Let’s Talk Conference Pride

Advertisement
The NIL deals will create haves and have nots, even with the $ec, so there is going to have be another division created, like a D1+.

A new "super" conference will be created for the D1+ schools. Because the gap between the haves and have nots will be like a P5 playing a mid major.

F the ACC it's all about UM. U win your in
A rising tide lifts all boats. It is in our best the ACC is good in all-sports even dominant or near par as the SEC. The SEC has 4 teams in the college world series. The ACC has 1. We aren't winning the conference every year in football, period. Even Alabama doesn't win the SEC every year. A strong ACC will matter when the playoffs are expanded. It will matter for television contracts as well. I'm not running around inclined to yell, "ACC, ACC, ACC," but a strong conference overall is in Miami's best interest athletically.

Advertisement
Hilarious. You whine about "petty, personal shots", then you steel my line about your feels? Funny stuff.

You back things up with facts? You mean, when you said you couldn't be bothered to pull TV ratings?

I was at the Miami-UCF game in Orlando. It had MONSTROUS TV ratings in the Orlando market. I know, because I care about those things, and also because I worked at NASCAR at the time, and I was very invested in TV ratings (since TV and radio ratings and advertisements formed part of our state income tax model). Oh, and that was 2009.

Again, I'm not going to go point-by-point, I'm just going to state how ridiculously uninformed your "argument" is. "The ACC doesn't have time to wait the 5-10 years for them to become national TV ratings draws" just illustrates how little you know. You, literally, do not understand these issues. Nobody has to "wait". We are not being paid TV money on a deferred basis. From a contractual standpoint, adding TWO NEW TEAMS, particularly in two Top 20 TV markets, would force a reopening of the TV deal. And the network guys are FAR more knowledgeable about TV ratings than your uniformed generalizations are. The price of a new TV deal would be set IN ADVANCE. Nobody has to wait around "5-10 years". Your comments are just so...factually and logically incorrect.

I don't need to "get some answers". I have far more knowledge in this area than you could possibly know. I have very specific knowledge on how massive TV and radio contracts are negotiated and priced for a major sports property. I know how ratings are monitored.

You keep arriving at stupid conclusions (the Big 12 will become part of a new G5+1) because you are stuck in an old, outdated way of thinking. And that's fine. Continue to tell yourself you know things, I don't care. But the proof is in the pudding. The Big 12 didn't lose its seat at the CFP table. And while the new Big 12 additions will not grow the already overinflated Big 12 TV contract (remember when the networks paid the Big 12 THE SAME PRICE even though they just lost Nebraska and Mizzou?), the Big 12 is gambling on the NEXT contract. By that time, they will likely have added USF and another school.

Yeah, I'll bet with all your sophisticated knowledge of contracts and finance, you're probably one of the last few guys (falsely) claiming that jumping to adidas "paid UM more" than staying with Nike would have.

I'm done. You just don't get it. You're mad that I destroyed your terrible arguments, so you're going to whine about my harshest individual words. This isn't a battle of opinions, you are entitled to your incorrect opinions. But you can't sit around acting as if adding two Top 20 media markets with universities that have gone from football obscurity to (occasional) Top 25 rankings within a 25 year span is garbage. That's just a lie, even if we all hate UCF and USF on a rivalry basis.

I hate Ohio State and Michigan too, but if the ACC had a chance to get them, we would have to do it. And don't try to invalidate the argument based on "yeah, but they're good at football", because I'd make the argument purely on a demographic and statistical basis. Just because UCF and USF do not have as long and accomplished history playing football does not change the issue. Those two schools are massive and are in massive cities.

End "argument".
We both agree TV deal values are set in ADVANCE. My point is I think you are overvaluing UCF and USF in the near future. ESPN is not going to spend anywhere near what Fox pays to broadcast Michigan vs. OSU for a UCF vs. USF game in the next 5 years. After 5 years of solid P5 play and top 20 finishes, perhaps it would get closer, but not up front.

You're right, the argument ended when you mentioned having Ohio State and Michigan joining the ACC would in any way be comparable to UCF and USF being added. I found it difficult enough trying to have a discussion with you being rude. Now that I know you're insane as well, I have to draw the line there. Good day.

