Leonard Taylor vs. Gerald Willis

CaliforniaCanes

West Coast Canes
Curious what some of the great minds on this board think on this subject.

Both were 5 star talents. Obviously GWIII had issues at UF but by all accounts seemed to be a good teammate at UM. I recall him being absolutely dominant. He changed the trajectory of multiple games. Seemed he was always involved and any moment he would change the game. I was shocked when he went undrafted in 2019.

Leonard Taylor has been a solid player for us, statistically not the game changer that many had hoped. I do believe he played better than his stats show. However he seemed to disappear for long stretches of games.

Strictly based on watching games, I would have thought GW would be a higher draft pick. Meanwhile LT has been in many mock drafts as a first rounder.

Would appreciate some input from you draft analysts.

Advertisement
LT seemed to be playing a lot of nose tackle this year, and GW was playing in the manny defense. so it isn't apples to apples. gw was more dominant for his final season here but LT is a significantly better pro prospect.

Advertisement
Willis had/has a ton of behavioral/off field stuff. If not for that he probably would have stuck with the Ravens or Dolphins.

Unfortunately, over time Willis will be forgotten about but he was a BAD BAD Man that one year he played for us. Will never understand how he couldnt even get on the scout team somewhere. Im not saying he could have been a star in the league but couldnt even get on the scout team?? Even Luther Robinson and Jon Ford had a cup on coffee in the NFL on 53 man rosters. Just doesnt make sense.

Personally, if we swapped LT in that Manny defense for Willis he would’ve been just as, if not more productive than Willis.

Miami had LT playing a lot more 0/1 tech this year than in years past and he did solid in that role.

I’m also taking the guy with much better NFL measurables and potential in Taylor.

Advertisement
sonally, if we swapped LT in that Manny defense for Willis he would’ve been just as, if not more productive than Willis.

Miami had LT playing a lot more 0/1 tech this year than in years past and he did solid in that role.

I’m also taking the guy with much better NFL measurables and potential in Taylor.

GW had great measurables hence his 5 star billing.... That is why I find this so interesting.

How did GW not make a roster?!? How is LT getting 1st round hype?

Both have great measurables. Production wise advantage has to go to GW. Thats what is so confusing to me.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Curious what some of the great minds on this board think on this subject.

Both were 5 star talents. Obviously GWIII had issues at UF but by all accounts seemed to be a good teammate at UM. I recall him being absolutely dominant. He changed the trajectory of multiple games. Seemed he was always involved and any moment he would change the game. I was shocked when he went undrafted in 2019.

Leonard Taylor has been a solid player for us, statistically not the game changer that many had hoped. I do believe he played better than his stats show. However he seemed to disappear for long stretches of games.

Strictly based on watching games, I would have thought GW would be a higher draft pick. Meanwhile LT has been in many mock drafts as a first rounder.

Would appreciate some input from you draft analysts.

Leonard is bigger and stronger than GW.

Both are good 1 techs with lethal swim moves.

Gerald Willis, while lethal at getting in the backfield with his rip and swim, sucked at holding the point of attack and often got washed out. He was an easy double team and wad suspect at run stopping. Gerald played up high a LOT and rarely used his base to hold up and keep linebackers clean.

Manny really did him a disservice as he lost all semblance of gap responsibility and it really hurt his game. Gerald could only play 1 tech for us.

Leonard on the other hand is very stout at the POA and is rarely moved off the LOS, even with the double team. He's far more stout against the run and has great knockback off the snap off the ball. Like Gerald he has a top tier swim move that makes him lethal in the 1 tech.

Leonard has lined up in the 1,3,and 0 techs at least some point at his time at Miami and never looked like it was too much for him. Gerald could NEVER do what was asked of Leonard this season.

You guys forget that Gerald had the luxury of playing next to a **** good 2 deep at Dline.
Leonard has been the ONLY thing worth focusing on for the Miami Dline since Bain came.

Yall have gotta stop looking at stats when it comes to a Dtackle. Their job is to make a play, Only after keeping backers clean and holding their gaps.

Football is hugely about gap exploitation. It's imperative that a Dtackle plays to that understanding. If not your run defense looks like Mannys.

This is Leonard Taylor stats vs Jalen Carters

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231201_194216_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231201_194216_Chrome.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20231201_194144_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231201_194144_Chrome.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 0
NFL scouts know what they are doing most of the time and if they make a mistake the guy is out the league or on a practice squad somewhere. I thought the previous year RJ Macintosh was better the G3

Leonard is bigger and stronger than GW.

Both are good 1 techs with lethal swim moves.

Gerald Willis, while lethal at getting in the backfield with his rip and swim, sucked at holding the point of attack and often got washed out. He was an easy double team and wad suspect at run stopping. Gerald played up high a LOT and rarely used his base to hold up and keep linebackers clean.

Manny really did him a disservice as he lost all semblance of gap responsibility and it really hurt his game. Gerald could only play 1 tech for us.

Leonard on the other hand is very stout at the POA and is rarely moved off the LOS, even with the double team. He's far more stout against the run and has great knockback off the snap off the ball. Like Gerald he has a top tier swim move that makes him lethal in the 1 tech.

Leonard has lined up in the 1,3,and 0 techs at least some point at his time at Miami and never looked like it was too much for him. Gerald could NEVER do what was asked of Leonard this season.

You guys forget that Gerald had the luxury of playing next to a **** good 2 deep at Dline.
Leonard has been the ONLY thing worth focusing on for the Miami Dline since Bain came.

Yall have gotta stop looking at stats when it comes to a Dtackle. Their job is to make a play, Only after keeping backers clean and holding their gaps.

Football is hugely about gap exploitation. It's imperative that a Dtackle plays to that understanding. If not your run defense looks like Mannys.

This is Leonard Taylor stats vs Jalen Carters
I agree with many of your premises, especially the statistics part as they can be deceiving for DL. However, I challenge you and anyone else on this board who thinks LT was terrific at the POA to watch the Clemson game again and focus on LT. I watched him get his a$z kicked by their OL. In particular, watch the series when Clemson drove to our goal line and fumbled. He didn't play a whole lot after that game - I think he may have not played at all in the second half - so I wonder if he got hurt or was hurt. Yes I realize it's a one game sample (one half sample), but it's on film.

Without knowing gap responsibilities, blitzes and stunts, it's tough for a fan like me to assess much more than what I mentioned above.

I agree with many of your premises, especially the statistics part as they can be deceiving for DL. However, I challenge you and anyone else on this board who thinks LT was terrific at the POA to watch the Clemson game again and focus on LT. I watched him get his a$z kicked by their OL. In particular, watch the series when Clemson drove to our goal line and fumbled. He didn't play a whole lot after that game - I think he may have not played at all in the second half - so I wonder if he got hurt or was hurt. Yes I realize it's a one game sample (one half sample), but it's on film.

Without knowing gap responsibilities, blitzes and stunts, it's tough for a fan like me to assess much more than what I mentioned above.

There's no denying He's got some questionable film, similar to Gerald there were of plays where that swim move got him washed out of position a few times over his time here.

It just pales in comparison to Gerald Willis. Gerald was egregious at getting washed out and moved off his position by doubles.

A healthy Leonard isn't getting moved bruh.

This ain't quantum physics bro. Literally anyone can learn whose supposed to have what gap.

Advertisement
Back