Legit Question about our Receivers

Vincofl

Recruit
Since most of you know and have been following our players and recruits since high school, I am interested if you can help me with this.

Watching year after year, I’ve noticed we have been missing something in our wide outs. No one recently seems to have that mental make up to want to go after every ball that’s thrown to them even if it’s contested. I’m looking for the mental trait of the receiver that wants to fight for the ball, thinks every ball is theirs, if the ball isn’t thrown perfectly in our current receivers hands they don’t even try it seems. Having to go through a cornerback to get a ball on our team seems outrageous. Where are the receivers who have Michael Irvin’s mentality. Even though he’s not a receiver and a major head case, kellen Winslow had that. Andre Johnson, **** even Braxton Berrios had that mentality.

I am wondering if we currently have, or have an incoming recruit that you know of that, has that mentality? What I see out there now Wiggins, Pope, Harley, etc I don’t see it.

I am praying we have someone coming in that is built like this. You need to have that makeup for games where the competition is equal or greater to help you rise above. I just don’t see it and hoping we have someone on the roster or coming in with it.

Let me know

Advertisement
You'd think someone who played on both sides like Restropo would be particularly skilled at getting the contested ball. Maybe we'll get to see that soon.

Since most of you know and have been following our players and recruits since high school, I am interested if you can help me with this.

Watching year after year, I’ve noticed we have been missing something in our wide outs. No one recently seems to have that mental make up to want to go after every ball that’s thrown to them even if it’s contested. I’m looking for the mental trait of the receiver that wants to fight for the ball, thinks every ball is theirs, if the ball isn’t thrown perfectly in our current receivers hands they don’t even try it seems. Having to go through a cornerback to get a ball on our team seems outrageous. Where are the receivers who have Michael Irvin’s mentality. Even though he’s not a receiver and a major head case, kellen Winslow had that. Andre Johnson, **** even Braxton Berrios had that mentality.

I am wondering if we currently have, or have an incoming recruit that you know of that, has that mentality? What I see out there now Wiggins, Pope, Harley, etc I don’t see it.

I am praying we have someone coming in that is built like this. You need to have that makeup for games where the competition is equal or greater to help you rise above. I just don’t see it and hoping we have someone on the roster or coming in with it.

Let me know

JT4 and AR15 were our last big YAC type WRs.

One thing I look for not just in WRs but all offensive players are guys who fight for the extra yard.

When we do catch you see our guys run out of bounds. Or not even attempt to make a football move for an additional 3-4 yards.....you have to WANT to do that.

Not to praise the opps....but what I’m talking about is the Kadarius Toney type kid whose effort doesn’t stop.

It’s not that guys can’t do that it’s about effort.

Two things I loved about Deejay Dallas and Travis Homer in recent seasons is that they ALWAYS kept their legs driving even when they get hit.

It’s how homer would drag dudes an extra 5 yards and that’s why he made an active NFL r....effort.

I don’t see that from the current Miami group. We catch a ball and just get tackled and are cool with it. No serious effort and I can highlight what I’m talking about from each game this season if y’all want me to.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If I see Marshall few over a young wide receiver on the field again I’m going to throw my TV out the window

One thing I look for not just in WRs but all offensive players are guys who fight for the extra yard.

When we do catch you see our guys run out of bounds. Or not even attempt to make a football move for an additional 3-4 yards.....you have to want to do that.

Not to praise the opps....but what I’m talking about is the Kadarius Toney type kid whose effort doesn’t stop.

Two things I loved about deejay Dallas and Travis Homer in recent seasons is that they ALWAYS kept their legs driving even when they get hit.

It’s how homer would drag dudes an extra 5 yards and that’s why he made an active roster....effort.

I don’t see that from the current Miami group. We catch a ball and just get tackled and are cool with it. No serious effort and I can highlight what I’m talking about from each game this season if y’all want me too
What you’re talking about is the difference between a tackle football player and a 7 on 7 star. It’s in part the reason I rail against 7 on 7 evaluations so often. You can be good at 7 on 7 and it transfer over to tackle football, but what you show there is not sufficient.

inflatable arm flailing wacky tube man dancing GIF

When we do catch you see our guys run out of bounds. Or not even attempt to make a football move for an additional 3-4 yards.....you have to want to do that.

