Let Them Test the Market, Mark

U

User-4525

In light of White House officials meeting with collegiate officials and Power 5 conferences expanding their financial support , I wrote an article offering my opinion on the NCAA’s restrictions on student-athletes.

The modern-day collegiate student athlete endures a rough life. The old adage goes, “to whom much is given much is expected,” and, without a doubt, the adage applies to student athletes. According to USA Today, an average student athlete spends up to 43 hours a...

Continue reading...

Advertisement
Did you really write all that? Wow.
he did a full report for class, i encouraged him to make it public. It is absurd how the ncaa acts, especially the thieving of their earning power/likeness.

Emmert tried to act as if he made a monumental move when he expanded the financial support to cover full cost of attendance. But he was so reactive in implementing that just like all of his over policies

I think people give the NCAA too much crap. And I'm not defending the NCAA, but the NCAA has basically become a way for all the power brokers in major college sports to keep up their unethical and possibly illegal behavior. Not enough people focus on how ****** the universities themselves and those in charge of them have acted. That's where all this comes form. The NCAA is an outdated idea and seeing just about everybody realize it has been great. A lot of these universities will have a few people give the NCAA grief, but behind the scenes they want it.

That was a well-written piece and I agree with what you are saying. Just adding my thoughts about how ****** everybody involved is.

Advertisement
I think people give the NCAA too much crap. And I'm not defending the NCAA, but the NCAA has basically become a way for all the power brokers in major college sports to keep up their unethical and possibly illegal behavior. Not enough people focus on how ****** the universities themselves and those in charge of them have acted. That's where all this comes form. The NCAA is an outdated idea and seeing just about everybody realize it has been great. A lot of these universities will have a few people give the NCAA grief, but behind the scenes they want it.

That was a well-written piece and I agree with what you are saying. Just adding my thoughts about how ****** everybody involved is.

Very true and I didn't touch upon the individual universities' greed

i lump the universities in as the "ncaa" since the ncaa only exists because the schools

but too your point, ya...

for example, it was reported (i don;t recall where) that tebow was worth roughly 20-30 million during his time at uf. he was not allowed to capitalize a dime on that, but sure as **** UF did.

this is the case for just about every marketable star at any program.

Look what Johnny football has done for Tamu...200 million maybe?

Last edited:
Advertisement
No one is forcing these kids to sign their letter of intent to play college football. Do the colleges exploit these kids...sure. The kids are also exploiting these colleges for maximum exposure and future earnings.

Tim Tebow and Johnny Football have done quite nicely for themselves and will continue to profit off of their celebrity even after their football careers have floundered. They can thank college football for that.

For every Tebow their is 10 bench warmers that will never see the field and just recieved a $200,000 scholarship and untold future earnings.

Let's be honest, a vast majority of major college football players wouldn't have the opportunity to attend these universitys without thier football ability. Don't like it....choose another career path. Be a doctor or lawyer and pay your own way. Still want to be a football player but don't want to be exploited? Sit out and train for the NFL draft in 3 years.

Start Minor league football for 18-21 year olds if you don't like the current system.

Last edited:
No one is forcing these kids to sign their letter of intent to play college football. Do the colleges exploit these kids...sure. The kids are also exploiting these colleges for maximum exposure and future earnings.

Tim Tebow and Johnny Football have done quite nicely for themselves and will continue to profit off of their celebrity even after their football careers have floundered. They can thank college football for that.

For every Tebow their is 10 bench warmers that will never see the field and just recieved a $200,000 scholarship and untold future earnings.

Let's be honest, a vast majority of major college football players wouldn't have the opportunity to attend these universitys without thier football ability. Don't like it....choose another career path. Be a doctor or lawyer and pay your own way. Still want to be a football player but don't want to be exploited? Sit out and train for the NFL draft in 3 years.

Start Minor league football for 18-21 year olds if you don't like the current system.

