Off-Topic Lets see some summer fish shots

I do mostly in shore but that’s bc I’ve Never had a chance to do off shore but a couple times. I’m always down to fish.

I’m running a 22’ key west CC

I have a smaller 1720 key west sportsman for gettin in those skinny creeks.

my buddies and I are big into shrimping as well. You getinto that at all?
I haven't done any shrimping but at some point I want to try. I got a flats boat about 10 years ago so all I really know is deep inshore reds, trout, and flounder. I put in at bushy park and mostly worked the yellow house area of the cooper. Up until September last year that's all I did. My brother took the flats boat with him when he went back home. Now I gotta figure out what I'm doing with the bigger boat. The good news is I can still get in and out of a lot of my old places, I just can't stay back there as long. This is from thursday, I fish my way to the back of the creek and get purposefully get stuck back there. I wait out the tide flip and fish my way back out. It's been productive if you don't mind chilling for a while. I think this picture was on the way back out. I've got pictures from other trips back there with me pretty much out of water. lol I've learned to avoid those tides.
20200611_071246-01small.jpg

What areas are you fishing? I know the wando ok but I know the cooper way better.

Advertisement
I haven't done any shrimping but at some point I want to try. I got a flats boat about 10 years ago so all I really know is deep inshore reds, trout, and flounder. I put in at bushy park and mostly worked the yellow house area of the cooper. Up until September last year that's all I did. My brother took the flats boat with him when he went back home. Now I gotta figure out what I'm doing with the bigger boat. The good news is I can still get in and out of a lot of my old places, I just can't stay back there as long. This is from thursday, I fish my way to the back of the creek and get purposefully get stuck back there. I wait out the tide flip and fish my way back out. It's been productive if you don't mind chilling for a while. I think this picture was on the way back out. I've got pictures from other trips back there with me pretty much out of water. lol I've learned to avoid those tides.
View attachment 118990

What areas are you fishing? I know the wando ok but I know the cooper way better.

That’s awesome man! I get stuck all the time discovering new spots. I’m very familiar with that area. I fish the cooper a lot! I’ll have to show you some good spots.

Im on James Island so I try to explore close to home. Been in the Folly River a lot. Also up the Stono and Kiawah River.

Most of the good trout spots are up the ICW near IOP and Dewees.

We should team up and jump on a school of reds. Last weeks I watched droves of reds in 6” water.

Were you from the area? What High School if so. So you wading around Bull Bay? or south near Mondongo / Jug Creek Shoals?

I'm a partner in one of the fish shacks in Bull Bay. We have waded a lot over the years and had a few sharks check us out, I had to bump one with a gig once to get him to leave. As we have gotten older, we tend to drink a little more than fish, than wade across to one of the other shacks (To left over my shoulder) a few hundred yards away. We've come back thrown a mullet on a big rig and caught 5-7 foot Black-tip, Lemon or Bull Sharks. We just got back and dried off and changed, my buddy (Our HS DC) still has the towel around his neck. This one swam away fine.
View attachment 118974
That’s pretty wild ref the sharks..pretty big ones too...lol. Thanks for sharing. I actually grew up in Miami and went to Palmetto. So new to the SW area and love it so far. I was actually wading a bit to the East of you, along the mangroves south of Burnt Store Marina. I’ve read good stuff about The Jug creek area and thought I’d take the yak up there sometime soon to check it out. I haven’t heard of Bull Bay yet.

That’s awesome man! I get stuck all the time discovering new spots. I’m very familiar with that area. I fish the cooper a lot! I’ll have to show you some good spots.

Im on James Island so I try to explore close to home. Been in the Folly River a lot. Also up the Stono and Kiawah River.

Most of the good trout spots are up the ICW near IOP and Dewees.

We should team up and jump on a school of reds. Last weeks I watched droves of reds in 6” water.
That sounds great, I'm always up for learning new water. Where do you usually put in down there? Boat's getting the 100 hour service at Henckels but after that I'll be ready to go.

