB recruiting and depth is not on par for a championship program, and there's no excuse for it.

The 2020 class is a chance to get it right. Manny and his staff need to make that happen.

Advertisement
Well we all saw this coming, really. In the 2018 class, which we were all thrilled with, it was a heavy offensive class. So, once the confetti was cleaned up that February, we all said that the 2019 class needed to be heavy on defense to balance out the talent we got on offense in 2018. That didn't exactly happen the way we planned. We obviously signed some kids, but the 2019 defensive class wasn't even close to the 2018 offensive class. There's a reason we brought in 4 defensive transfers.

Specifically talking LB, I really liked Huff as much as anyone we were recruiting at backer last class. He's going to be excellent, although I think he needs at least a year or two to develop. Brooks I've been very much on the fence on. I think he's a lot like Patrick Joyner. He's a tweener. He's not big or strong enough to play on the weakside with his hand in the dirt, and he's not quick enough to play Pinckney's spot. Clearly his strength is as a pass rusher, so I'm not really banking on him being a LB. Hence the reason we need AT LEAST 3 true LBs this class, if not 4 if you want to throw in a hybrid/striker player.
I'll say this about Joyner, he looked really good Saturday, he just happens to be at the spot with the most dudes in front of him. We shall see about Brooks, with that kind of athleticism he had pre-injury you have to take him and find a spot for him. I understand that being with the hope hes fully recovered from the knee injury. I guess my bigger point was that as much success on the field the defense has had, its hasnt directly resulted in great recruiting classes defensively

Their is no "irony" the people crying and complaining about coach richt were just to ignorant to understand what he was doing. He was building this team from the ground up. He was consistently stacking offensive talent for sure, so coach enos is not coming in here and more than likely wasnt coming in here if the offensive talent wasnt here. Coach richt was doing his job of upgrading the overall talent on the roster in the 3 years he was here, but morons kept acting like coach richt took over this program after butch davis or jimmy johnson.
The talent is here, it is just young and needed more time to develoo physically and mentally. To many clowns keep making statements that prove they dont know football, everytime we see a statement saying "so & so should of gotten playing time last year" and they are referring to True freshman and 2nd year crybabies, it shows many on here are clueless.

Until this year, the linebacking recruiting has consistently been under recruited, some of the same morons that consistently kept berating coach rumph as if he has been a failure here recruiting shows their consistent delusion to reality, to make matters worse, in their minds coach rumph cant recruit, all of a sudden a so called "4star" recruit from Bama commits and signs here and clowns posters and article writers going crazy as if coach rumph has finally done something special, but when the question was asked, what's the difference between the Bama "4star" that signec this year vs all the other consistent "4 star" players coach rumph been signing. This is why i cant take many on here serious. Coach rumph has consistently out recruited coach diaz, but the liars on here believed in their crazy heads and tried to convince others coach rumph was supposedly the worst recruiter on staff, when all the evidence shows otherwise. Also coach rumph has actually been one of the best if not the best player developer on staff since he's been here but the clowns that cried cause of highschool players he coached went elsewhere, and even with us having the #1 pass defense in the nation, that still didnt mean nothing to those morons, why, because they only are interested in being star whores and thinking because a group of clueless morons designate a certain school as having the"top ranked" recruiting class means something, we'll see who has the top ranked anything when we hit the field.

Their is no "irony" the people crying and complaining about coach richt were just to ignorant to understand what he was doing. He was building this team from the ground up. He was consistently stacking offensive talent for sure, so coach enos is not coming in here and more than likely wasnt coming in here if the offensive talent wasnt here. Coach richt was doing his job of upgrading the overall talent on the roster in the 3 years he was here, but morons kept acting like coach richt took over this program after butch davis or jimmy johnson.
The talent is here, it is just young and needed more time to develoo physically and mentally. To many clowns keep making statements that prove they dont know football, everytime we see a statement saying "so & so should of gotten playing time last year" and they are referring to True freshman and 2nd year crybabies, it shows many on here are clueless.

