Lawson Speaks

CanesNation55

Thunderdome
Since May, Hillsborough (Fla.) four-star quarterback Dwayne Lawson has been committed to Miami. But as Lawson sees it, the circumstances have changed.

Tonight, Lawson took to Twitter to announce that he's decommitted from the Hurricanes. He also explained to HokieHaven.com that he's still considering Miami, though it's now a two-team race with Virginia Tech.

"I wanna thank the Miami coaches for the great opportunity they gave me," Lawson said. "At the time when I committed, it was the best opportunity for me. They had a freshman quarterback playing and all these other things going on and I felt like that was the best decision. Now, it's different. They have an all-American freshman quarterback and he's probably gonna be there another three years. I wish him the best, I wish the program the best and we'll see what happens from there. I don't consider myself committed there anymore."

Though others have been in the mix, Lawson said that right now, he's not considering other schools.

"It's pretty much been Miami and Virginia Tech," Lawson said. "Ole Miss was in the running, but they have three quarterbacks. I just know it's too much for me to come in and make the situation harder than it should be. USF, I talked to them, but I don't really feel comfortable staying home, with how my parents felt about it. I didn't think that was the best situation, either. We'll just see how it goes."

Lawson officially visited the Hokies Nov. 28 for their win over in-state rival Virginia. And he came away quite impressed.

"I had a great time hanging out," Lawson said. "The school and the campus are beautiful. It's just a great campus and I got a great feel for the people who were around me. Everything that I wanted to see, when I got up there, I saw. Everything I wanted to feel, I felt. We'll just see how it goes. I'd have to adapt to being hundreds of miles away and the cold weather."

But Lawson said he felt like he adapted well to offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler. The two of them have talked plenty about where Lawson would fit in.

"He's just an up-front guy," Lawson said. "Usually, when you talk to recruits, you hear the same thing and everybody says the same thing. When you talk to Coach Loeffler, he's telling you what's actually gonna happen. That's how I feel about him."

Overall, Lawson said he likes what he sees in Virginia Tech. But he also wants to weigh his options before making another decision.

"The coaches are great," Lawson said. "They seem like they really value education and that's one of my main things. The opportunity to succeed is way better than the opportunity to fail, because they give you all the resources. If you fail at Virginia Tech, you probably wanna fail."

It was a big season for Lawson, who jumped up to four stars, the No. 56 player in Florida and No. 16 dual-threat quarterback. But like many who receive that label, Lawson feels like he can do more.

"We have designed quarterback run plays and that's what I do," he said. "But most of the time, I'd rather throw the ball and beat you with my arm. If you blitz, I don't wanna try to break 80 tackles. At the next level, it's not gonna work. You've gotta beat somebody with your arm and that's the key. Knowing where your guy is gonna be, knowing where the pressure is gonna be. I ran for 800 yards, but most of that was called runs. A lot of that stuff won't work at the next level, though, so I might as well enjoy it while I can."

For his efforts, Lawson will play Jan. 4 in the Semper Fidelis all-American game. But he deflects much of the praise to those who were around him this season.

"I think it definitely started in the off-season, with the players on our team buying into the system and buying into what we're doing and the hard stuff," Lawson said. "We bought into the hard stuff. That waking up at six o'clock in the morning and going to a workout, doing stuff that no one else is doing in the summer. When the season got started, the offense we run is probably one of the most complex in Florida. We do everything they do in college. The guys on my team are just incredible. I can't give enough credit to them. The offensive line is undersized, but they go out fighting. As far as me, I give my teammates, coaches all the credit for believing in me, giving me the opportunity to make plays and I bought into the program."

Now, he's deciding what college program he'll buy into.

Advertisement
Never a fan of a dude scared of some comp. He will be a good one for VT, and will be the game he gets most hyped for unfortunately. Good luck to the dude except for 1 Saturday a year.

Advertisement
Puzzling there is no guarantee Kaaya can make it through the season without injury that something we have to pray about. We are one play away from looking like sugar to s##t next year who is this kid listening to other recruiters. Kaaya, Rosier, and Crow going to have to breathe deep next year at every hit on the QB.

Funny he says its a two team race....lol..no it isn't. ..... Miami has moved on knwing he is gone....

Puzzling there is no guarantee Kaaya can make it through the season without injury that something we have to pray about. We are one play away from looking like sugar to s##t next year who is this kid listening to other recruiters. Kaaya, Rosier, and Crow going to have to breathe deep next year at every hit on the QB.

this is the Truth - but a bad play by Lawson
one play away from getting on the field
and let's be honest, first year - redshirt, second year, full time back up
start by third year as a sophomore
this is a soft move

Advertisement
Would be nice to have QB options. Not entirely ready to sit back and proclaim Kaaya the great one for three more years (we've been bitten in the *** for over a decade thinking that a QB will profress and be a star (KW, Jacory, Morris) and then thrown away multiple seasons.

One twisted ankle from playing and the boy isn't even smart enough to realize that. He'd rather go to VT, freeze his balls off, play on an even worse team, where QB's go to die! Good luck kid!

Advertisement
Nice read.

Well you got to seea glimpse of a "recruiter". Everything said bny him is what VAa Tech coaches spouted to him its painfully obvious....Add to it Va Tech's oc is a complete bum...but dude sold Lawson on Va tech hard as ****.....probably outworked Coley and crew there...because i would be all over Lawson about design packages and him being the back up one year learning under Kayaa..but....NO....just got outworked by muhfuggin Va Tech who sold "if u fail at va tech..well you probably were gonna fail"..lol...dude there qs have suck sin\ce the first VICK

Kids going into a situation where he can possibly start as a true freshman. Can't really fault that.

I'm not mad at him for going elsewhere, but does this kid not realize that the VA Tech OC is a dead man walking?

Advertisement
This kid kinda reminds me of the kid from dwyer a few years back, can't even say i wish him the best.. good luck kid

Kind of wondered if this would happen, especially after we picked up another great prospect at QB for 17 this last week. He has Kaaya ahead of him for at least two years, maybe three, then he has to fight off Allison and Centeio when Kaaya is done. Kids today want to play right away and that just wasn't going to happen here for at least two years. He could come and maybe play if Kaaya catches an injury, but he could also sit on his *** for the next three years.

Nice read.

Well you got to seea glimpse of a "recruiter". Everything said bny him is what VAa Tech coaches spouted to him its painfully obvious....Add to it Va Tech's oc is a complete bum...but dude sold Lawson on Va tech hard as ****.....probably outworked Coley and crew there...because i would be all over Lawson about design packages and him being the back up one year learning under Kayaa..but....NO....just got outworked by muhfuggin Va Tech who sold "if u fail at va tech..well you probably were gonna fail"..lol...dude there qs have suck sin\ce the first VICK

I like this kid and thought he was going to be a Miami QB. I remember him saying he was a pocket passer when he committed. Now he if going to VT which had one QB is even and he was a runner. Kaaya can give you pause but we have nobody but him -- that does not exactly mean you will sit on bench. Kaaya will be 3 and done -- with a degree. So kid would redshirt one year and back up one.

Advertisement
Back