Advertisement
That’s pretty wild ref the sharks..pretty big ones too...lol. Thanks for sharing. I actually grew up in Miami and went to Palmetto. So new to the SW area and love it so far. I was actually wading a bit to the East of you, along the mangroves south of Burnt Store Marina. I’ve read good stuff about The Jug creek area and thought I’d take the yak up there sometime soon to check it out. I haven’t heard of Bull Bay yet.

Well, welcome to Charlotte Harbor. Yeah that's a great area. Two areas that have produced the biggest snook I've seen is further south in Ponce DeLeon Park channel (Trolling at night) and then on a hard incoming tide at night floating live bait huge shrimp into the Burntstore Marina Chanel (That Island holds some big fish on occasion to, but the areas are fished a lot. You have to hit it. Lots of Cobia run that sandbar and Tarpon are there a lot during the summer in the 5-10 foot depths. You'll have fun fishing there.

Bull Bay is across the Harbor from Bokeelia (northern tip of Pine Island), then Turtle Bay, two legenday fishing spots.

Thanks👍 it sounds like a great area and I’ll defiantly try for the big snook and poons as you mentioned. Super cool ref the cobia running the sandbar. I’ll let you know how I do. Thanks again👍🎣🎣

I dont give af who or what you are...You saying I'm landlocked...and have a 18' Mako sitting in my driveway....Lol at commercial fisherman...So tf what.....My advice...learn who you're talking to before spouting off...

Bro; come on OG, my man was just playing brotha. It’s all love here, man. We catching, cooking, and fileting fisheseseses in this thread, bro....not feelings. We know u the king of the kitchen, pimp. Cook is a good dude; it’s just jokes mi brethren.

Advertisement
That sounds great, I'm always up for learning new water. Where do you usually put in down there? Boat's getting the 100 hour service at Henckels but after that I'll be ready to go.

wappoo boat landing. Sol Legare, and folly river landing

Man fellas; I’m hella impressed. I used to fish all the time as a youngster; deep sea fishing off Marina Del Rey in LA, and down in Mississippi in the Summers, the Gulf of Mexico, and lake fishing at Hemet, and Castaic. Used to abalone dive too. My Grandma back in Mississippi had a cat fish pond, and that’s where I learned as a young boy.

Man, I haven’t been fishing in years; at least 15 besides picking it up from the local seafood market, but u gentlemen have inspired me to pick it up again. Hella impressed w what I’m seeing. And hella impressed w @1LuvCane & @caneinorlando w the smoking, cooking tips.

Last edited:
Man fellas; I’m hella impressed. I used to fish all the time as a youngster; deep sea fishing off Marina Del Rey in LA, and down in Mississippi in the Summers, the Gulf of Mexico, and lake fishing at Hemet, and Castaic. Used to abalone dive too Grandma back in Mississippi had a cat fish pond, and that’s where I learned as a young boy.

Man, I haven’t been fishing in years; at least 15 besides picking it up from the local seafood market, but u gentlemen have inspired me to pick it up again. Hella impressed w what I’m seeing. And hella impressed w @1LuvCane & @caneinorlando w the smoking, cooking tips.
Brethren, love and respect to you.
Now you have to drop an abalone diving story...

I guess its fair to say you also spent some time at Club La Vela...
Haha I think everyone that's been there has a La Vela story. I hooked up with this Asian chick that was taller than me (I'm 6'2") on the beach behind the club. I just remember I kept calling her Yao Ming cuz I couldn't remember her name. Like I said, Bourbon, seafood, and college girls...**** of a TDY.

Advertisement
10,000 islands in the Everglades a few years back in a kayak. It was burning hot for December so fish didn’t bite very well. Still one cool experience. View attachment 118994
I used to think the people who did this were crazy. They'd be in a 10' kayak with a 15' gator next to them. My favorite spot to fish in the world. It's rare you don't catch your fill of fish, but you'll still have an adventure.

Brethren, love and respect to you.
Now you have to drop an abalone diving story...

