Off-Topic Lets see some summer fish shots

Nice haul. I see flies landing on them, good sign. That means they don't have Ciguatera toxin if the flies land on them. That's how you know if a Barracudda is good to eat according to an old Bahamian years ago - he laid the filets out and if flies wouldn't land on it he'd throw it to the sharks, if they landed he'd eat it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We caught reds and snook non stop today. Also caught a nice 23 in trout, one nice flounder and a huge black drum. We caught fish for about 3 hrs straight. We were heading out to try and target more trout but the wind kicked up and we were in a mud boat so we couldn't poke the nose out. Ill post pics later when im not so beat.

Nice haul. I see flys landing on them, good sign. That means they don't have Ciguatera toxin if the flys land on them. That's how you know if a Barracudda is good to eat according to an old Bahamian years ago - he laid the filets out and if flys wouldn't land on it he'd throw it to the sharks, if they landed he'd eat it.
My father would feed a chunk to the cats. If they didn't eat it. No go...

Why would my computer shut down when I try and attach a photo. It did this before but not all pics do it.

Advertisement
Wow dont know whats going on but cant upload pics. sorry fellas im going to try something else as far as a pic goes so it might not make sense to this thread. Bare with me. well old pics are loading up.

Attachments

• B87D6F77-0C46-468B-8F1F-9A464152B9FC.jpeg
    B87D6F77-0C46-468B-8F1F-9A464152B9FC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
Wow dont know whats going on but cant upload pics. sorry fellas im going to try something else as far as a pic goes so it might not make sense to this thread. Bare with me. well old pics are loading up.
No problem. Need some more just to be sure. Just keep loading.

Nice haul. I see flies landing on them, good sign. That means they don't have Ciguatera toxin if the flies land on them. That's how you know if a Barracudda is good to eat according to an old Bahamian years ago - he laid the filets out and if flies wouldn't land on it he'd throw it to the sharks, if they landed he'd eat it.

My father would feed a chunk to the cats. If they didn't eat it. No go...

Both of these anecdotal methods of testing for ciguatera toxins (and the copper penny trick also) are unreliable, although common.

Advertisement
Def fishy

Both of these anecdotal methods of testing for ciguatera toxins (and the copper penny trick also) are unreliable, although common.
Do you do some work in the field, and if so is there anything that works? That old Bahamian guy said he’d been doing it for an awfully long time, and sure seemed to trust it. With the reefs there, I'd guess it is pretty common.

In the 80s I remember a longline boat brought a haul of Hog Snapper from the Tortugas and was selling it to Wholesalers up the coast starting at Key West. It started a ciguatera outbreak everywhere the boat sold fish.

Advertisement
Do you do some work in the field, and if so is there anything that works? That old Bahamian guy said he’d been doing it for an awfully long time, and sure seemed to trust it. With the reefs there, I'd guess it is pretty common.

In the 80s I remember a longline boat brought a haul of Hog Snapper from the Tortugas and was selling it to Wholesalers up the coast starting at Key West. It started a ciguatera outbreak everywhere the boat sold fish.
i don't do any field work, but i fish a lot, here and in the Bahamas and I've spoken to the company that does the only reliable test for it. also, doctors at Jackson have some specific knowledge about this and know that the test is the only reliable method.

Advertisement
Blew the power head on my Suzuki 350.. this year continues to SUCK ***! probably wont be fishing till sometime next year.

Advertisement
Back