Lawrence reaches 1,000 career points in Senior Night victory over Pitt

View as article

Paul Austria

Premium
Despite the tumultuous season that has hindered the Canes, seniors Anthony Lawrence, Ebuka Izundu, and Zach Johnson did everything in their power to make sure that Senior Night ended on a positive note and boy did they come up big.

With his 27 points and his parents in the stands, Lawrence eclipsed 1,000 points wearing orange and green as Miami beat Pittsburgh 76-63 in their final home game of the 18-19 season. He also added 11 rebounds and four assists.

Izundu also contributed with a double-double of his own, adding 14 points and 14 rebounds, while senior transfer guard Zach Johnson scored 12 points. Izundu’s mother, who flew in all the way from Nigeria, was also in attendance to see Izundu play his final home game with Miami.

"We weren't worried about seniors getting points or doing this or that," Lawrence told the Associated Press. "We just came out and played our game and executed very well."

Pitt had three double-digit scorers led by guard Jared Wilson-Frame, who scored 18 points, all coming from three-pointers.

Miami led most of the way and the Panthers had a couple of opportunities to make a run and cut into the lead, even cutting the deficit to a single points but their performance at the charity stripe eventually did them in, as Pittsburgh only made 12 of their 23 free throws.

This win tops off a four-game home winning streak to end the season as well as deals the Panthers a 12th consecutive loss. Next up, the Canes will travel to Blacksburg on Friday for their season finale to take on Virginia Tech. Miami has been unable to get a conference road win this season.

Advertisement
Always thought highly of Amp. I don't think we got the very best of him offensively but he was a steadying influence throughout his career. I think he will get a tryout we shall see.

Look at all the players that have come and gone around him. He was a rock here. Even as a frosh, he made his presence felt, the media spoke highly of his athleticism. Then Coach L brought in highly touted players that rightly so took the limelight away from Amp. However, when called upon, he always gave all out effort and picked up the slack.

We'll miss him for sure in Coral Gables.

Fun game last night. Nice job to the kids for not quitting. They played horribly under manned.

Advertisement
Great guy who seems to be a great kid. We need more Florida kids like Anthony Lawrence at the U playing hoops.

Thank you for the memories. I am sure you will be the future coach of the Miami Hurricanes basketball team one day.

He was an MVP. If not Valuable, certainly Versatile. If he were a football player, he would be at the top of Bill Belichick's draft board.

Amp was on a mission last night. It was nice to see double-doubles for both he and Izundu in their last home games. It’s just too bad the building was absolutely dead in the second half.

Advertisement
Amp was on a mission last night. It was nice to see double-doubles for both he and Izundu in their last home games. It’s just too bad the building was absolutely dead in the second half.

Guy is the Swiss army knife of basketball players. Amp caan do everything.

I'm not shocked that the building was dead, it's the end of a non winning season. We've seen people barely give a **** when this team was at least decent, of course everyone is bailing. These seniors deserved better, but it is what it is.

Not the most athletic player (at a school not known for athletic players), he turned out much better than I projected when we signed hiim. A credit to the team and university. He'll be missed, along with Ebuka and Zach.

I wonder how much our lack of atmosphere hurts us in recruiting.

Advertisement
The atmosphere has been pretty good under Coach L up until this year. Wasnt much to get excited about and our home schedule sucked this year. Next year Duke, UVA, Syracuse, Lville play here. They didnt this year.

The atmosphere has been pretty good under Coach L up until this year. Wasnt much to get excited about and our home schedule sucked this year. Next year Duke, UVA, Syracuse, Lville play here. They didnt this year.
I get it. This was a bad year. But ... do you really believe there were 7900 "paid for" seats for every game and 80% or more of those who forked out that money chose to just figuratively throw those tix away?

Advertisement
I get it. This was a bad year. But ... do you really believe there were 7900 "paid for" seats for every game and 80% or more of those who forked out that money chose to just figuratively throw those tix away?
I don’t think they touted this season as being sold out

They didn’t claim to sell out this season, and approx 1,900 of those seats are ostensibly in the student section and not sold except during breaks.

I would guess that a decent number of seats have been purchased for resale though. There have definitely been seats around me in years past that were never filled by the same person twice. Those seats tended to be empty this season.

Thanks for the info.

In the recent seasons where the AD did claim a sold out arena, there still seemed to be a large number of empty seats for even attractive games, which always made me doubt their "sold out" statements. Also, with Hernandez/Huell still expected to play, why would the season tix sales drop off precipitously this year? I guess the former season ticket holders had a crystal ball and foresaw what was coming?

Advertisement
Back