LB play will be the key to the game tomorrow

Flagg, Jennings, and Steed all looked really good last week against Duke. Much tougher task this week. If they show up again, we may be set next year.
Much tougher ask this week, loved the shut out last week but that duke offense was basura.

Carter and Williams are legit and so is their passing game, backers are going to have to deal with a lot of motion and misdirection, hope they’re up the task.

Advertisement
Bring our best and there are no keys.

We’re flat out better than them and will roll.

This is true, historically, every week (sans Clemson). But that's where our struggle is.

No one out-talents us, in any game, including bowl games, other than Clemson. (Obviously when fsu is up and running, their talent level is on par with us. But not so much lately)

But your point is valid...if we bring our best, we win this game going away. Hopefully our boys are 'up' for this game.

ND put on a second half clinic against these guys. Don’t really trust Baker.

Advertisement
So if McCloud plays and not Austin Cave or Flagg we will be in trouble
paul rudd smiling GIF by Anchorman Movie

That worries me for Jennings and McCloud who are slow to mentally process plays. Is this game is about decision making for lb’s then you have to play Flagg. Even if he’s physically able, he’ll make the correct decision much more often than not.
Or you do like an earlier poster mentioned about ND. Dictate on defense whether it will be a run or pass and live with the results.
Whoever it is , I dont care.
Make a coaches decision dont rely on the mental make up of a 20 year old.
Make a call live with it and learn.

Worst thing you can do with RPO is have someone play in the middle ground. Same idea, as a pitch option with a DE, if he plays monkey in the middle, neither the RB or QB get covered and the pitch option goes all the way downfield.
If you saw that and that's what they did, then good on them!
This is true on a triple option pitch but not a zone read. On a pitch play, you have an assigned responsibility and you play your assignment. On a zone read, the free rusher should try to make the QB take as long as possible to make his decision. The longer the QB stands there holding the ball in the running back's stomach, the more time you're giving the blocked defenders to get to the ball carrier. You're also slowing down any forward momentum a running back may have by making him stop and wait to get the ball.

Advertisement
I'm gonna keep this real and put down my orange and green colored glasses for a second...

Don't let our performance against Duke cloud your judgment. UNC is the best offense we will face all season (better than Clemson IMO) They have a pro caliber QB and multiple weapons at RB, WR and TE with excellent depth. The only thing holding UNC back from being elite is their O-line. I've watched them play multiple times and I expect our LBs and secondary to be challenged and gashed from time to time. We will have our hands full.

A critical key to slowing UNC down is the play of our defensive line, especially the tackles who will be called upon to stop the run and make UNC one dimensional. We need both Ford and JHH back for this game. We can't rely on just Nesta playing the entire time. Also, Dunson or whomever is covering the third WR will get picked on constantly. Unlike the Duke game, you can't hide our inexperienced backs this week. Our horrendous CB recruiting over the last few years might comeback to bite us in the ***. We will need to make in-game adjustments to limit damage. Manny, and to a much lesser extent Blake, have a decent history of adjusting after getting gashed in the first half. Keep your fingers crossed that they do the same this weekend.

Much has been made about the intangibles for this game (Manny vs Mack, revenge for last year, etc.). But, this game is huge for UNC. If they beat us, they will ruin our season and possibly leapfrog us for bowl consideration. Don't underestimate their motivation to beat our ***...

As for UNC's defense...well I like that matchup....😜

Last edited:
This is making me think of the Clemson game. Not because UNC is that good, but it’s a game where beforehand I was sure our O would do their thing, so I was pinning my hopes on our D stepping up to limit their potent offense.

Similarly, for this game, I find myself assuming our O will score as much as we need to. King and Co. better have a good game. Clemson taught me that if our O has an off day, we’re probably in trouble.

I'm gonna keep this real and put down my orange and green colored glasses for a second...

Don't let our performance against Duke cloud your judgment. UNC is the best offense we will face all season (better than Clemson IMO) They have a pro caliber QB and multiple weapons at RB, WR and TE with excellent depth. The only thing holding UNC back from being elite is their O-line. I've watched them play multiple times and I expect our LBs and secondary to be challenged and gashed from time to time. We will have our hands full.

A critical key to slowing UNC down is the play of our defensive line, especially the tackles who will be called upon to stop the run and make UNC one dimensional. We need both Ford and JHH back for this game. We can't rely on just Nesta playing the entire time. Also, Dunson or whomever is covering the third WR will get picked on constantly. Unlike the Duke game, you can't hide our inexperienced backs this week. Our horrendous CB recruiting over the last few years might comeback to bite us in the ***. We will need to make in-game adjustments to limit damage. Manny, and to a much lesser extent Blake, have a decent history of adjusting after getting gashed in the first half. Keep your fingers crossed that they do the same this weekend.

Much has been made about the intangibles for this game (Manny vs Mack, revenge for last year, etc.). But, this game is huge for UNC. If they beat us, they will ruin our season and possibly leapfrog us for bowl consideration. Don't underestimate their motivation to beat our ***...

Listen to this guy.. He knows something.. UNC offense is really good and really explosive..

Best set of RB Miami has faced this season by a lot. They average 220ypg rushing as a team. Need these dudes to step up
You're on point. Stopping the run is the key. ND did it. Gave us the blueprint. If you can't stop UNC's run game then it's a nightmare, because it opens up the passing game at that point you're now stopping neither.

Advertisement
They RPO teams to death, looks like ND after first few drives just said **** it we will make decision in rpo game for them and live with results, worked really well for them as I dont think UNC scored much after that.
3 points after the first quarter I think. Notre dame manhandled their oline. They had no answer

Since beau corrales has been out they haven't really thrown to the third receiver. I think he has 12 catches. They lean on brown and newsome with williams and carter catching out of the backfield. Replacing corrales with simmons has been a big downgrade. We're lucky he's out still.

They like to pull a lot in the run game. Good chance for our line to shoot some gaps.

Lots of contested throws for their offense. If ever there was a time for DBs to turn their heads....

Advertisement
Yeah, LB play from us will really determine how close this game is going to be. I’m afraid if we see 53 out there, we’re fked. UNC does not run up the middle really. They give really varied looks on those outside runs. The ability of the defense to sense pass vs run is going to be key. Because the DEs will need to know when to stay home or not. We cannot be over committing to the pass rush when they counter or draw. And for that, the young LBs need to be there to smack em.

This is true, historically, every week (sans Clemson). But that's where our struggle is.

No one out-talents us, in any game, including bowl games, other than Clemson. (Obviously when fsu is up and running, their talent level is on par with us. But not so much lately)

But your point is valid...if we bring our best, we win this game going away. Hopefully our boys are 'up' for this game.
That is true. No one out-talents UM in their division. The difference is competent coaching, which we finally have.

Advertisement
Back