Lesson learned from Paradise Camp '16.

pimpcane1

Junior
I was thinking today about the McFartlands recruitment and when the staff/fans should have known he wasn't going to sign with UM. The red flags should have come up when he unexpectedly didn't show for paradise camp not when he delayed his announcement close to NSD. I remember a lot of Cane fans pressing Pete about the issue but we never got an answer to why he didn't show up. So maybe he can answer that question now since he committed elsewhere.

Moreover, it got me thinking about others who didn't show up to Paradise camp. Holloman didn't show up even though I'm sure the staff tried to get him on board and he could have rode down with bff dj dallas. Henderson didn't show as I believe they had some kind of practice at his high school. Edwards I believe wasn't there as he was camping at UF.

So this should be lesson to everyone that follows the recruitment of a kid. If a kid doesn't show up to the biggest camp of the year, regardless of if he is an OOS or instate recruit, he is most likely not going to sign here.

Last edited:
Advertisement
McFarland said he didn't make it to Paradise because he couldn't afford to fly down at that time, because his family had already been traveling to other schools & they simply didn't have the budget.

Edwards was at Paradise, in fact, he committed at the end of camp... Also, both Devonta & Jeudy were there & they didn't commit either.

But, I agree with your overall premise though...

Using this logic, why aren't Juedy and Smith apart of Squad 17? They were at Paradise Camp and are now at Alabama... Camps don't mean ish.

Using this logic, why aren't Juedy and Smith apart of Squad 17? They were at Paradise Camp and are now at Alabama... Camps don't mean ish.

He's not saying because you go you will be a Cane. He's saying If you don't go you aren't serious enough about your interest in Miami to actually pick us come NSD. Two completely different things.

And for the most part I'd say this is true for kids in Florida. But for the out of state kids, who its most important to gauge their interest, it's not surprising that kids may not be able to afford flying down and staying in a hotel. **** If I were doing that being from California, the cheapest roundtrip plane ticket I've ever found was like $270 (was usually in the $400-500 range)...and These kids aren't going to come without at least 1 parent. Then you'd have to pay for hotel and food... It can be expensive.

Advertisement
McFarland said he didn't make it to Paradise because he couldn't afford to fly down at that time, because his family had already been traveling to other schools & they simply didn't have the budget.

Edwards was at Paradise, in fact, he committed at the end of camp... Also, both Devonta & Jeudy were there & they didn't commit either.

So if McFartland didn't have the budget to show at Paradise, why didn't the staff didn't know about it until the day of? They were still excepting him to show that day. Knowing how close his parents were to Brown, don't you think they would have relayed the info to the staff earlier that they would not be able to make the camp because of finances?

I have a feeling both Devonta & Jeudy both showed up so they could leverage their situation with Bama. It was no different than Marques Hayes showing up so he could receive his offer from OU.

I mean did you see how disinterested Jeudy was in parascope while on campus?

Last edited:
Jeff Thomas
Kai leon Herbert
Jhavontae dean
Jon garvin
Didn't show up...

there it is, we should have known.

Advertisement

So if McFartland didn't have the budget to show at Paradise, why didn't the staff didn't know about it until the day of? They were still excepting him to show that day. Knowing how close his parents were to Brown, don't you think they would have relayed the info to the staff earlier that they would not be able to make the camp because of finances?

I have a feeling both Devonta & Jeudy both showed up so they could leverage their situation with Bama. It was no different than Marques Hayes showing up so he could receive his offer from OU.

With McFarland the more telling detail would be if they told the staff they couldn't afford to make it down & we didn't "help" with the situation, the problem is we would have to figure out how to do that without breaking any rules.
Ultimately, it's pretty clear we lost McFarland because we didn't outbid Maryland.

With Jeudy you're 100% correct, he had no interest in us at Paradise, he just wanted to show up to camp to dominate... He did the same thing at FNL for UF, that's where the infamous Akeem Dent one on one clip came from... UF thought they would get him after he showed up & killed it at FNL, but he ended up committing to Bama like 2 weeks later in August. Jeudy didn't really care about any camp, he simply just wanted to show everyone that he's the best.

With Devonta, he had Bama as his number 1 from the start, once he decommitted from UGA, Bama had the lead the entire way & never lost it.

BKDee says that he committed to us at some point in the process as well, I'll take his word for it... But I never once believed for one second Smith would sign with any other team except Bama & so did every single recruiting analyst that covered his recruitment. At least 3 LSU writers had him locked in with Bama since September.

Yep...McFarland was a silent to us all year until a week before signing day, but we should have known back in July that he wasn't coming b/c he missed our camp 1,000 miles from home. Makes sense.

When Edwards Decommitted they should have moved on it was easy to see he was a flavor of the month kind of recruit, just some of the comments he made why he backed off his Cane pledge was stupid.

Advertisement
Another smart post. Thinking back on McFarland dad's response, it was almost comical in how obvious his insinuation was.

With McFarland the more telling detail would be if they told the staff they couldn't afford to make it down & we didn't "help" with the situation, the problem is we would have to figure out how to do that without breaking any rules.
Ultimately, it's pretty clear we lost McFarland because we didn't outbid Maryland.

With Jeudy you're 100% correct, he had no interest in us at Paradise, he just wanted to show up to camp to dominate... He did the same thing at FNL for UF, that's where the infamous Akeem Dent one on one clip came from... UF thought they would get him after he showed up & killed it at FNL, but he ended up committing to Bama like 2 weeks later in August. Jeudy didn't really care about any camp, he simply just wanted to show everyone that he's the best.

With Devonta, he had Bama as his number 1 from the start, once he decommitted from UGA, Bama had the lead the entire way & never lost it.

BKDee says that he committed to us at some point in the process as well, I'll take his word for it... But I never once believed for one second Smith would sign with any other team except Bama & so did every single recruiting analyst that covered his recruitment. At least 3 LSU writers had him locked in with Bama since September.

Advertisement
So if they come to the camp they may or may not sign with us on signing day.

****, lesson learned and I'm glad I read this thread.

Advertisement
Back