Let's debate... (part 1) Offensive Line

1CN

Sophomore
Offensive Line

1.Who starts?
2.Who's your top 8 or 9 offensive lineman?
3.Who has NFL potential?
4.Can Jahair Jones contribute?
oline.jpg

The Centers
If Gauthier can beat out Linder that’s a good sign because I think Linder can bounce back post surgery for his senior season. Linder has a lot of experience at the position and Gauthier could play a Gall type role and play above his means to get this O-Line opening lanes for Mark Walton. Corey Gaynor is the player I’m really high on and hope he can steal a starting role but the more complicated offensive schemes get the harder it will be for a freshman to start at center right away. Either way, it’s a great trio to have with experience and upside.
https://www.stateoftheu.com/2017/7/...ion-preview-offensive-line-mark-richt-offense

5.Who's the starting center in 2017?

Advertisement
*Darling and Donaldson are inappropriately listed as Tackles, I think.

1. Beginning of season, I guess:

LT Mcdermott
LG Darling
C Gauthier
RG Donaldson
RT St. Louis

2. Starters above + Linder, Brown, Gaynor and Herbert.

3. Keeping the True Frosh who haven't played a live college snap yet out of it, I think Darling and Mcdermott will get looks in the NFL. I think they both best fit either inside or in a zone blocking scheme (especially Darling). Gauthier and St. Louis have the right potential. Let's see what happens with them this year. Donaldson, even as a true Frosh EE, is the most likely because of his size/speed ratio. Look forward to seeing Herbert and Gaynor.

4. No idea.

5. I'll stick with Gauthier to start the season and see if they can keep Gaynor off the field (as a starter).

Here's to helping one of those seniors that came in with huge high school careers get some type of all-something this year. Such a shame they were missed coach the first few years!

I think LuCane got it 100%

Gauthier looked really good last year, KC and Linder inside were killing the O. Especially against Notre Dame. If Linder gets his strength back after the surgery on his shoulder then he may be able to push Darling and have a Linder/Gauthier combo instead. Darling had not impressed me, but I hope he puts it together staying at guard.

Really like the Future Hillery-Herbert-Gaynor and Donaldson(G or RT) combo.

LT Mcdermott
LG Darling
C Gauthier
RG Donaldson
RT St. Louis

3. Keeping the True Frosh who haven't played a live college snap yet out of it, I think Darling and Mcdermott will get looks in the NFL. I think they both best fit either inside or in a zone blocking scheme (especially Darling). Gauthier and St. Louis have the right potential. Let's see what happens with them this year. Donaldson, even as a true Frosh EE, is the most likely because of his size/speed ratio. Look forward to seeing Herbert and Gaynor.

4. No idea.

5. I'll stick with Gauthier to start the season and see if they can keep Gaynor off the field (as a starter).

This is the lineup that'll start but Gauthier could get time at guard with gaynor at center of somebody inside struggles.

Advertisement

Gauthier looked really good last year, KC and Linder inside were killing the O. Especially against Notre Dame. If Linder gets his strength back after the surgery on his shoulder then he may be able to push Darling and have a Linder/Gauthier combo instead. Darling had not impressed me, but I hope he puts it together staying at guard.

Linder is just weak. He wasnt strong before the surgery.

St. Louis, Donaldson & Gauthier are the 3 best IMO, Darling & McDermott have a lot to prove.

I've been hard on McDermott in the past, but I've laid off him for the last few months, but those **** penalties need to come to an end this season.

People act like it's no big deal, but it's an absolute momentum killer & when your Offense is struggling & you might not have a QB that can always move the ball at will, the last thing we need is undisciplined penalties to start drives.

I'm curious to see what Herbert's future will be, supposedly he'll play Tackle, but I've always felt he projects best at Guard.

I think Hillery will redshirt, but I'm super high on this kid, I think eventually he'll be a starting Tackle for us.

Both shoulders were hurt and he had surgery on both. Now that he is recovered he will at worst be a quality backup.

LT Mcdermott
LG Darling
C Gauthier
RG Donaldson
RT St. Louis

4. No idea.

My only disagreement is question 4. JJ may never play a down this year.

Advertisement
I thought I remembered an interview by a coach where they said gaynor was already starter quality. If so, he'll probably break in eventually this year.

I thought I remembered an interview by a coach where they said gaynor was already starter quality. If so, he'll probably break in eventually this year.
Which coach? Gaynor has a crazy amount of hype around him and his projections. I'm excited to watch him play. He'll get one of the best tests possible against our defense. OL are really difficult to project from college to NFL, so imagine from HS to college.

90% sure it was CMR towards end of spring, but I watch a ton of canes interviews/videos so can't say with certainty. He was talking about depth, position by position.

Edit: never mind. He wasn't here in the spring. My timing is off.

Last edited:

Both shoulders were hurt and he had surgery on both. Now that he is recovered he will at worst be a quality backup.

He still is weak. He was getting pushed around before the injury. Go look at 2015.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back