Until this year, the linebacking recruiting has consistently been under recruited, some of the same morons that consistently kept berating coach rumph as if he has been a failure here recruiting shows their consistent delusion to reality, to make matters worse, in their minds coach rumph cant recruit, all of a sudden a so called "4star" recruit from Bama commits and signs here and clowns posters and article writers going crazy as if coach rumph has finally done something special, but when the question was asked, what's the difference between the Bama "4star" that signec this year vs all the other consistent "4 star" players coach rumph been signing. This is why i cant take many on here serious. Coach rumph has consistently out recruited coach diaz, but the liars on here believed in their crazy heads and tried to convince others coach rumph was supposedly the worst recruiter on staff, when all the evidence shows otherwise. Also coach rumph has actually been one of the best if not the best player developer on staff since he's been here but the clowns that cried cause of highschool players he coached went elsewhere, and even with us having the #1 pass defense in the nation, that still didnt mean nothing to those morons, why, because they only are interested in being star whores and thinking because a group of clueless morons designate a certain school as having the"top ranked" recruiting class means something, we'll see who has the top ranked anything when we hit the field.

very true and underrated statement.

a little off topic, but during the scrimmage we played a few third downs with three D lineman, 2 linebackers and 6 DBs.

Advertisement
Quality depth is lacking in quite a few areas but the good news is this 2020 class can fix most of that as we only have a handful of seniors and only Garvin is a realistic candidate to go pro. Maybe JT4 but WR isn’t a problem.

Advertisement
Don't even try. You're talking to people who play Madden with the fatigue setting off.

Mike Smith is a great example....kid played a lot, had 40+ tackles, including 7.5 for loss. You have to have a kid like that. 55 & 56 play maybe 70% of the snaps. Who is backing them up? The answer this year is, who the f knows?

But again, we don't have to talk in absolute extremes. Is LB depth a concern? Of course. Is it cause to shut down the program or will it cause Miami to go 0-12 this year? Of course not. So I hate the people who say "relax". It's 9:30 in the morning on a random Tuesday in the spring. We're all relaxed. But we're discussing the state of this program, and unequivocally, the LB recruiting and depth is not on par for a championship program, and there's no excuse for it.

The 2020 class is a chance to get it right. Manny and his staff need to make that happen.

Agree 100%. I just have nightmares of Pinck and Shaq in the UF game being like Tim Jernigan (FSU) and Reuben Foster (ALA) in their respective national title games being so exhausted in the middle of the 4th quarter that they could hardly finish the game and ended up burning out due to no depth behind them. I remember that like it happened yesterday. And those two were All-Americans on the biggest stage. Jernigan never did go back into the game against Auburn and Foster barely finished it against Clemson in a losing effort.

Lets hope that Jennings is good to go and both freshmen live up to their hype. (Brooks/Huff)

Agree 100%. I just have nightmares of Pinck and Shaq in the UF game being like Tim Jernigan (FSU) and Reuben Foster (ALA) in their respective national title games being so exhausted in the middle of the 4th quarter that they could hardly finish the game and ended up burning out due to no depth behind them. I remember that like it happened yesterday. And those two were All-Americans on the biggest stage. Jernigan never did go back into the game against Auburn and Foster barely finished it against Clemson in a losing effort.

Lets hope that Jennings is good to go and both freshmen live up to their hype. (Brooks/Huff)

Jernigan went hard af that night

LB recruiting is troubling, even for Manny’s standards. Here’s praying that gets fixed in 2020. Also good to see Diaz/Baker adjusting to the strengths on the team in an attempt to mask the defensive weaknesses we have this year. Huff and Brooks are definitely going to have to play big minutes this season, here’s praying they remain healthy and can spell Shaq and Pinck when they need it. Also of the belief that Diaz will dip back into the Portal for another LB, but we are down to what 1-2 spots max for the 2019 class?

Advertisement
Hahahahaha so now y’all worried we can’t replace Mike Smith? Hahahahaha y’all will find anything to stress about...

Advertisement

Even Mike Smith got hurt last year and missed some time.

The 4-2-5 defense is the best defense in CF right now. The speed u have on the field matches up well with the spread offenses of today. Manny made the smart move by bringing in Baker to run the 4-2-5 as our base. TCU has been running it for years. I first seen it on NCAA when Patterson got there. Perfect defense for the type of athletes the south Florida recruiting area produces.

Edit: and Sam Brooks will be a stud.

Can't leave Romeo Finley off of this. Guy has the tools and instincts to a be a run-hit backer.

Adrian Phillips, who plays for the LA Chargers, had 98 tackles last season, and even started at Linebacker, alongside Derwin James, against the Patriots in the playoffs.

The need for fast maafkas in the box is HUGE. Romeo Finley should be one of our starters in the box on obvious passing downs.

Considering that we should have a striker on the field a lot, the answer should be McCloud. He'll be a 4th year player in the same defense. It shouldn't be too much for him to be able to fill in at Mike and Will. It would be a great opportunity for him to get more PT.

Advertisement
Back