Leader emerging for fullback spot

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
FullSizeRender.jpg

Although not the most heralded position on the field, the Miami Hurricanes will have a new starting fullback for the 2017 season.

Graduate transfer Marquez Williams was a solid contributor in his one season at Miami during his final year of eligibility, but a player within the program is looking to catch the attention of Mark Richt for the 2017 season.

Redshirt freshman Dewayne Washington II has been Miami's first-team fullback in spring practice and sources say he has been more than holding his own at the position. Washington, a walk-on, was the scout team's defensive MVP as a linebacker and defensive end last season in his freshman season in which he redshirted.

Washington wears #47 on the field and is listed at 6-feet, 240-pounds. He also played fullback in high school.

Miami is also expected to use tight end Chris Herndon out of the backfield as they've done before.

[HUDL]video/3/2668458/5721d3389a91677e74a544f6[/HUDL]

Advertisement
Nice. Becomes more important given how thin we are at RB. Need more lead blocking coming from the FB.

Really hope Richt makes sure he has a QB who doesn't look handicapped trying to run a play from under center before we try the whole fullback thing again. If we're good to go in that department, then I'm all for more lead-blocking and the occasional throw out to the FB to keep defenses on their toes.

More power I runs coming on 1st down for 1 yard gains. Awesome!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Really hope Richt makes sure he has a QB who doesn't look handicapped trying to run a play from under center before we try the whole fullback thing again. If we're good to go in that department, then I'm all for more lead-blocking and the occasional throw out to the FB to keep defenses on their toes.

With our pass catching threats, hope we don't see too much of this guy honestly

Honestly this is an outdated postion in college football. Unless we have Herndon back there creating mismatches in the passing game and another athletic tight end on the field or receiver I would like to see less of this position on the field tbh

good job this kid is from my area (Raleigh, NC) and he is a smart and athletic kid, good for him he will do well.

Advertisement
No more 12 or 21 personnel unless we're near the GL!!!

Get with the times man!

Somebody has to tell the Atlanta Falcons that the FB position is out of style.
It seems like theirs is always open for 20 yard gains due to all the other weapons they have.

The best offenses know how to utilize WRs, RBs (Including FBs), TEs and show teams various formations and looks.

And people love to bring up Richt's past at F$U and how he did his fast break stuff but he still had FB's like William Floyd a Zach Crockett pounding the guys off the line when need be.

Most important position on the field. I want to play football in a phone booth. Give me a super jumbo package 90% of the game, and I'm winning that pesky Coastal in a few years.

I dont understand how some of these kids can can afford to walk on @ Miami. One semester is at least 6 grand, almost double a state school.

Advertisement
I think him and Herndon can hold this position down....then split out Irving JR and Haskins. Herndon is a threat out of the backfield..he has race ability and is 6'3 250

Advertisement
I dont understand how some of these kids can can afford to walk on @ Miami. One semester is at least 6 grand, almost double a state school.

Loans and grants. If a kid is from a poor family, he can get huge free money to attend UM. ****, back in the Tony Russell days they'd be paying him to attend UM with grants.

Somebody has to tell the Atlanta Falcons that the FB position is out of style.
It seems like theirs is always open for 20 yard gains due to all the other weapons they have.

The best offenses know how to utilize WRs, RBs (Including FBs), TEs and show teams various formations and looks.

And people love to bring up Richt's past at F$U and how he did his fast break stuff but he still had FB's like William Floyd a Zach Crockett pounding the guys off the line when need be.

Can you imagine ah threat coming from the fullback position? The match ups on the outside as far as blocking on the perimeter...check out the Falcons tape....I have....and it's amazing the big chuck plays the fullback was responsible for...think of this as something the opposing defense has to prepare for....

Honestly this is an outdated postion in college football. Unless we have Herndon back there creating mismatches in the passing game and another athletic tight end on the field or receiver I would like to see less of this position on the field tbh

It's outdated until someone see it as a mismatch and burns the opposing team with it...

Advertisement
Back