Legendary Miami-Dade Coach Charlie Greene passes

Advertisement
Played for him the last year Miami Dade had separate teams across its campuses. RIP, Coach.

Between Greene, Deme Manieri at Miami Dade-North and the coach Miami Dade-Downtown (Hertz?), there were some really good baseball coaches in the area. It's a shame Miami-Dade CC athletics were eventually dwindled to one team per sport, especially since it fed UM baseball.

Last edited:
Between Greene, Deme Manieri at Miami Dade-North and the coach Miami Downtown (Hertz?), there were some really good baseball coaches in the area. It's a shame Miami-Dade CC athletics were eventually dwindled to one team per sport, especially it fed UM baseball.
Back in my day, Dade North and South were just as good as the top D1 programs.

Advertisement
Back in the early 80's my friend transferred from Missouri to Central Florida JC in Ocala to play baseball.
I recall him telling me how good the baseball was at even the obscure JC programs. But, he was amazed at the Miami Dade and Broward teams. He said, they were stacked. So many guys who would have started on teams in the old Big 8.

Back in my day, Dade North and South were just as good as the top D1 programs.

I was taking some classes at Dade North during early 1980s and I caught a few games between Dade-North
vs UM, who used to play each other during preseason and there was played each other on a level field.
In fact, one of Dade-North's players Javier Velazquez later played on UM's National Championship team.
That Miami-Dade squad had several other players drafted, one of them being Odibe McDowell who played
with Barry Bonds at Arizona State and later a few years in MLB. Also, John Cangelosi was another player that
later played in the majors.

Back in the early 80's my friend transferred from Missouri to Central Florida JC in Ocala to play baseball.
I recall him telling me how good the baseball was at even the obscure JC programs. But, he was amazed at the Miami Dade and Broward teams. He said, they were stacked. So many guys who would have started on teams in the old Big 8.

There was some really good baseball late 1970s and early 1980s in south Florida.
My high school, Hialeah Miami Lakes HS, won state championships in 1979 and 1980, nearby Carol City in 1978.
You also had Monsignor Pace who was very good at a lower classification plus Miami Springs had lots of talent too.
Players like Juan Bustabad (Dade-North, 1st round MLB draft), Danny Tartabull, Javier Ortiz (UM,uf, Dade South),
Oddie McDowell (Dade-North, ASU, MLB), Frank Castro (UM), Nelson Santovenia, Nick Essasky (Carol City,MLB), Mike
Maitland (Pace, MLB), Nick Hernandez (Hialeah, 1st round MLB draft), and so many more.....it was no surprise Hialeah Post 32
won the American Legion National Championship in 1978. Lots of credit to the local Little League programs, especially Hialeah
Khoury Leagues which played and won many national tournaments.

There was some really good baseball late 1970s and early 1980s in south Florida.
My high school, Hialeah Miami Lakes HS, won state championships in 1979 and 1980, nearby Carol City in 1978.
You also had Monsignor Pace who was very good at a lower classification plus Miami Springs had lots of talent too.
Players like Juan Bustabad (Dade-North, 1st round MLB draft), Danny Tartabull, Javier Ortiz (UM,uf, Dade South),
Oddie McDowell (Dade-North, ASU, MLB), Frank Castro (UM), Nelson Santovenia, Nick Essasky (Carol City,MLB), Mike
Maitland (Pace, MLB), Nick Hernandez (Hialeah, 1st round MLB draft), and so many more.....it was no surprise Hialeah Post 32
won the American Legion National Championship in 1978. Lots of credit to the local Little League programs, especially Hialeah
Khoury Leagues which played and won many national tournaments.
Tartabull was a Beast...

Advertisement
****, just seeing this. Coach was a good man. Knew him well. May he RIP.

I was taking some classes at Dade North during early 1980s and I caught a few games between Dade-North
vs UM, who used to play each other during preseason and there was played each other on a level field.
In fact, one of Dade-North's players Javier Velazquez later played on UM's National Championship team.
That Miami-Dade squad had several other players drafted, one of them being Odibe McDowell who played
with Barry Bonds at Arizona State and later a few years in MLB. Also, John Cangelosi was another player that
later played in the majors.
Bucky Dent, Warren Cromartie and our own AA Orlando Gonzalez are a few more that come to mind from the '70's.

Bucky Dent, Warren Cromartie and our own AA Orlando Gonzalez are a few more that come to mind from the '70's.

Kurt Bevacqua and North Miami HS teammate Steve Carlton, Mike Piazza, Jaime Navarro, Mickey Rivers, Alex Fernandez (after UM), Jon Nunnally, Placido Polaco are a few others.

Kurt Bevacqua and North Miami HS teammate Steve Carlton, Mike Piazza, Jaime Navarro, Mickey Rivers, Alex Fernandez (after UM), Jon Nunnally, Placido Polaco are a few others.
Didn't realize Carlton, Piazza, etc. also played there. Quite the baseball factory.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back