I fail to see where acting as an indentured servant for a 4-year scholarship and generating hundreds of millions, and actually billions of dollars for universities, is anything remotely close to fair and equitable. Nobody in the real world wants to work for peanuts in a game as physically dangerous as football, so the gall of these schools to ask 18 year olds to sign over their lives for what amounts to basically nothing, is indescribably criminal to me. Always has been. You toss around the word "exploit" and don't even stop to think of the ramifications of what that word means. That's the reason child labor was outlawed and a minimum wage was established, because people in power would always overstep their bounds and try to get away with everything for nothing, which is exactly what's happening in major college football and basketball.

That's why, whenever I hear about a player taking money under the table, I just shrug and think to myself, "good." Get what you can, because the people in charge would have you getting nothing if they could. It should be illegal what these institutions are getting away with, and I suspect within my lifetime, this will be the case. And subsequently, players will then be paid a fair living wage on top of their scholarships. And the machine will continue to churn billions of dollars, most of which go into the pockets of the coaches and school officials. We have college coaches making more than NFL coaches. Up is down, and down is up.

Uh, except they kind of are. The NFL has a government sanctioned monopoly on professional football. The NFL recruits almost exclusively from college football. So no, they don't really have a choice. If they want to get to the pros, there is only one way.

on average, only 10.2% of the revenue is used to fund the scholarships for the athletes

Of course, NONE of that revenue is actually used on scholarships. Don´t believe me? Then riddle me this: who gives this money to whom?

The universities....ummmmhhh....give themselves the money. It´s an accounting trick for non-profit-status reasons, but colleges don´t actually spend a cent on schollys.

Edit:

This is the only part of your post that really makes sense.

Advertisement
on average, only 10.2% of the revenue is used to fund the scholarships for the athletes

Of course, NONE of that revenue is actually used on scholarships. Don´t believe me? Then riddle me this: who gives this money to whom?

The universities....ummmmhhh....give themselves the money. It´s an accounting trick for non-profit-status reasons, but colleges don´t actually spend a cent on schollys.

Edit:

I know. The 10.2% is probably calculated by taking the average in COA that a normal student would pay and deducting it

Edit:

I know. The 10.2% is probably calculated by taking the average in COA that a normal student would pay and deducting it

Maybe at small private intitutions like UM that happens, but I have a hard time believing that big state schools like UF/FSU etc lose any revenue. Does anyone believe that they admit fewer paying students because of a few dozen athletes? They just add them on top, then grandstand about actually spending out of pocket for the kids.

Edit: not disagreeing with your point, merely saying that, while ALL schools will do what you say, very few will give up any revenue.

Bottom line: ultimately there needs to be a minor league for football. That is the only true way that football players can "test the market." As it is, CFB is working within a model that is untenable in the long run.

Advertisement
Bottom line: ultimately there needs to be a minor league for football. That is the only true way that football players can "test the market." As it is, CFB is working within a model that is untenable in the long run.

The inherit problem with Minor-league football is obvious: It isn't the moneymaker that college football is...

Remember the WLAF (derisively labeled the "LAF league")?

The inherit problem with Minor-league football is obvious: It isn't the moneymaker that college football is...

Remember the WLAF (derisively labeled the "LAF league")?

There has never been a true minor league system for football. CFB has always existed in the landscape of football, and has always siphoned off the top prospects. It has long been the primary feeder for the NFL...without playing ball in college, there is virtually no chance a player will be seen by NFL scouts, which means no chance that players outside the realm of CFB will make it to the NFL.

Without CFB as we know it (or with a greatly reduced CFB that relied only on students who could feasibly get into and make it though college without the need for remedial courses and a system that encourages cheating and cutting corners in the classroom so one can devote time to on-the-field activities), there would be an increased need for a feeder system, and the top players would be able to shop their wares in the market in much the same way baseball players do.

As soon as the NCAA opens the gates and allows Universities to pay their players, Miami will claim hardship pull out from the football business. The next day they will accept yet another $1.6M donation from a former player.

NCAA aside, having the DIMWITS at the White House involved in collegiate athletics is the scariest thing yet. Said DIMWITS have already proven their incompetence in every possible area known to man/woman.

Advertisement
Back