Man; sheesh bro....

OK there’s a little back story: I used to smash this bad Italian & black chick from college (like CIS *** gif bad, w green eyes)....anyways, anyways, her pops was big on grunion runs. He got me in to that w his crew. Well his crew use to also head up North to Mendocino.
Man; straight light gear w the snorkel equipment, going along the edges of the reefs in that cold water. It’s so surreal to just be outside of your own domain, and I’m not the greatest of swimmers, so it was intimidating, but they helped me along the way. Man, we had helllllllllla abalone. It was 5 of us, and we all had at least 12/per.

It’s outlawed now in CA, but man I did it twice & it was a blast. Seeing sea life up close??? I totally get the fascination to scuba, snorkel, and ocean swimming. I would never do it alone b/c I’m not the best swimmer, like I said, but it’s one of those moments where u just love being one w nature, while eating good afterwards.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I used to think the people who did this were crazy. They'd be in a 10' kayak with a 15' gator next to them. My favorite spot to fish in the world. It's rare you don't catch your fill of fish, but you'll still have an adventure.

What’s crazy is we didn’t see any gators while fishing. Our guide said the biggest threat he typically sees are snakes. To even get out there we had to go through a hole in the mangroves where he said snakes are all over.

We did see a massive python in the middle of the road one night. We stayed in Everglades city. I was also surprised by all the panther crossings sings I saw on the side of the highways heading to Miami. We went down there for a night to catch a Miami Heat game.

the weekend we were there it was in the 90’s , abnormal weather for December and he said it played a part in the fishing. We landed some snook once we got back by roads and small bridges etc.. not much when we were out in the Everglades really.

Man; sheesh bro....

OK there’s a little back story: I used to smash this bad Italian & black chick from college (like CIS *** gif bad, w green eyes)....anyways, anyways, her pops was big on grunion runs. He got me in to that w his crew. Well his crew use to also head up North to Mendocino.
Man; straight light gear w the snorkel equipment, going along the edges of the reefs in that cold water. It’s so surreal to just be outside of your own domain, and I’m not the greatest of swimmers, so it was intimidating, but they helped me along the way. Man, we had helllllllllla abalone. It was 5 of us, and we all had at least 12/per.

It’s outlawed now in CA, but man I did it twice & it was a blast. Seeing sea life up close??? I totally get the fascination to scuba, snorkel, and ocean swimming. I would never do it alone b/c I’m not the best swimmer, like I said, but it’s one of those moments where u just love being one w nature, while eating good afterwards.
That sounds cool as ****. What an experience? Their is nothing like the experience of the ocean. Of course, if it plays out right the meal afterwards. Maybe we'll get a Mississippi mudfish experience and how grandma cooked it. I'm not a big catfish fan but I know from my visits to Biloxi that momma probably made a delicious dish....

What’s crazy is we didn’t see any gators while fishing. Our guide said the biggest threat he typically sees are snakes. To even get out there we had to go through a hole in the mangroves where he said snakes are all over.

We did see a massive python in the middle of the road one night. We stayed in Everglades city. I was also surprised by all the panther crossings sings I saw on the side of the highways heading to Miami. We went down there for a night to catch a Miami Heat game.

the weekend we were there it was in the 90’s , abnormal weather for December and he said it played a part in the fishing. We landed some snook once we got back by roads and small bridges etc.. not much when we were out in the Everglades really.
Yeah weather plays a big role. If you ever get a chance you should go back, best fishing in the world. Last time I went we filled 3 coolers. Lot of mangrove snapper, lot of red, some black drum too, snook, sheepshead, and some grouper.

Yeah weather plays a big role. If you ever get a chance you should go back, best fishing in the world. Last time I went we filled 3 coolers. Lot of mangrove snapper, lot of red, some black drum too, snook, sheepshead, and some grouper.
Camp out during the winter months on rabbit key just outside Chokoloskee (island after everglades city). Go wading off the island for reds and sea trout. Pretty awesome experience...

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back