2021-22 Conference Distributions/team:

-B1G: $57.2

-$EC: $54.3m

-B12: $40.6m

-PAC-12: $34.4m

-ACC: $30.9m

Listen, this is unacceptable. Came across these two interesting articles. Looks like we’re screwed in the ACC even when it comes to CFP.

Also, The B12 received $8m off the jump b/c of OKSt & Baylor being in NY6 games.

Yeah, Big 12 numbers are going to decrease once the teams shuffle and the new TV deal gets done. They have (unjustly) been over-enriched by the fact that their TV partners paid them the "same total amount" after Nebraska and Mizzou left.

Pac 12 numbers will likely slide a bit, they cancelled more games than anyone during COVID, not sure if there is a TV rights set-off, but they have had the weakest "cable TV carriage" of any of the conferences.

The ACC has a chance for SERIOUS upward mobility if we could add teams and/or improve our cable TV carriage, particularly in the southeast.

From "Big 12" to "ACC", there is a $10M spread. But then, there is a $14M gap before you hit the SEC. It's not the Power 5, it's really the Powerful 2 and the Less Powerful 3.

For the record, I have made an argument for the "A&P Network". The Atlantic (Coast) and Pacific (12) network. Let's get 6 or 8 slots on the TV dial, and start pumping out 24-7 content. Football games start at 11 am EST and go until 1 in the morning (EST).

Wall-to-wall and coast-to-coast. Fvck the Big 10 and SEC. And if the Big 12 dies, they die.

The gap between the ACC and the SEC/B1G is going to grow much wider once the new TV media rights deals kick in for those two conferences.

The rubber is gonna meet the road in regards to conference realignment.

Yep.

The SEC and the Big 10 are not going to lose any teams. If anything, they will poach teams. There aren't strong "non-P5" candidates just hanging around at the dance waiting for someone to ask them.

So I have no idea why absolute d!ckheads on this board are sneering at UCF/USF or acting like the 5th-highest-payout ACC is going to have the pick of the litter for expansion candidates. And if we don't do something soon, we are going to be poached.

A. We need something, ANYTHING that allows us to reopen our TV deal.
B. Then we need to make the most of that reopening.

1655322543631.png

Advertisement
The SEC and the Big 10 are not going to lose any teams. If anything, they will poach teams. There aren't strong "non-P5" candidates just hanging around at the dance waiting for someone to ask them.

So I have no idea why absolute d!ckheads on this board are sneering at UCF/USF or acting like the 5th-highest-payout ACC is going to have the pick of the litter for expansion candidates. And if we don't do something soon, we are going to be poached.

The only thing I can figure is a lot of folks aren't looking down the road on this matter and thus aren't familiar with where this realignment train appears to be headed.

Or many of our fans fully believe the ACC's Grant of Rights agreement can't be escaped or weakened and therefore the ACC's most prominent schools will choose to endure a $50M shortfall each year for the next decade-plus as opposed to following the American Way and getting the lawyers involved.

Last edited:
I understand the "Beating FSU at its best" Crowd. That's a sweet feeling to beat someone in something knowing they are giving their all.

To be honest, **** all that! FSU needs to suffer. If I saw a baby dress in FSU clothes, I would punt that little **** 50 yards.

Their punishment must be more severe. I talking razors and lemon juice suffer. Tied to a chair in a dark room, with it's a small world on repeat suffering.

Yeah, Big 12 numbers are going to decrease once the teams shuffle and the new TV deal gets done. They have (unjustly) been over-enriched by the fact that their TV partners paid them the "same total amount" after Nebraska and Mizzou left.

Pac 12 numbers will likely slide a bit, they cancelled more games than anyone during COVID, not sure if there is a TV rights set-off, but they have had the weakest "cable TV carriage" of any of the conferences.

The ACC has a chance for SERIOUS upward mobility if we could add teams and/or improve our cable TV carriage, particularly in the southeast.

From "Big 12" to "ACC", there is a $10M spread. But then, there is a $14M gap before you hit the SEC. It's not the Power 5, it's really the Powerful 2 and the Less Powerful 3.

For the record, I have made an argument for the "A&P Network". The Atlantic (Coast) and Pacific (12) network. Let's get 6 or 8 slots on the TV dial, and start pumping out 24-7 content. Football games start at 11 am EST and go until 1 in the morning (EST).