Two things I loved about deejay Dallas and Travis Homer in recent seasons is that they ALWAYS kept their legs driving even when they get hit.

It’s how homer would drag dudes an extra 5 yards and that’s why he made an active roster....effort.

I don’t see that from the current Miami group. We catch a ball and just get tackled and are cool with it. No serious effort and I can highlight what I’m talking about from each game this season if y’all want me too
I completely agree with you about Dallas and Homer. Of course they weren’t wide outs but that’s what I’m talking about. Full effort fight fir the ball. As I was just thinking I even saw it a little in KJ Osborn.

is there no one on the team at the wide receiver position with this make up?

Advertisement
What you’re talking about is the difference between a tackle football player and a 7 on 7 star. It’s in part the reason I rail against 7 on 7 evaluations so often. You can be good at 7 on 7 and it transfer over to tackle football, but what you show there is not sufficient.

No doubt Lu!

Gotta get those tackle football players in here. Guys who won’t just feel contact and give up on the play.

Travid Etiennes 80 yard run on Ivey was a EFFORT play. Miami had him and the sideline. He WANTED that more than we wanted a stop and he was rewarded.

That’s a mindset thing. These other guys are human beings too. They not ******* Superman. One team wanted something wayyy more than we did and the effort showed.

Ahmond was our last complete receiver. Coley was like the receivers we have now in terms of size but was overall better than what we have now. JT was the last to take the top off a defense any moment.

these wideouts have no identity. What do they do best? Which one is a threat deep? Which one is a threat underneath? Which one can make the congested catches? Which one is a threat to man to man coverage? Which one demands a double team? Which one is a threat to a linebacker or safety in coverage? Who can turn a 10 yard catch into a 60 yard one? None of them which equals no identity.

Advertisement

This and I’ll even throw out there that these WRs have low football IQ. Meaning, they get the plays and playbook but they are not natural football players. Those instincts you see in others, you just don’t see it with these guys. Everything from the mental concentration on no drops, finding the ball, fighting for the ball, reactive with the ball, etc. none of these guys have it. I’d like to see if 7/83/88/12 have it.

I completely agree with you about Dallas and Homer. Of course they weren’t wide outs but that’s what I’m talking about. Full effort fight fir the ball. As I was just thinking I even saw it a little in KJ Osborn.

is there no one on the team at the wide receiver position with this make up?

We haven’t seen it this year so I’ll say no from the players who have gotten snaps.

Just go watch how Ahmon Richards played football. He was stiff arming dudes, hurdling dudes, driving his feet, literally always fighting for a additional one yard if he could get it.

Yes he was super talented but it wasn’t just that. He also had EFFORT. Bruh refused to go down if somebody had a angle on him. And he ALWAYS would at least fight or make an attempt.

Those would get 3-4 extra yards. Sometimes 10+.

That’s a mindset thing. I don’t know if that’s something that can be coached either.

Last edited:
Ahmond was our last complete receiver. Coley was like the receivers we have now in terms of size but was overall better than what we have now. JT was the last to take the top off a defense any moment.

these wideouts have no identity. What do they do best? Which one is a threat deep? Which one is a threat underneath? Which one can make the congested catches? Which one is a threat to man to man coverage? Which one demands a double team? Which one is a threat to a linebacker or safety in coverage? Who can turn a 10 yard catch into a 60 yard one? None of them which equals no identity.
Could not agree more with this post.

just sad

Advertisement
It’s a very simple answer. Miami lacks dual sport athletes. Especially at WR hense why none of them know how to go up for a ball. They are all talented and athletic, but have a F grade for ball skills.

We have 3 of the most uncoordinated D1 WRs I’ve ever seen, Wiggins looks like Bambi on ice out there

It's really incredible. I'm not sure if there's a problem with the S&C area again as it pertains to working on balance, but something is off. You got pros like Kamara training down here during the off-season and there's a heavy emphasis on balance and body control.

For our WRs it seems like every play these guys can finish upright is a miracle. They always look out of control and move like they're running down a hill.

It’s a very simple answer. Miami lacks dual sport athletes. Especially at WR hense why none of them know how to go up for a ball. They are all talented and athletic, but have a F grade for ball skills.
Dual sport isn’t always about skill. It shows a competitive drive. Wanting to play multiple sports rather than compete in the underwear olympics is a mindset thing

Advertisement
Back