Lawrence Cager

Advertisement
But he averaged 2-3 drops a game. That is unacceptable for a WR at this level.

My biggest issue with him wasn't the drops, those are a problem for any WR, but specific to him, the way he played the game relative to his size drove me crazy. He played like an ordinary WR of typical size and would easily lose reps to physically overmatched DBs.

All our receivers averaged one catch the last 6 games. There weren't a lot of good passes to catch
Difference is not all of them had the opportunities Cager had. Watching him trying to catch a football was like watching a ***** catch a bar of soap but the kid still played for whatever reason. We threw deep ball after deep ball to him and every time the CB was in his pocket. Kids not even a jag he’s worse.

My biggest issue with him wasn't the drops, those are a problem for any WR, but specific to him, the way he played the game relative to his size drove me crazy. He played like an ordinary WR of typical size and would easily lose reps to physically overmatched DBs.
If you can’t high point the football with your hands and catch everything with your body, what’s 6’5’’ good for when you are slow and not agile?

Advertisement

This. I hope he understands that its going to be hard for him to make it to the next level if he cant outmatch a physical DB. It always seemed like he had a hard time against teams that pressed, even though his size should suggest he can handle it.

If he can learn to hold onto the ball and play to his size, he should be good. It's just that those are things a senior WR shouldnt still be working on..

Last edited:
WR room was a disaster last season and it began with Richards getting hurt. It's been refreshing to read about Osborn, Pope, Hightower, Payton, with Thomas hopefully playing the Percy Harvey role. Wiggins, Njoku, Harley have to be ready because injuries are always a thing at WR.

Difference is not all of them had the opportunities Cager had. Watching him trying to catch a football was like watching a ***** catch a bar of soap but the kid still played for whatever reason. We threw deep ball after deep ball to him and every time the CB was in his pocket. Kids not even a jag he’s worse.
That's a lot of hate. Kid was not that bad. In fact he made many a catch in critical moments. My only issue was the drops. I think he was misused. He's not a speedster. He more of a possession guy. That's why he was covered up on deep routes.

That's a lot of hate. Kid was not that bad. In fact he made many a catch in critical moments. My only issue was the drops. I think he was misused. He's not a speedster. He more of a possession guy. That's why he was covered up on deep routes.
More of a possession guy? How many fades did he drop in his career? He had trouble against a 5’8 CB and had to throw him two fades and he still almost dropped the second one. You don’t know football to know he’s not good.

Advertisement
If you can’t high point the football with your hands and catch everything with your body, what’s 6’5’’ good for when you are slow and not agile?

He had his moments where he did the right thing, but inconsistency will plague his tape. That game against FSU in '17 was embarrassing for him.

WR room was a disaster last season and it began with Richards getting hurt. It's been refreshing to read about Osborn, Pope, Hightower, Payton, with Thomas hopefully playing the Percy Harvey role. Wiggins, Njoku, Harley have to be ready because injuries are always a thing at WR.
What do you mean the "Percy Harvin role?" I mean are you really comparing our guys to a gata?

Also Percy Harvin took about 5 handoffs a game and rarely ran any kind of jet sweeps. That's not what JT is going to do here. Jet sweeps is the only way he is going to take a hand off.

Percy Harvin was a legit RB and WR, there isn't many like him that's why i laugh when people get caught up in the "percy role" BS. He could play both at a very high level.

He had his moments where he did the right thing, but inconsistency will plague his tape. That game against FSU in '17 was embarrassing for him.
What do you mean do the right thing? I remember the post route in the VT when Perry threw a bullet right in his hands and it almost slipped through. He can’t catch with his hands. Throw on top he runs like he has cement in his shoes he’s just not very good. UGA will regret using the scholarship on him.

Cager was the definition of looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane. Actually Jane has better hands

Advertisement
But when he actually caught a ball you’d thought he just had the super bowl winning catch
LOL so true. Sadly for him, he will be memorialized in Coral Gables as the guy who would drop a 1/2 dozen balls in a game but then celebrate like he just won a championship after making a 7 yd catch. I can picture it right now as I'm typing this.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back