Learning how to finish

wacane

Sophomore
I'm not going to overstate going up there and beating a 5-5 team. But this team has gotten so used to losing and quite frankly accepting losing. Wins like this are big in changing the culture around here. I'm hopeful. I think we have a bright future

Advertisement
The close out drive was impressive. Last year we are three and out and game comes down to final drive.

This may be best win of the season.

Great win

I believe Walton is the first one to crack 100 yds against their defense all year.

Props to Manny D and the defense

The close out drive was impressive. Last year we are three and out and game comes down to final drive.

This may be best win of the season.

Idk about best win of the season (I think Pittsburgh was a better overall performance), but definitely another step in the right direction

This is what I mean by culture change taking time. Young players starting to understand what it means to play through the whistle, never take a play off, be well conditioned and trust technique late in the game. We never would close a game out like this with Golden, it would have been a fg attempt that could have ended in disaster or giving the ball back to NCST with 1:15 on the clock and hoping the D can hold. This is year one and if you don't see the trend arrow pointing up, it's because you intentionally don't want to .

Advertisement
Could go either way. Walton executed to perfection in final few drives. At same time this was also a 20-17 game if not for a questionable chipping call.

Could go either way. Walton executed to perfection in final few drives. At same time this was also a 20-17 game if not for a questionable chipping call.

So you are saying the refs were giving us calls 200w.gif

Good post. Final drive was huge. In previous years we would have been lucky to pick up a first down and make them burn their time outs, and then sweat out our defense getting gashed 15-20 yards at a time and just hold my breath and pray the clock runs out before they inevitably score.

Felt good to put the game away on O and then go out and force 4 straight incompletes on D, those are the types of things good teams do and I think we are making our way there.

People can downplay our quality of wins the past 3 weeks all they want but I think in addition to the wins, the way we have won has been very important and like OP said, can go a long way towards changing the culture around here.

If you want to play the what if game, we also had a scoop and score that they didn't give us credit for.

Advertisement
LOL at refs giving us calls, they didn't even review the forced fumble by Carter and I didn't think the over turn on Carter/Jenkins was conclusive either but whatever makes you think we didn't control that game in the second half.

If you want to play the what if game, we also had a scoop and score that they didn't give us credit for.

Only mentioned what if for the above question. We had multiple calls go against us that greatly effected later plays. Some games this stuff happens and others it barely does. I'm excited overall with how we finished but not excited by some aspects

I'm not going to overstate going up there and beating a 5-5 team. But this team has gotten so used to losing and quite frankly accepting losing. Wins like this are big in changing the culture around here. I'm hopeful. I think we have a bright future
big step forward today no doubt!

Advertisement
Back