Let me tell you a little bit about Jamar Cheney

So suddenly everyone is ok with hiring the analyst and the first time position coach from Miss State? as if they haven’t *****ed about 2 others with nearly the same resume as Chaney..

Just saying... for the record I think it’d be a solid hire. I’d like to see a former DC or current small school DC like Joseph Gillespie, Nate Fuqua, or Rob Harley (he just became a DC)

Definitely need a recruiter like Chaney and you’ve gotta think that his playing experience could make him a serviceable coach at least.
I'd like joseph.

Advertisement
Cheney, according to some on here, is a good recruiter. He also obviously knows what it takes to be good enough mentally and physically to play LB in the NFL. Whether the latter translates into coaching others up is unknown. Worth taking a chance on. Some pros turn into good teachers and some do not. Never know until put in that position but we need the recruiting part.

Summon Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons

Proven Recruiting Ability 1a and Coaching 1b has to be the priority for our program. Chaney has familiarity with and connections with gator recruiting process and high schools/coaches. Also recruiting SOFL and Southeast/SEC country. Not really concerned about his coaching ability being that he was a college LB and successful Pro LB.

I'd be more comfortable with a younger coach who was more recruiter than coach if we had a full-time DC to ensure the LBs were getting the proper coaching/development. But, as it is, our DC is also our HC and spread thin. This unit was so bad last year; we need a teacher, particularly considering the youth there. I think we are ok with recruiting on the defensive side with T-Rob and DVD.

That said, I'd be ok with the hire.

Advertisement
Cheney, according to some on here, is a good recruiter. He also obviously knows what it takes to be good enough mentally and physically to play LB in the NFL. Whether the latter translates into coaching others up is unknown. Worth taking a chance on. Some pros turn into good teachers and some do not. Never know until put in that position but we need the recruiting part.
Yeah for some reason former LBs make pretty good coaches. They have a good feel for the game.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
He’s from Ft. Pierce & went to St. Lucie Centennial, Kamari Wilson went to PSL Westwood before he transferred to IMG, but he’s basically from the same area as Kamari.

He played LB at Miss St for Dan Mullen & was the assistant recruiting director at UF last year before he became an Analyst at Miss St.

If he’s our LB coach, we land Kamari without question.
Did he play for Diaz?

Trying to be like Clemson. Have their offense and keep rotating guys from inside rather than changing the o every year.
Continuity is big. Constantly changing coaches and schemes has set us back many times. Coaching changes were justified, but if we can somehow maintain some continuity, it would go a long way in getting us where we want to go.

I get what you're saying, where's the LB development going to come from. But I think the play here is for his recruiting acumen and development is being placed as 2nd priority. We weren't exactly horrible at LB with Shaq and Pinckney, we were solid but the room wasn't getting stocked up due to misses at LB in recruiting. Those misses won't happen with Chaney, TRob and DVD in living rooms. Big upgrade from Diaz, Rumph, and Banda in living rooms. I'm good with this hire.
Agree when I saw our linebackers IMO it wasn't coaching mishaps it was a talent issue. Sometimes they made plays but when anyone says we have "good iq" that means the talent is bad. Bring me a recruiter at this point fuq the rest.

I'd be more comfortable with a younger coach who was more recruiter than coach if we had a full-time DC to ensure the LBs were getting the proper coaching/development. But, as it is, our DC is also our HC and spread thin. This unit was so bad last year; we need a teacher, particularly considering the youth there. I think we are ok with recruiting on the defensive side with T-Rob and DVD.

That said, I'd be ok with the hire.

our DC is essentially shoop.

Advertisement
Back