Learning from past WR classes… when in doubt, speed out

COCane4Life

Recruit
Premium
Navigating the 2023 WR class is the biggest challenge we face in recruiting this year. It’s vital that we look beyond the stars in the WR class and find traits in guys that typically translates to success on the field

Let’s take a look at the instate class of 2018. Mark Pope, Kevin Austin, Brian Hightower, Anthony Schwartz, Elijah Moore, Warren Thomson, Xavier Williams , Tyquan Thornton and Tutu Atwell.

Here are some of the other lower ranked 4*’s nationally Rondale Moore, Seth Williams, rashod Bateman, Chris Olave(3star).

The remaining studs at the top were Amon Ra St. Brown, Derion Kendrick(converted cb), Jaylen Waddle, Jamar Chase, Justyn Ross, and Terrace Marshall.

2018 just like 2023 was an absolutely loaded WR class in state and nationally. 2018 we struck out. Just an epic level of failure. We can’t do the same this year.

So how do we decide? The one common trait almost all of the guys who had successful careers had was high level speed. The 40 times for some of these guys.

Ja’Mar Chase 6’1 200+ Lbs: 4.38
Kevin Austin 6’4 200+ lbs: 4.43
Schwartz 6’0 185lbs: 4.27
Elijah Moore 5’10 178lbs: 4.35
Ty Thornton: 6’2 182 4.27
Tutu Atwell: 5’9 165 4.32
Jaylen Waddle 5’10 182 4.37
Terrace Marshall 6’2 200: 4.38
Rondale Moore 5’7 181 4.29
Rashod Bateman 6’2 210 4.39
Chris Olave 6’1 187 4.39
Seth Williams 6’3 211 4.49
Amon Ra St 6’0 197 Brown: 4.51

Speed doesn’t lie. These guys are nightmares for a defense because they get separation on long routes and they beat angles on short/intermediate catches leading to ridiculous yac. In our 18 class pope had verified speed but he couldn’t put on the weight or add the strength necessary to compete at a high level. On top of that hands were questionable. One could make a strong argument he should’ve switched to CB like Derion Kendrick although weight would have still been an issue. Wiggins also had the speed but brick hands ultimately doomed him. He like pope probably should’ve been playing corner. Neither Hightower or Ezzard had the speed to compete at this level.

When in doubt go with the verified fast guys. By this formula Jalen Brown is an absolute must get. After him it gets tricky. Jean runs on Miami NW’s 4x100 but we don’t have great track times verified. Next guy who I think is a must get is Robby Washington. He’s dumb explosive and fits into the realm of verified fast guys. After him, Nathaniel Joseph. He’s undersized but is a guy that shows the explosiveness to make plays at the next level. The Top of the class nationally has gotta be Zach Branch. Verified 10.33 100m sure fire low 4.3 high 4.2 guy. Those guys don’t miss often.

I love Hykeem’s tape and he adds an element of size we don’t have. But is he Justyn Ross or is he Justin Shorter? Seymour seems to be getting better but does he possess the elite speed necessary for a guy his size to truly make an impact? As much as we love Florida WR’s are there any opportunities to grab a guy out of state. A guy that comes to mind is Karmello English.

The coaches have their work cut out for them. This is why Mario makes the big bucks. He recruited the monster WR class to Bama that changed their entire offense. Let’s hope he can do the same here.

Last edited:
Advertisement
SPEEEEED WE NEEEED. Been saying it for years that we are slow af in the skill positions. Was told thats not true that we have speed but for some reason we scare nobody.. I know that is one of the top things Gattis looks for so hopefully changes soon

Saw that Zach Branch film, dude not only has 10.3 speed he is shifty as ****, dude is gonna be a problem. Has impact superstar written all over him. To be that fast but also elusive and make first guy miss ability? Sheesh

Navigating the 2023 WR class is the biggest challenge we face in recruiting this year. It’s vital that we look beyond the stars in the WR class and find traits in guys that typically translates to success on the field

Let’s take a look at the instate class of 2018. Mark Pope, Kevin Austin, Brian Hightower, Anthony Schwartz, Elijah Moore, Warren Thomson, Xavier Williams , Tyquan Thornton and Tutu Atwell.

Here are some of the other lower ranked 4*’s nationally Rondale Moore, Seth Williams, rashod Bateman, Chris Olave(3star).

The remaining studs at the top were Amon Ra St. Brown, Derion Kendrick(converted cb), Jaylen Waddle, Jamar Chase, Justyn Ross, and Terrace Marshall.

2018 just like 2023 was an absolutely loaded WR class in state and nationally. 2018 we struck out. Just an epic level of failure. We can’t do the same this year.

So how do we decide? The one common trait almost all of the guys who had successful careers had was high level speed. The 40 times for some of these guys.

