Leadership Question

AL CANE

Freshman
Who are the leaders on this team? And no not the captains who go out for the coin toss. Who is/are the guy(s) that get everyone hype on the field, talks **** to the other team after a big play, gets in players faces when they ***** up and rallies the troops on the sidelines.

In the glory days we were loaded with these types of players. Guys who oozed confidence and leadership like Jerome Brown, Bratton, Sapp, Irvin, Al Blades, Ed Reed, Dorsey, Ray Lewis, Vilma, Joaquin Gonzalez, Shockey, KW2, and the list goes on. All of the top teams in the country have this right now.

Do we have any right now? IMO we do not and it is a major issue. Am I right or wrong? If so, who are they or who can you see them being in the future?

Advertisement
I see some of that from the younger guys (Duke, Tracy), but not so much with the upperclassmen. I guess Morris and Denzel would be the leaders. I didn't really think of KW2 as much of a leader...he was certainly vocal with the media, but I don't know if that's how he was in the locker room or on the sidelines.

Ive seen jenkins talk ****, get on his teamates (highsmith, and be vocal with his teamates positively. I could see him and bush be a serious anchor next yr. because of the injury i feel as though bush has lost some confidence and leadership for now. Obviously in practice and team meetings id say chick is a big time leader too.

Unless your around them outside of football games you can't even guess who the leader(s) are. I've witnessed this first hand.
I graduated from Auburn and was there during the 2010 Nat Champ season.
Everything thinks Cam or Nick Fairley but the undisputed leader of that team was Darvin Adams lol...A ok receiver from MS was the MAN...Nobody really listened to or respected Cam
Sounds crazy but its the truth...I know all this because some of my best friends were Eric Smith,Josh Bynes, Philip Pierre Louis, and bunch of the other players.
We bonded on being Miami Hurricane fans that didn't get to go to Miami lol

Advertisement
Unless your around them outside of football games you can't even guess who the leader(s) are. I've witnessed this first hand.
Everything thinks Cam or Nick Fairley but the undisputed leader of that team was Darvin Adams lol...A ok receiver from MS was the MAN...Nobody really listened to or respected Cam
Sounds crazy but its the truth...I know all this because some of my best friends were Eric Smith,Josh Bynes, Philip Pierre Louis, and bunch of the other players.

LMAO should've made gameday signs for T.V.

Our "leader" was more concerned with eating a Snickers than the fact we just got embarrassed in primetime on national TV.

Tells you a lot.

Our "leader" was more concerned with eating a Snickers than the fact we just got embarrassed in primetime on national TV.

Tells you a lot.

What do expect... He was tutored by J12. We still play very flat and with little emotion. Something needs to change in that regard as well.

LMAO should've made gameday signs for T.V.

lol I really thought about it plenty of times...Alot of those guys are still undercover Die Hard Canes fans especially Bynes and Philip Pierre lol...I threw the U up at Deon Bush and Ricardo Louis on their recruiting visit lol

Last edited:
Advertisement
Thanks, Randy. This is a direct reflection of him as you can't create leaders. I would put our comeback wins more so on Al's leadership than our players who have a "refuse to lose" mentality. Clearly not the case after watching VTech game.

lots of Indians, but no Chiefs. Everyone looking around for someone to make a play. Portis was right when he asked who's a back up. **** near everyone raised their hand. Duke's injury ripped any fight/heart out of the team or so it seems...

Advertisement
Duke is big time leader of the old stripe. With his mouth, his effort, his work, and his results. Maybe got a couple quiet types--Hurns and the like-- but that is about it. Maybe DP but only Duke would slide into one of our old teams seamlessly. Tracy could be but I don't think the system allows it--he just can't get the performance needed. I think we will need a little for fire from the assistants to boost the leadership of more players. You can't tell people to lead, you have to make it part of culture.

I thought Gaines was the "general" of the defense?

no offense to you sir...but, Gaines couldn't lead me to the toilet. The one thing that sticks into my mind the most is how he and Crawford BOTH whiffed on that VT running back with NO blocking. How in the heck do you do that? Where do they teach that at?

Advertisement
Hurns has been tryin all year, but it's without a doubt Duke. I can just imagine him running into guys and saying, "I ain't scared of you b***h!

I thought Gaines was the "general" of the defense?

no offense to you sir...but, Gaines couldn't lead me to the toilet. The one thing that sticks into my mind the most is how he and Crawford BOTH whiffed on that VT running back with NO blocking. How in the heck do you do that? Where do they teach that at?

Don't shoot me Iirc players like DP saying this in those camp report vids with chip

Advertisement
Back