Wall-to-wall and coast-to-coast. Fvck the Big 10 and SEC. And if the Big 12 dies, they die.

Yeah, clearly there’s a big difference in revenue between the two at the top & a precipitous drop thereafter. It still boggles my mind how we are dead last in revenue distribution.

Being that I’ve negotiated contracts many times, the only reason The ACC is not even at the B12 level as far as revenue is b/c of the product.

From 2004-2012 the ACC was a ghost factor in CFB. Basketball, baseball, club sports, yes, The ACC has been a factor since 2004 til present (although baseball has been helter skelter come post season for the past 5 or so yrs). We all know Football is the #1 sport regardless of level. So from 2004-12, the conference was a non factor. Then FSU had a a nice showing in 2013, & of course Clemson took the reigns in 2016. However, since 2013, it’s only been 1 team at a time making noise in the ACC. The Coastal has been musical chairs of mediocrity, where a team could win 7 games & qualify for ACCCG some yrs.

That doesn’t make for good negotiations. Meanwhile, in The B1G U’ve had OSU as the dominant party, but they’ve also sent MSU, UofM to the CFP, while Wisconsin have been to multiple Rose Bowls. Well, that makes for good negotiations, when u have at least 3-5 teams annually that can compete or be in conversation. Then u have the SEC which have featured, Bama, UGA, & LSU in the CFP. Add to that, u have had teams like UK & Ole Miss sniffing around 10 wins; again, that’s a great bargaining chip.

****, even The B12 have had OU as their mainstay, but they’ve had Baylor, Iowa St, & OKSt constantly sniffing around until the last few weeks. The B12 adding UCF, Houston, BYU, & UC was actually a good move. Not only does it put them back at 12, but all of those G5 programs have been pretty successful in both basketball & football over the past 5+ yrs.

I’m not sure what the ACC does, but we can do our part moving fwd & bringing the clout to the conference they had hoped for. We do that, we can be a huge domino to get the ball rolling in regards to revenue, but it can’t remain Clemson & who else.

bull horns GIF

Can someone photoshop a Miami logo on the bull and the ACC logo on that dumbass getting launched to the back row?

EDIT: Adding our perennial haters like Finebaum, SEC logo, BIG10 logo, and any other douche who ain't about this U in the crowd, that would be a nice touch too.

Advertisement
The only thing I can figure is a lot of folks aren't looking down the road on this matter and thus aren't familiar with where this realignment train appears to be headed.

Or many of our fans fully believe the ACC's Grant of Rights agreement can't be escaped or weakened and therefore the ACC's most prominent schools will choose to endure a $50M shortfall each year for the next decade-plus as opposed to following the American Way and getting the lawyers involved.

Yes. If you recall, the Big 12 "grant of rights" was first done when Colorado went Pac 12, Nebraska went Big 10, and Mizzou/aTm went SEC. But that was 10 years ago or more, and these deals don't last forever. Texas/Oklahoma are willing to wait out the last couple of years for the SEC pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

But the bigger the SEC pot gets...the more likely someone jumps EARLY and just eats ****e on the damages.

So extend a bid to USF and put Notre Dame on the clock. "Oh, but that will spook ND and push them to the Big 10". Yeah, but if ND was going to join a conference, the Big 10 annual payout is ALREADY $20M more per year than what they would get with the ACC. Give ND the option to get us-and-them affiliated with NBC, or else move on to UCF.

Nobody else in the Big 12 is worth it. All the Texas teams combined wouldn't outdraw Texas/aTm on TV. The states of Iowa, Kansas, and Oklahoma aren't worth it, plus Iowa's and Oklahoma's flagship schools are in the Big 10 or SEC. West Virginia isn't worth it, and Cincy is the ONLY OTHER BIG 12 SCHOOL that makes even the remotest amount of sense.

Let's minimize the Gaytors in Florida. Purely by the numbers, the combined student bodies and alumni bases of UM, F$U, UCF, and USF dwarf UiF (even if you add in Santa Fe Community College).

We really don't have a lot of good choices left. We overlap geographically with the SEC, and everyone is looking at that SEC payout number with greedy eyes...

Advertisement
Back