Ja’Mar Chase 6’1 200+ Lbs: 4.38
Kevin Austin 6’4 200+ lbs: 4.43
Schwartz 6’0 185lbs: 4.27
Elijah Moore 5’10 178lbs: 4.35
Ty Thornton: 6’2 182 4.27
Tutu Atwell: 5’9 165 4.32
Jaylen Waddle 5’10 182 4.37
Terrace Marshall 6’2 200: 4.38
Rondale Moore 5’7 181 4.29
Rashod Bateman 6’2 210 4.39
Chris Olave 6’1 187 4.39
Seth Williams 6’3 211 4.49
Amon Ra St 6’0 197 Brown: 4.51

Speed doesn’t lie. These guys are nightmares for a defense because they get separation on long routes and they beat angles on short/intermediate catches leading to ridiculous yac. In our 18 class pope had verified speed but he couldn’t put on the weight and add the strength necessary to compete at a high level. On top of that hands were questionable. One could make a strong argument he should’ve switched to CB like Derion Kendrick although weight would have still been an issue. Wiggins also had the speed but Brock hands ultimately doomed him. He like pope probably should’ve been playing corner. Neither Hightower or Ezzard had the speed to compete at this level.

When in doubt go with the verified fast guys. By this formula Jalen Brown is an absolute must get. After him it gets tricky. Jean runs in Miami NW’s 4x100 but we don’t have great track times verified. Next guy is who I think is a must get is Robby Washington. He’s dumb explosive and fits into the realm of verified fast guys. After him, Nathaniel Joseph. He’s undersized but is a guy that shows the explosiveness to make plays at the next level. The Top of the class nationally has gotta be Zach Branch. Verified 10.33 100m sure fire low 4.3 high 4.2 guy. Those guys don’t miss often.

I love Hykeem’s tape and he adds an element of size we don’t have. But is he Justyn Ross or is he Justin Shorter? Seymour seems to be getting better but does he possess the elite speed necessary for a guy his size to truly make an impact? As much as we love Florida WR’s are there any opportunities to grab a guy out of state. A guy that comes to mind is Karmello English.

The coaches have their work cut out for them. This is why Mario makes the big bucks. He recruited the monster WR class to Bama that changed their entire offense. Let’s hope he can do the same here.
Best post of the off season! I am a verified Speed ***** and you are exactly right. Speed has a more consistent and bigger impact than size. Recruit the faster guy(s) then the fastest with size.

Advertisement
We have a Need for Speed. Another element that gets tricky for us is if we only take 3 WRs due to the immediate crisis situations we find ourselves along both sides of the LOS, at CB and at LB.

If I were a betting man I'd bet Mario takes about 5 apiece on both sides of the LOS. Then you take 3 CBs, 2-3 LBs, and that's a significant portion of our 25 class limit right there. Only 9 slots left and one will be a QB, 2 RBs to build depth which leaves us with 6.

WR class will be no larger than 3 which sucks but it makes sense when looking at the depth chart for OL/DL/CB/LB.

Last 3 spots are Safety-Tight End...and then maybe you leave a spot for a big time WR that wants in at the final hour, Innis type.

Advertisement
10.8 as a jr is fast.He will likely be under the 10.5 range when he enrolls at miami and that will make him one of the fastests wrs in our room.
Do we have any 10.5 runners on the team now? Chaney comes to mind pre-injury but not now.. ehhh

Agree 100% on speed. Also, show me short shuttles for everyone but our Go Route guy, 40 times are critical. But I still remember Marcus Maxey would beat out Devin Hester in the 40. That short area burst is more valuable overall, IMHO.

Speed Kills.....
img_4_1647345599560.jpg

Advertisement
10.8 as a jr is fast.He will likely be under the 10.5 range when he enrolls at miami and that will make him one of the fastests wrs in our room.
I don’t necessarily agree with that. I see him being a 10.7 type guy and with his route running he will look fast.

Jean is supposedly 10.8 100 which is not blazing but fast.
Jean has not sniffed 10.8. He’s had some windy meets but his best time is by far 22.3 in the 200. But his most recent meet he ran 23.2 with a tailwind. I don’t wanna talk bad about the kid but the only 100 time we have is 11.6 into a headwind this year. I think it’s fair to say Jean has a lot to prove from a speed standpoint. He is not close to the fastest guys on the track.

Advertisement
Recently - We've had guys with speed - Jeff Thomas, Dee Wiggins, Mark Pope. We've had little guys that are dogs - Berrios, Restrepo.

Our key to success will closing the guys that are a better mix of both.

Jean has not sniffed 10.8. He’s had some windy meets but his best time is by far 22.3 in the 200. But his most recent meet he ran 23.2 with a tailwind. I don’t wanna talk bad about the kid but the only 100 time we have is 11.6 into a headwind this year. I think it’s fair to say Jean has a lot to prove from a speed standpoint. He is not close to the fastest guys on the track.
My fault on that, someone reputable mentioned that he was around 10.8 when he committed. My info was directly from that

10.8 is blazing for a high school kid.

I dont think Speed is an end all be all at wr...its obvious...Mark Pope had good track times.

This wr class is tricky because we have a number of options LOCALLY. And I still think we should still go national abit...but if we can grab the top dogs locally i think we close it down.

If we can somehow grab a Jalen Brown, Hykeem Williams, Andy Jean, Bobby Washington group that is SCARY....as guys move up n down the next tier should be prioritized the Tyler Williams (i want him in the class), Nat Joseph, Lamar Seymore, William Fowles

The guy i have as a wildcard would be

This would be a play to lock in Rashada at QB. Williams works well out of the slot.

Im not concerned about wr recruiting for this class because its TOO many options. Im almost in the mind to only take 3..maybe a 4th...because next year's group is eerily similar to this years locally honestly.

Advertisement
Back